Sony files Patent for a Device looking similar to Nintendo Switch.

AG1233

A patent was filed back in 2015 but published only now which features a device looking similar to Nintendo Switch.

As spotted by NeoGAF user ponpo, the patent was filed back in 2015 but was only just recently published. While the controller pieces on the side look as though they may be detachable, they aren't explicitly shown as being removable from the device.

Like Nintendo Switch, the device looks very much like a tablet with two controller halves on either side, but instead of Joy-Cons flanking the screen, the half-controllers on either side of the device look like the handles on a DualShock 4.

It would be interesting to see if Sony does end up making a device like that.I doubt many people would be interested in another handheld from Sony after what happened to PS vita.

Source-

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/17/sony-files-patent-for-what-looks-like-a-switch-esque-handheld

sony-patent-1487345867104_610w.jpg

It does remind me of Razer Edge, and I'm sure there are few more smartphone/tablet extensions/docks that look the same. I hope this doesn't go the usual Samsung/Apple road.

Slikovni rezultat za gamepad controller razer edge

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

after the vita who in is right mind would pick another sony handheld? They'll probably stop supporting it the day after release 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I mean it gives me hope for a Vita 2, but that patent looks hella ugly.

I'm thinking it's probably a licensed controller of some kind for Android/iOS that will allow non-Sony smartphones to run PS Now and Remote Play.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

It does remind me of Razer Edge, and I'm sure there are few more smartphone/tablet extensions/docks that loos the same. I hope this doesn't go the usual Samsung/Apple road.

Slikovni rezultat za gamepad controller razer edge

Probably a "dock" for the smartphones. As the Xperia phones can use PS remote play 

A lot of people got seriously burned with the Vita.

At least when Nintendo realized they screwed up the WiiU, they still TRIED to do the best they can by delivering quality and fun game experiences to its users and push the life span of the console to the most they can. What Sony did with the Vita is the same mistake that Sega did, where they really burned its users.

Assuming Sony actually goes ahead with another portable console, I expect most of its user base will try the Nintendo Switch. At least Nintendo saw the big issues with the Vita, and ensured to not do them. Like: standard microSD card, with up to 2TB card support, and standard USB Type-C (bringing in durable connector, easy for the user to use, faster charging, allowing external battery packs of the user choosing). Nothing proprietary on that end.

40 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

A lot of people got seriously burned with the Vita.

At least when Nintendo realized they screwed up the WiiU, they still TRY to do the best they can by delivering quality and fun game experiences to its users and push the life span of the console to the most they can. What Sony did with the Vita is the same mistake that Sega did, where they really burned its consumers.

Assuming Sony actually goes ahead with another portable console, I expect most of its user base try the Nintendo Switch. At least Nintendo saw the big issues with the Vita, and ensured to not do them (standard microSD card, with up to 2TB card support, standard USB Type-C (bringing in durable connector, easy for the user to use, faster charging, allowing external battery packs of the user choosing). Nothing proprietary on that front.

I love my vita and the 50+ games i have. I don't get how people feel burned.  Plenty of third parties supported it. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

I love my vita and the 50+ games i have. I don't get how people feel burned.  Plenty of third parties supported it. 

How do you like the Vita? Ive always wanted another PS handheld since I got rid of my one of the OG PSPs. (Should have kept it)

I love my vita mostly because of its awesome JRPG titles and random games like the senran series. I am really sad that gravity rush 2 didn't make it to the vita. I don't think sony would release another handheld though. Vita got rekt by the 3ds. 

2 hours ago, corsairian said:

How do you like the Vita? Ive always wanted another PS handheld since I got rid of my one of the OG PSPs. (Should have kept it)

I have to say im pretty bias. I have dev kits and late prototypes.

That being said its a serious RPG machine. But if those kind of games arent your thing then its hard to recommend. I also enjoy hunting down physical copies of games that only came out in other territories. 

Big psp fan too. 

13 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

PS Switch Vita Pro.

PSSVP

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

4 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

For me, it's almost exclusively the fact that one basically has to buy a memory card if they didn't buy a Vita that came with an 8GB card bundled already, because the first gen Vita had no storage for game data, and the second gen (what I have) only has 1GB that cannot be used in tangent with the memory card. The memory card itself was proprietary (to combat piracy, but how well that worked is up for debate), so no SD cards. And you still paid quite a bit for the Vita and another chunk for the absolutely necessary memory card, unless you waited for a sale or bought second hand.

In contrast, every 3DS came with a microSD card preinstalled, and they weren't very expensive. And Nintendo STILL provided the cheaper 2DS for those that couldn't afford, or couldn't justify the cost delta of, the 3DS.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I can see some dude holding that thing, playing combat flight simulator, while running around the house making those plane noises.

The VITA must be a PITA to setup :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

55 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

For me, it's almost exclusively the fact that one basically has to buy a memory card if they didn't buy a Vita that came with an 8GB card bundled already, because the first gen Vita had no storage for game data, and the second gen (what I have) only has 1GB that cannot be used in tangent with the memory card. The memory card itself was proprietary (to combat piracy, but how well that worked is up for debate), so no SD cards. And you still paid quite a bit for the Vita and another chunk for the absolutely necessary memory card, unless you waited for a sale or bought second hand.

In contrast, every 3DS came with a microSD card preinstalled, and they weren't very expensive. And Nintendo STILL provided the cheaper 2DS for those that couldn't afford, or couldn't justify the cost delta of, the 3DS.

Id argue that it worked to curb piracy.  Only up until late last year there was no way to play backups. And even now its not a permanent hack either. Every reboot you have to redo it, or some have made a script to redo the hack on boot. 

At the very least,  we will have a micro sd card mod before years end. 

6 hours ago, Drak3 said:

to combat piracy, but how well that worked is up for debate

didn't work at all considering you can do the same thing you could with the PSP: Custom firmware it, download games, play said games

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

didn't work at all considering you can do the same thing you could with the PSP: Custom firmware it, download games, play said games

it was no where as easy as the PSP, and IIRC requires exploits that are patched in newer firmware. 

Meanwhile the psp 1000 and 2000 just took a slice of a trace in the battery to make it flashable. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

it was no where as easy as the PSP, and IIRC requires exploits that are patched in newer firmware. 

Meanwhile the psp 1000 and 2000 just took a slice of a trace in the battery to make it flashable. 

i'd said it was easier than the psp since all you need to do is go to a website and let it do it's thing, meanwhile on the psp, before  chickHEN, you either needed an already modded psp to prepare you the battery and memory stick with despertar del cementerio.

25 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

i'd said it was easier than the psp since all you need to do is go to a website and let it do it's thing, meanwhile on the psp, before  chickHEN, you either needed an already modded psp to prepare you the battery and memory stick with despertar del cementerio.

that is not true at all, there were other options. IIRC Chick-hen was a reponse to the 3000 not accepting a pandora's battery and for a while needed specific games to use the exploit, which btw is when I lost interest in PSP homebrew for the most part, and all you had to do was use a pandora's battery. They were cheap as fuck online, since the actual battery portion did not matter. They turned the unit on into the recovery mode where it booted from something on the memory stick when inserted and to use one as a normal battery you had to plug it in, turn it on normally, then insert the battery. You could get one online for less than 10$ and you could mod yours and all of your friends units- they were actually purpose made batteries that were Chinese knockoffs. 

The other option was to make your own. All you had to do was open the battery and cut a trace (which was much easier than the pin on the chip everyone said to cut) and you had a battery that allows you to flash your psp. Yah those batteies were expensive, but for some time there was no good solution to the 3000 didn't didn't involve a game save file exploit and wasn't patched later. For the 1000 and 2000, no matter the firmware version, flashing was easy and guaranteed, no way for sony to patch it. This is what I did.

The difference between the pandora's battery and the later ones is they were exploits and the "pandora's battery" was a built in recovery mode and was basically an official way they flashed it, I assume in warranty repairs as getting fucked up firmware by losing the battery during an update was sorta common. A lota people handed me their psp and didn't want me to add CFW but just wanted me to reflash it to factory. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

that is not true at all. IIRC Chick-hen was a reponse to the 3000 not accepting a pandora's battery, which btw is when I lost interest in PSP homebrew for the most part, and all you had to do was use a pandora's battery. They were cheap as fuck online, since the actual battery portion did not matter. They turned the unit on into the recovery menu when inserted and to use one as a normal battery you had to plug it in, turn it on normally, then insert the battery. You could get one online for less than 10$ and you could mod yours and all of your friends units. 

The other option was to make your own. All you had to do was open the battery and cut a trace (which was much easier than the pin on the chip everyone said to cut) and you had a battery that allows you to flash your psp. Yah those batteies were expensive, but for some time there was no good solution to the 3000 didn't didn't involve a game save file exploit and wasn't patched later. For the 1000 and 2000, no matter the firmware version, flashing was easy and guaranteed, no way for sony to patch it. 

chickHEN worked on every PSP not just the 3000, that's how i modded my fat PSP when i received it back after sending it for repairs because of shitty joystick being unresponsive. 

But you have to buy the pandora battery, how is that easier then just going on a website? Sure for now it only works on v3.60, give the modding community time and they'll find better ways, just like how the PSP went from pandora to despertar to chickHEN to PRO. And hopefully for my sanity someone will find a way to bring custom themes and replaces bubble ui with something sane like XMB

17 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

chickHEN worked on every PSP not just the 3000, that's how i modded my fat PSP when i received it back after sending it for repairs because of shitty joystick being unresponsive. 

But you have to buy the pandora battery, how is that easier then just going on a website? Sure for now it only works on v3.60, give the modding community time and they'll find better ways, just like how the PSP went from pandora to despertar to chickHEN to PRO. And hopefully for my sanity someone will find a way to bring custom themes and replaces bubble ui with something sane like XMB

oh. Last time I followed it (not long after the 3000 launch, few months maybe) you had to have some specific game which was never on ebay as everyone wanted a copy to exploit some save file vulnerability. In fact, for a while you could only boot CFW, and not permanently write it. But that was years ago and I both forget what happened next and didn't follow closely after a while. 

muh specs 

All parts black

29 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

oh. Last time I followed it (not long after the 3000 launch, few months maybe) you had to have some specific game which was never on ebay as everyone wanted a copy to exploit some save file vulnerability. In fact, for a while you could only boot CFW, and not permanently write it. But that was years ago and I both forget what happened next and didn't follow closely after a while. 

and that was for just getting VHBL (basically cfw for the psp emulator in the vita), HENkakku is what allows you to run homebrews straight from the vita and the only requirement is v3.60 and an internet connection

15 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

and that was for just getting VHBL (basically cfw for the psp emulator in the vita), HENkakku is what allows you to run homebrews straight from the vita and the only requirement is v3.60 and an internet connection

god psp homebrew was so fun. Too bad the psp only had like 2 games I played often. 

muh specs 

All parts black

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

god psp homebrew was so fun. Too bad the psp only had like 2 games I played often. 

monster hunter portable G and monster hunter portable 2ndG

xD

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

monster hunter portable G and monster hunter portable 2ndG

xD

I feel like I woulda liked my psp more if I got into MH 

muh specs 

All parts black