Apple touchbar, keyboard and temperature problems

Dackzy

So, it is well known that this new gen of MacBook "Pros" are getting of to a rough start.

I found this video yesterday, the touchbar just stop working, the same for the keyboard on the log in screen and the touch bar pops up on the screen.

I have time stamped the videos

The temps went up to 103c when using adobe premiere to export a 30 min 4k benchmark

I don't know if the temps were a wrong reading, but holy shit 103c.

IMO, they made this gen worse than a Acer laptop, and that is hard. It is so buggy, it is not even funny and it gets super hot.. You expect a 1700$ (or more) laptop to just work and not have any big problems, especially when it has that Apple logo on it, but this is not the case. Many none techy people always say that Apple products "just work", but this is not the case anymore.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Lol, clearly more Apple haters trying to throw more shit at apple, amazing how a corporation gets all this hate just for trying to be courageous and delivering great product. These people are just as bad as those complaining about the 3 hour battery life and bootcamp blowing the speakers.

/s

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

my early 2013 macbook pro retina goes to 105c on windows (checked on msi afterburner) it throttles like crazy, but at least the GPU stays below 90c. So 103c on the 2016 model isn't that surprising really especially considering it is thinner

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

On 12/6/2016 at 3:05 AM, suicidalfranco said:

Lol, clearly more Apple haters trying to throw more shit at apple, amazing how a corporation gets all this hate just for trying to be courageous and delivering great product. These people are just as bad as those complaining about the 3 hour battery life and bootcamp blowing the speakers.

Dude if you don't know that guy, then I can tell you that he loves Apple, his main PC was a mac pro for a while and he has a hackintosh now.

Nothing about this product makes it great.

On 12/6/2016 at 3:20 AM, rattacko123 said:

my early 2013 macbook pro retina goes to 105c on windows (checked on msi afterburner) it throttles like crazy, but at least the GPU stays below 90c. So 103c on the 2016 model isn't that surprising really especially considering it is thinner

true, it is just very important that people know that macbooks are cooled very badly

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, rattacko123 said:

you should use lubbosfancontrol when using windows on a mac, Apple fan curve is just bad in general and always has been. Fuck i even use my own fan curve on OSX with fan control cause frankly i have the feeling that Apple lives in a universe where temps don't matter and the laws of thermodynamics in electronics don't apply to them 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

12 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

you should use lubbosfancontrol when using windows on a mac, Apple fan curve is just bad in general and always has been. Fuck i even use my own fan curve on OSX with fan control cause frankly i have the feeling that Apple lives in a universe where temps don't matter and the laws of thermodynamics in electronics don't apply to them 

still goes over 100C with the fan control

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

5 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

still goes over 100C with the fan control

weird, i manage to keep it at 80C while playing with fans at 6000rpm and and 50C when doing basic stuff with fans at 4000rpm.

Meanwhile on OSX i keep it at 30-40C by just leaving the fans at 3500-4000rpm 

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

weird, i manage to keep it at 80C while playing with fans at 6000rpm and and 50C when doing basic stuff with fans at 4000rpm.

Meanwhile on OSX i keep it at 30-40C by just leaving the fans at 3500-4000rpm 

I suppose windows is just much more demanding in this case, because changing the fan speed doesn't change the temperature much at all but it does reduce throttling a little

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

Ouch that's hot, my fingertips would get burnt within seconds.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

26 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

I suppose windows is just much more demanding in this case, because changing the fan speed doesn't change the temperature much at all but it does reduce throttling a little

Actually the drivers for the Mac under Windows are very bad. When running under Windows, Macs are forced to use the dedicated graphics if they have it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

While I know that this generation is kinda of a let down, do we need to post literally every issue for that line? It's getting boring already...

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

22 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

It's getting boring already...

Actually I'm just getting started here :D.

All aboard the Apple Hate Train.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

17 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually I'm just getting started here :D.

All aboard the Apple Hate Train.

Well if you are like me then you don't hate Apple, you just think this gen is pure shit and not even close to being worth the high price tag

11 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

While I know that this generation is kinda of a let down, do we need to post literally every issue for that line? It's getting boring already...

Agree. People who never like apple who are the apple haters have one common thing. They have absolutely no interest in OS X. And because they never get used to it/never liked it, so that they think mac OS is just a piece of crap. And if you take out software from the equation, then apple is trash. Literally. Every year pc people have been saying the same thing over and over again. 

• Apple is overpriced.
  • Their hardware is junk.
  • They prefer form over function. 
  • etc

A real mac user will brush all that off. At this forum sure, pc users are more than mac users. If you go to other forum, you will find that people's opinion might be different. After this year's macbook pro launch, I have seen a large number of people said that they still need/want a macbook pro. And windows is just not an option. Yup. I have seen it on medium, on other forum as well. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

26 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Agree. People who never like apple who are the apple haters have one common thing. They have absolutely no interest in OS X. And because they never get used to it/never liked it, so that they think mac OS is just a piece of crap. And if you take out software from the equation, then apple is trash. Literally. Every year pc people have been saying the same thing over and over again. 

• Apple is overpriced.
  • etc

A real mac user will brush all that off. At this forum sure, pc users are more than mac users. If you go to other forum, you will find that people's opinion might be different. After this year's macbook pro launch, I have seen a large number of people said that they still need/want a macbook pro. And windows is just not an option. Yup. I have seen it on medium, on other forum as well. 

I'm ok with macOS but the software support isn't as good as i'd like.

Also, their hardware is overpriced junk and Apple prefers form over function. 

It is worth noting that Tjunction for a 6700HQ is 100C. They are running the CPU past Intel's maximum temperature rating.

18 hours ago, Dackzy said:

So, it is well known that this new gen of MacBook "Pros" are getting of to a rough start.

I found this video yesterday, the touchbar just stop working, the same for the keyboard on the log in screen and the touch bar pops up on the screen.

I have time stamped the videos

The temps went up to 103c when using adobe premiere to export a 30 min 4k benchmark

I don't know if the temps were a wrong reading, but holy shit 103c.

IMO, they made this gen worse than a Acer laptop, and that is hard. It is so buggy, it is not even funny and it gets super hot.. You expect a 1700$ (or more) laptop to just work and not have any big problems, especially when it has that Apple logo on it, but this is not the case. Many none techy people always say that Apple products "just work", but this is not the case anymore.

apple discord has confirmed so many bugs on ios 10 :/ 

also you need an adapter to plug in an iphone to a macbook. it 'just' works.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Apple has made so much progress in the last 3 years... the 'temperature' reading is 103 here compared to only 90 for my MacBook Pro late 2013 model.. that must mean it's better, because it's higher, right? Right..? 

/s Apple sheeple should actually try something called logic sometime. It's quite useful c:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

• Apple is overpriced.
  • etc

I use OSX every day at school. I find that it has issue and I can't stand the BS of fanboys

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

I use OSX every day at school. I find that it has issue and I can't stand the BS of fanboys

Okay then....

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

These Apple complaints are honestly retarded. Sure they may have issues tht are annoying, but that'll eventually be ironed out by software updates. But bitching about every little thing is what makes this by people who haven't even used is what makes this retarded

Did they take bold steps, yes and only Apple can do it because frankly, they don't give a shit about sales. If you don't want it don't buy as simple as that but it never gets into the poisonous Apple hate group on this forum. You guys should probably make a club because it's what cool kids do these days

Every product that had something different have always had issues, but no one seemed to mind. But when it's Apple its like haters get multiple orgasms. 

I know I'm being a bit rude, but that's just fact of the mental capability of haters who are unable to accept that they aren't the only people in the world

Considering the exhaust vents are just above the touchbar, I bet the heat will also massively shorten the touchbar lifespan or even cause it to fail prematurely.. Welp looks like my current RMBP should have higher and longer resale value if these issues keep happening with the new RMBP. 

I normally side with apple, but this time...

Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

This is what happens when Apple goes too far prioritizing form over function. "Thin" is nice, but it gets to a point where function is sacrificed for form, which is not something that should ever happen on a productivity tool, as Apple had marketed the MacBook Pro as.

41 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

@RedRound2 products can have bugs, the problem is when bugs cause harm to your product or people can't count on it to work.

Boot camp drivers blowing out speakers is not an acceptable bug,

Who even has this problem? Some random guy and it's an issue blown put of proportion. Even if it's an issue it can easily be solved with a software update. Afterall it's understandable how boot camp wasn't their no 1 priority

letting CPU temp get higher then Tjunction is not an acceptable bug,

Maybe not, but those are the peak temperatures and is only achievable by pushing it to absolute limits. And besides no else seems to complain about this issue, so it's nonsense as of now

touch bar not working or appearing on the main display is not acceptable,

This happens all the time. Whenever something new and different comes up it will have bugs. Apple is not perfect and so is no company. It's ridiculous if you expect them to be. You can expect products to be mostly bug free after 2-3 iterations but this is first gen and they're probably still learning their mistakes. And again, this is an issue that can easily be solved by a software update

the need to use Apple adapters because 3rd party don't work,

Apple adapters? Wtf, you can use any adaptors. And FYI, Type C is a universal standard and I completely favor this movement. Sure it's annoying at first, but it's only a matter of investing on a temporary hub that has everything like the recent Kickstarter. If you can't deal with it don't buy but because of solely Apple, we can have our future in like 2-3 years instead of decades. But nope, people are too short sighted to see that

Wi-Fi dropping when using one USB-C.

Another bullshit issue that no one has. Can you seriously come up with something widespread rather this some random idiot on the internet saying so. Where are the sensible people

Those can be solved? They should have been solved before releasing the product to customers. 

Yeah, like all the products in the world are perfect. Maybe you might actually think so if you're only source is LTT, but if you do indeed open your eyes, pretty much every product has these weird bugs especially in the start. Dell XPS, razer blade, Surface Pro and book (it took like 4 generations to fix it up though and still they have issues)