Ryzen has pins.... PINS!!!

You know like i'm not argueing with Amd or anything i'm fine with it as (long as it dosne't affect performacnce)isn't it better to put the pins on mobo because Cpus are smaller and therefore eaSIER to drop then say a atx mobo

My life

7 minutes ago, Krillingt75961 said:

So what chances do you have of bending the Cpu pins or bending the Mobo pins? You can drop the Amd easy and bend them or drop the Intel cpu into the socket and bend them. Equal chances to happen for each. Are you clumsy?

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

1 minute ago, Phate.exe said:

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems.

Im gonna keep that line lol.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

Ryzen branding will continue to use red... RED!!! Can you believe it? In 2017!! Is blue licensed to Intel or something?

I was seriously considering a Ryzen build, but I'm not so enthusiastic any more :( 

11 minutes ago, Krillingt75961 said:

So what chances do you have of bending the Cpu pins or bending the Mobo pins? You can drop the Amd easy and bend them or drop the Intel cpu into the socket and bend them. Equal chances to happen for each. Are you clumsy?

Shit can happen. I rather minimise the risks.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Are bent pins really a common issue? I've had an FX 8350 that I've transferred between several Mobos and a 6700k that I've put in a couple of Mobos and have never bent a single pin or had an issue with anything other than the pins on the USB header...  In all the computers that I've worked on over the last 20 years, I've never had to worry about the CPU pins, be it PGA or LGA.

3 minutes ago, killcomic said:

Shit can happen. I rather minimise the risks.

By that logic, shit can happen and you bend the pins in your Mobo. Honestly you're looking at something that is a non issue.

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

1 minute ago, Krillingt75961 said:

By that logic, shit can happen and you bend the pins in your Mobo. Honestly you're looking at something that is a non issue.

Like I said, I've come across bent CPU pins, never a mobo. So it is an issue to me.

Probably won't stop me from doing a Ryzen build, but I rather it didn't use pins.

1 minute ago, killcomic said:

Like I said, I've come across bent CPU pins, never a mobo. So it is an issue to me.

Probably won't stop me from doing a Ryzen build, but I rather it didn't use pins.

So not only have you damaged hardware which is your own fault even though accidental but you're planning on doing a build anyway. Why make a thread about it?

2 minutes ago, Krillingt75961 said:

So not only have you damaged hardware which is your own fault even though accidental but you're planning on doing a build anyway. Why make a thread about it?

Who said I damaged it?

If you're happy with pins, then good for you. Take a bow.
This is my concern and I do have a right to make a thread about it.

2 minutes ago, killcomic said:

Who said I damaged it?

If you're happy with pins, then good for you. Take a bow.
This is my concern and I do have a right to make a thread about it.

If you haven't then why worry about it? You have a chance at damaging anything. Just because you feel the risk is greater, doesn't mean its wrong or you shouldn't do it. If you want the LGA design then stick with Intel so you don't have to worry about anything becoming damaged.

8 minutes ago, Krillingt75961 said:

If you haven't then why worry about it? You have a chance at damaging anything. Just because you feel the risk is greater, doesn't mean its wrong or you shouldn't do it. If you want the LGA design then stick with Intel so you don't have to worry about anything becoming damaged.

I just wish AMD would move forward with the design of the whole package. I don't trust pin design but the actual chip is looking really, really good.

I just don't want to deal with bent pins on what could potentially be an exceptionally good CPU.

1 minute ago, killcomic said:

I just wish AMD would move forward with the design of the whole package. I don't trust the pins design but the actual chip is looking really, really good.

I just don't want to deal with bent pins on what could potentially be a very good CPU.

It isn't an outdated design at all. Just different that what is being used. Be careful with it and you should be fine. A large percentage of Amd CPUs never have an issue with bent pins or if they do, they get fixed. Any horror stories you read about were due to negligent owners. If you came across them, ask yourself why the CPU was in the condition it was in. If you're confident in your ability to not damage it, then jump on it.

A lot of people have no issue with PGA so what exactly are you moving forward to?

2 hours ago, killcomic said:

But really, how many people use AMD these days?

I use both. Prefer AMD, put a AMD in my most recent build. 

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

I use an old HP Laptop forked up on top of a photography textbook. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list. 

Only on LTT forums do I come across such threads like these.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

it doesnt change anything to have the pins on the CPU or the pins in the motherboard socket...if you drop the CPU on the motherboard socket you're fucked in both cases :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

12 hours ago, killcomic said:

Like I said, I've come across bent CPU pins, never a mobo.

Nah... That's quite unbelievable... 

Even Mr Linus himself had issues with bent mobo pins. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

The is no issue with pins unless you are retarded. If you drop the cpu wrong in an Intel socket then you are going to bend the pins on the board and if you drop the amd cpu in the socket you will bend the pins on the cpu,  so really you are screwed either way :P. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I like how pins on the CPU are the end of the world, but having them on the motherboard's socket instead just solves all problems. I usually either keep my CPUs in their box, or actually use them. Haven't tried throwing them to my dog yet, that could be a problem.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

15 hours ago, killcomic said:

You know how easy it is to mess it up real bad? There's a reason why Intel stopped using pins.

I've never bent a PGA pin (Going back to 386) yet I have bent LGA pins & nearly ruined a z97 board just because my shirt sleeve was hanging too low. 

PGA is way more user friendly.

Intel just forked the cost onto board partners cause they can & who would argue.