Intel's responses to AMD Ryzen with i7 7740K and i5 7640K

NumLock21
1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Everyone is saying this new chip would kill the i7 line and I just don't understand where that reasoning is coming from.  Seems to me, it would just be an i7, in everything but name.

I didn't say it would kill it, I am trying to say that it won't make sense to have two 4 core 8 thread cpus.

The geek himself.

An i5 with hyperthreading makes the existence of 4/8 i7s pointless.

I really hope that they'll use a 4/8 i5s for their next microarchitecture.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Everyone is saying this new chip would kill the i7 line and I just don't understand where that reasoning is coming from.  Seems to me, it would just be an i7, in everything but name.

That's exactly why it would kill the consumer i7 lineup. It would be exactly an i7, minus 2mb of cache. Not only that, but now it adds a layer of confusion, because future consumers will wonder which i5's have HT, and which do not. If the nomenclature doesn't change, and it still is a K suffix i5, then the influx of "Does this i5 have HT?" questions will be huge. 

It would be one thing, if they stuck with "i5 xx40k = HT", meaning the 40k part is HT, but knowing Intel, they will not stick to that. They love to make things very convoluted for no reason. 

In my opinion, there isn't a large enough gap price wise to fit a hyperthreaded i5 in between normal i5's and i7's. If it's only slightly more expensive than an i5, nobody will buy a normal i5, or an i7 for that matter. If it's only slightly less expensive than an i7, people wanting an i5 will just get the cheaper i5's, and people that were going to pay more for an i7, would buy the cheaper i5HT. It just doesn't make much sense for Intel to go this route. Not yet anyways. Not until we actually see Ryzen's real performance and prices. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

That's exactly why it would kill the consumer i7 lineup. It would be exactly an i7, minus 2mb of cache. Not only that, but now it adds a layer of confusion, because future consumers will wonder which i5's have HT, and which do not. If the nomenclature doesn't change, and it still is a K suffix i5, then the influx of "Does this i5 have HT?" questions will be huge. 

It would be one thing, if they stuck with "i5 xx40k = HT", meaning the 40k part is HT, but knowing Intel, they will not stick to that. They love to make things very convoluted for no reason. 

In my opinion, there isn't a large enough gap price wise to fit a hyperthreaded i5 in between normal i5's and i7's. If it's only slightly more expensive than an i5, nobody will buy a normal i5, or an i7 for that matter. If it's only slightly less expensive than an i7, people wanting an i5 will just get the cheaper i5's, and people that were going to pay more for an i7, would buy the cheaper i5HT. It just doesn't make much sense for Intel to go this route. Not yet anyways. Not until we actually see Ryzen's real performance and prices. 

I totally agree that the naming would be a disaster, and expressed that on page 2 :P But I still don't get how it would kill the i7 lineup unless they release this at typical i5 prices, which there would be no reason to.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I totally agree that the naming would be a disaster, and expressed that on page 2 :P But I still don't get how it would kill the i7 lineup unless they release this at typical i5 prices, which there would be no reason to.

The reason would be: it has to be cheaper than an i7, and that window is only about $100 in size. The way I see it, if they price the current i5's at $240, the current i7's at $340, the half-way point is $290. That undercuts the cost of even the cheapest i7 (6700, $300) and will likely outperform it since it can OC. Price it ANY higher, and you would just get an i7 anyways. Price it too low, and you will never touch an i7. Who would pay that much more money for just 2mb of cache? 

I just don't see this product working out in their current lineup. I could very well be wrong, but without seeing how well Ryzen can do, and what it is priced at, we won't be able to guess what these "rumored" Intel SKU's will be priced at. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

The reason would be: it has to be cheaper than an i7, and that window is only about $100 in size. The way I see it, if they price the current i5's at $240, the current i7's at $340, the half-way point is $290. That undercuts the cost of even the cheapest i7 (6700, $300) and will likely outperform it since it can OC. Price it ANY higher, and you would just get an i7 anyways. Price it too low, and you will never touch an i7. Who would pay that much more money for just 2mb of cache? 

I just don't see this product working out in their current lineup. I could very well be wrong, but without seeing how well Ryzen can do, and what it is priced at, we won't be able to guess what these "rumored" Intel SKU's will be priced at. 

Ah, that's the difference then.  It seems everyone else has assumed this will come out at a price that will make i7s pointless, while I just assumed they would price this somewhere it makes sense in the lineup - that being similar to existing i7s.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'm expecting it to be priced about the same as a 6700/7700 (non-k). I don't really see the purpose of this to be something that necessarily "makes sense", but rather so that Intel can say they released an i7 for less so as to not be shown up by Ryzen. Plus, it might get the sales of those who were waiting for Ryzen to cause Intel to drop prices.  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

25 minutes ago, stconquest said:

No more non-K skus from i3-i7 and leave it to mobo makers to decide what boards can do what?

I don't know why this wasn't a thing in the first place. I understand that there has to be some type of certification process to have a K-version of the CPU but is it really that bad to just not have all unlocked CPUs and then just let the motherboard manufacturers decide which boards can overclock?

I don't see Intel doing something like that seeing as how they wanted ASRock and whoever else it was release a bios update for their B-version motherboards to not be able to overclock those Xeons - if anyone remembers that. I think that's what it was anyways.

6 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I don't know why this wasn't a thing in the first place.

200.gif#4

200.gif#0200.gif#2

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

49 minutes ago, MageTank said:

i5HT

Won't lie, I read that as "I Shit," which sums up a quadcore, hyperthreaded i5 in the middle of Kaby Lake's life cycle.

Although, Apple would probably equip Macs with it, charge $3000, and market it with "i5HT." How I read it still sums up the product fairly well, too.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Man, I like money too but good grief

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I don't know why this wasn't a thing in the first place. I understand that there has to be some type of certification process to have a K-version of the CPU but is it really that bad to just not have all unlocked CPUs and then just let the motherboard manufacturers decide which boards can overclock?

I don't see Intel doing something like that seeing as how they wanted ASRock and whoever else it was release a bios update for their B-version motherboards to not be able to overclock those Xeons - if anyone remembers that. I think that's what it was anyways.

Bad habits die hard.  Intel has been milking the "special feature" of overclocking certain chips and making a few bucks on it along the way.

I really doubt there would be any harm in allowing OC'ing on all their mainstream CPUS.  If they wanted to they could allow only K-Series to come with a warranty for that type of procedure, whereas non-K chips would be:  OC at your own risk.  IDK, that seems dumb.

The only reason I mentioned all non-K chips being phased out was that:

1.  I want to see that happen.

2.  A way to combat a possible AMD threat.  Offer more at little cost to them.

I've been hearing rumors about a 6 core mainstream i7 since coffee lake was 'announced', so an HT i5 wouldn't be too far out there.  They should really just market it as 8th gen OR call it the i9.  Seriously intel, it markets itself. :P  

AMD aside, it seems like more cores is the next logical step to make the next few CPU generations more viable.  

17 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

They're pulling info from thin air if it's going to be LGA2066. They have been caught to make things up, like when some dude it a fake ITX board on Ryzen way before it was even announced. They ran a full essay article on it, using information for a board that didn't even exist.

OC3d picked up the same source as WCCF at BenchLife.info so I'm still taking this with a large grain of salt, but they are also calling this a part of the Kaby Lake X SKU on the LGA 2066 socket...  This would make some sort of weird sense if they are trying to entice more people to move onto the X299 platform and then sell them on Skylake X or other LGA 2066 larger than 4 core processors in the future.  Depending on the pricing, an i5 LGA 2066 may be an excellent way to get people into this chipset.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_s_i5_7640k_and_7740k_are_rumoured_to_be_part_of_their_kaby_lake-x_lineup/1

9 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

OC3d picked up the same source as WCCF at BenchLife.info so I'm still taking this with a large grain of salt, but they are also calling this a part of the Kaby Lake X SKU on the LGA 2066 socket...  This would make some sort of weird sense if they are trying to entice more people to move onto the X299 platform and then sell them on Skylake X or other LGA 2066 larger than 4 core processors in the future.  Depending on the pricing, an i5 LGA 2066 may be an excellent way to get people into this chipset.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_s_i5_7640k_and_7740k_are_rumoured_to_be_part_of_their_kaby_lake-x_lineup/1

There was another report a while back saying Kaby Lake X is only to have one CPU with just 4 cores and 16 PCIe lanes. The other 3 will be part of Skylake X. A Core i5 on a enthusiast platform? IMO not happening even if that i5 has Hyper Thread. Looking back when Intel first separated mainstream and enthusiast, with socket 1156 for mainstream and socket 1366 for enthusiast. There was no Core i5 for socket 1366.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

This is more embarrassing than McDonald's new Big Mac. 

7 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

This is more embarrassing than McDonald's new Big Mac. 

The Grand Mac taste awesome. $5 bucks for whole combo!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

30 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

The Grand Mac taste awesome. $5 bucks for whole combo!

The food is definitely unhealthy but goddamn I can get so much of it on the cheap 

An i5 has the core of an i7, its just a lousy i7 thats been cutoff and badged i5.

Intel's orderly product line-up has collapsed it seems. I was expecting aggressive price drops, not this mess...

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

22 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

Intel's orderly product line-up has collapsed it seems. I was expecting aggressive price drops, not this mess...

If Zen really is so good that they need to adjust to compete, that would have made more sense imo than releasing this very minor improvement.

These are part of the new X299 line up due out later this year.  It was already mentioned that there was going to be a few 4 core X299 parts that had people confused.  These parts more than likely were already in the line up and are not a reaction to Ryzen.

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-7740k-core-i5-7640k-amd-ryzen/

Intel Kaby Lake-X Core i7-7740K and Core i5-7640K Specs:

CPU Name Intel Core i5-7600K Intel Core i5-7640K Intel Core i7-7700K Intel Core i7-7740K
CPU Process 14nm+ 14nm+ 14nm+ 14nm+
Cores/Threads 4/4 4/4 4/8 4/8
Base Clock 3.8 GHz 4.0 GHz 4.2 GHz 4.3 GHz
Boost Clock 4.2 GHz 4.0 GHz 4.5 GHz TBD
L3 Cache 6 MB L3 6 MB L3 8 MB L3 8 MB L3
Memory Support DDR4 Dual Channel DDR4 Quad Channel DDR4 Dual Channel DDR4 Quad Channel
Socket Type LGA 1151 LGA 2066 LGA 1151 LGA 2066
TDP 91W 112W 91W 112W
Price $242 US TBD $339 US TBD
Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

9 minutes ago, Ensho said:

Intel is bringing i5 chips to the enthusiast line with their new 7640k and 7740k CPUs.  Click the link in the description to learn more.

:P

OK but seriously, why are they bringing mainstream chips to the enthusiast platform, the should be doing the opposite and bringing 6 cores to Z270!

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Intel is bringing i5 chips to the enthusiast line with their new 7640k and 7740k CPUs.  Click the link in the description to learn more.

:P

OK but seriously, why are they bringing mainstream chips to the enthusiast platform, the should be doing the opposite and bringing 6 cores to Z270!

Yeah, it is really weird.  From what I saw from Cannon Lake slides released if I have it right, they are going to have 6 core mainstream parts in late 2018.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H