Ryzen has pins.... PINS!!!

13 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

PGA isn't that big of a deal.

1. If the pins are bent, then they're quite easy to bend back.

2. The cost of motherboards should theoretically be less, although I haven't seen any indication of this in the "leaked" prices of AM4 motherboards by ASUS and MSI.

Well initial baseline pricing info was available but I can't find a link to the moba+cpu (this is chip+aio) price but it was present on amazon at least for a short while https://archive.fo/2017.02.21-212937/https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W5Q7B38/

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

PGA offers a more secure connection (less wiggle) and better contact area. This contact area leads to higher stability of electrical connection, which is one of the reasons (not the only) that AMD has historically had great OC performance as the voltage varies less due to the better connection.

It may be "easy" to bend the pins back, but anyone who's worked with thin metal will tell you that you really shouldn't be bending metal back and forth too much because it'll just break off.

From what I heard many moons ago, you basically get one shot at fixing a bent pin. If you overshoot it, your next attempt may be at the fatigue point where it breaks.

10 minutes ago, killcomic said:

You know how easy it is to mess it up real bad? There's a reason why Intel stopped using pins.

It's really not that easy to bend the pins.  CPU's are fragile, and it isn't supposed to take much/any force to install it in the motherboard.  Don't drop it.  Don't put tings down on top of it.  Don't be an 800lb gorilla, open the release lever, line up the cpu with where it is supposed to go, and drop it into the socket.  Close the lever.  Don't touch it again for a bit.

13 year old me was able to do this without breaking stuff.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

13 minutes ago, mrdoxxy said:

exactly so they should start using lga

No he is talking about amd's chipset of pins lga is more expensive

18 minutes ago, normpearii said:

Really? You know how easy it is to bend the pins back with a credit card?

You just treat it as carefully as you would placing your Intel CPU into your new motherboard and you have zero problems.

Mechanical pencil is even better for it.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

6 minutes ago, JohnBRoark said:

No neither motherboards are much cheaper with/without pins.

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

the pins are made of a gold alloy, one of the metals that bend the most before breaking :|

Replacing dead motherboard is cheaper than replacing dead CPU.

Hopefully you're not one of those people that spends more money on their motherboard than their CPU...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I dont mind the decision really. I prefer LGA since I worry about possibly wrecking an expensive CPU but tbh Ive had more luck fixing PGA CPUs than I have LGA Mobos.

I have personally messed up pins on a 965 and an FX4100 but both of them are fine. Wish I could say the same for the LGA775 board I wanted to fix LOL

8 minutes ago, killcomic said:

But really, how many people use AMD these days?

A lot of people use AMD. It isn't like it is rare that anyone uses it. Why are you concerned with bending the CPU pins but not Mobo pins?

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

It doesn't matter. Both have thier plus and minuses.

What's funny is the fanbois are looking for anything they can find to make them feel better or look down on about Ryzen.

23 minutes ago, Da OG Fish said:

Maybe it's copyrighted? I like how Intel puts their pins on the mobo.

AMD use LGA aswell, their Magny-Cours Opterons use LGA.

7 minutes ago, Krillingt75961 said:

A lot of people use AMD. It isn't like it is rare that anyone uses it. Why are you concerned with bending the CPU pins but not Mobo pins?

Because I've seen plenty of bent CPU pins but never an issue with mobos.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

1 minute ago, killcomic said:

Because I've seen plenty of bent CPU pins but never an issue with mobos.

It can happen just as easily though. You should be careful with how you handle it.

9 minutes ago, Krillingt75961 said:

My backup computer is still rocking a 965BE @3.7Ghz and it works great as a daily driver. 

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

AMD released a statement about this for consumers concerned about bending the pins:

Problem solved! :D

Unfortunately they never said the same thing about their GPUs.

I'm sure we all remember the RX 480 interview with Linus.,,,

29 minutes ago, killcomic said:

Working and living my life.

I do that too, GF uses my Pc way more than I do and I knew AMD still had pins for Ryzen lmao silly cat. 

I don't really understand those comments that speak like using pins is one of those older technologies that are bad seen by today's standards, which are just a lot worst than what we have today.

It's an option, you need pins, either on the board or the CPU. Putting them on the motherboard makes them fragile, easy to break and more expensive. Putting them on the CPU makes it so the pins on it can bend leaving the CPU unusable. 

Personally, All the times I had CPU with pins, they weren't super easy to bend, there has to be some sort of force involved, they can rest standing on the pins on a table and they won't be damaged. I've seen bent CPU Pins a couple of times, and they were really easy to fix, just make the pins straight again and install the CPU back.

I think Intel protects its product by choosing to have the pins on the mobo, and that AMD is trying to appeal to customers that have less money to spend on tech.

TL;DR I think both options (pin on mobo or CPU) are valid, and one is not better than the other. 

37 minutes ago, mrdoxxy said:

holy shit why cant they start using lga??? is it only licensed to intel or what

No. They have some legitamate reasons for not using it but I think its bullshit. I killed my 8320 because of that socket design

Breaking things 1 day at a time

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

I do that too, GF uses my Pc way more than I do and I knew AMD still had pins for Ryzen lmao silly cat. 

Also I wasn't in the market for a CPU, now I am.

34 minutes ago, killcomic said:

You know how easy it is to mess it up real bad? There's a reason why Intel stopped using pins.

Every CPU uses pins. Intel puts them on the motherboard (LGA) and AMD is putting them on the CPU (PGA).  It won't be any different in the long run; once the CPU is installed its not like pins will be bent anyways. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Haaa that also helps. Only really following Ryzen myself is because the mobo in her PC is sketch and she has a 2500k I donated to her. Instead of sourcing used hardware from 2011 (again), I'd rather just go all new. 

So what chances do you have of bending the Cpu pins or bending the Mobo pins? You can drop the Amd easy and bend them or drop the Intel cpu into the socket and bend them. Equal chances to happen for each. Are you clumsy?