AI can predict who will be criminals based on facial features

patrick3027

It'd be better to just document everyone in a country based on their IQ's, and then be capable of determining likelihood of criminality from there.  Generally the majority of crimes are committed by people with an average of 84 or lower.  Majority of serial killers are between 116-124 points and have chemical imbalances resulting in copper deficiency or heightened copper/iron counts.  They could likely get a better prediction based on peoples chemistry and IQ ratios rather than ctOS3.0.

Psyco Pass much? thats litteraly all i can think of here... also if you havent already go watch Psyco Pass, its not for everyone but it has some shit that makes you think

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, mvitkun said:

my thoughts EXACTLY

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

It'd be better to just document everyone in a country based on their IQ's, and then be capable of determining likelihood of criminality from there.  Generally the majority of crimes are committed by people with an average of 84 or lower.  Majority of serial killers are between 116-124 points and have chemical imbalances resulting in copper deficiency or heightened copper/iron counts.  They could likely get a better prediction based on peoples chemistry and IQ ratios rather than ctOS3.0.

that + this AI stuff is basically Psyco Pass... i dont want Psyco Pass to become reality because 1: that shit is scary 2: i would be super screwed basically the second the system would go online lol

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

that + this AI stuff is basically Psyco Pass... i dont want Psyco Pass to become reality because 1: that shit is scary 2: i would be super screwed basically the second the system would go online lol

Oh, in the wrong hands this kind of system would probably nuke me off the map for my political, economic, and social beliefs.

1 minute ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Oh, in the wrong hands this kind of system would probably nuke me off the map for my political, economic, and social beliefs.

yah this is quite litteraly no proper freedom anymore, you cant think what you want, you cant say what you want, you cant rise against an opressive state by civil disobedience seeing as you would get plucked of by the system before you can act....

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

yah this is quite litteraly no proper freedom anymore, you cant think what you want, you cant say what you want, you cant rise against an opressive state by civil disobedience seeing as you would get plucked of by the system before you can act....

Though if you work for the system, it'd be a fun day.  

inb4 Captain America The Winter Soldier senario.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, SurvivorNVL said:

Though if you work for the system, it'd be a fun day.  

the one who controlls the system has imense control, they can do whatever they want, add exeptions for certain people ect... this is a system that should NEVER be made, its fun to speculate but this is something that NEVER should exist

Builds:

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

unless it actually turns out to be reliable, in which case, that would be very interesting and would have implications that warrant further investigation :S 

It would not be possible to determine if it is reliable without determining if each individual on the planet is a criminal or not. And if you can do that, you no longer need the algorithm.

17 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

IQ tests are inaccurate and useless. Even if a majority of people who commit crimes fell into certain IQ categories it does not make the opposite true.

lol screw Skynet, theses people are on their way to creating the Sibyl System. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

There is correlation between these, sure, but that doesn't mean that suddenly every person with those facial characteristics is a (potential) criminal. In fact assuming so would fill our jails with innocents.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Hey, this is a bit too soon for Psycho Pass to be real 

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

Minority report gone wrong

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, DrMikeNZ said:

It would not be possible to determine if it is reliable without determining if each individual on the planet is a criminal or not. And if you can do that, you no longer need the algorithm.

Well, that would be needed to verify if it was 100% reliable, but I suspect that who ever is planning on using this is comfortable with a lower threshold, and so if they can, for example, get 98% reliability on a sample size of 10,000 or something, that would probably be fine.

Is that OK?  Absolutely not, I think it would be insane.  I just think there's probably some government out there crazy enough to do it though...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Okay, until we see the implementation, we cannot say there is a bias built in by the programmer. We have generalized pattern seeking and pattern matching formulae. If you train an algorithm based on a non-biased, large sample of criminals with an even distribution on race, then the AI will be objective, because the algorithm is objective.

TLDR: the article trying to discredit this doesn't actually discredit the technique. It just makes a shallow attempt to disparage it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Sure a computer may not have emotions of be able to have bias but programmers can/do have those things.

So I mean the program could be made to take certain features commonly found in a specific race and say that they are criminals.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Sure a computer may not have emotions of be able to have bias but programmers can/do have those things.

So I mean the program could be made to take certain features commonly found in a specific race and say that they are criminals.

I doubt that's the implementation. It's easier to write a naive, generalized pattern former and matcher than it is to inject preconceived notions.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

21 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, that would be needed to verify if it was 100% reliable, but I suspect that who ever is planning on using this is comfortable with a lower threshold, and so if they can, for example, get 98% reliability on a sample size of 10,000 or something, that would probably be fine.

Is that OK?  Absolutely not, I think it would be insane.  I just think there's probably some government out there crazy enough to do it though...

2% false positive rate would result in millions of people being persecuted.

While individuals can be compiled together to obtain statistical information on a group, statistics cannot be used to assess or predict individuals. Such a system could never be used to determine criminality.

Definitely insane. Nearly as insane as drawing a correlation between childhood consumption of confectionery and convictions of violent crimes as an adult.

16 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

While individuals can be compiled together to obtain statistical information on a group, statistics cannot be used to assess or predict individuals. Such a system could never be used to determine criminality.

Definitely insane. Nearly as insane as drawing a correlation between childhood consumption of confectionery and convictions of violent crimes as an adult.

I just pulled those numbers out of the air so don't worry too much about that :P

All I'm saying is, if they can get it close to 100%, which (if there is a correlation to be found) is possible (in theory), then it wouldn't take a sample the size of the world to do it, and some government might just implement this as a tool.  Scary notion, imo...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

19 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

I don't think it would lead to persecution so much as it would just make surveillance more sensitive and targeted. Obviously, no one should be harassed or accused until they actually commit a crime,  but you can't have good proactivity in law enforcement without some guidelines.

2 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Tbh most under IQ 90 shouldn't be allowed procreate....but anyyyyywayyyyyyy, its hard to say someone iq of 116-124 is a killer cause they could just be smart.