I'm trying to sound proof a room.

IvanSnipedYu

I have an extra room laying around my house and I'm trying to sound proof it. The problem with the room is that the walls are really thin and its really close to the street. I don't want my audio leaking out.  Unfortunately, I don't have the budget to rebuild the room and add insulation into the walls. I was wondering what some good options are? I was thinking about using acoustic or sound blankets, then adding foam pads on top. I do plan on using this room to record audio and play audio.

TLDR; trying to prevent audio from getting in and out of a room at a low budget.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

Dependson the audio. Bass? Good luck containing that. Everything else isn't too bad. Unfortunately industrial soundproofing is expensive. 

Installing a solid-core door is one of the more effective ways to sound-insulate a room. However, it won't do much to isolate the room from the outdoors, on the other side of a wall.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Adding foam and blankets will just reduce echo. It is NOT soundproofing.

This is soundproofing:

Image result for soundproofing

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Dependson the audio. Bass? Good luck containing that. Everything else isn't too bad. Unfortunately industrial soundproofing is expensive. 

There is probably going to be a bit of bass. I don't mind if audio leaks, I just don't want it to be like they are right next to the audio source. Which is how the room is currently.

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

Installing a solid-core door is one of the more effective ways to sound-insulate a room. However, it won't do much to isolate the room from the outdoors, on the other side of a wall.

The door is within the house, I'm trying to prevent audio from leaking out the house. Let me draw a picture of this to help explain :D
YwKDwcK.jpg

Unfortunately I'm not home right now, so this is the best image I can provide.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Adding foam and blankets will just reduce echo. It is NOT soundproofing.

This is soundproofing:

Image result for soundproofing

Yeah, thats my issue :/ I can't break down the walls to install any insulation. That's why I was wondering is there is any other option thats less expensive and less work.

2 minutes ago, IvanSnipedYu said:

Yeah, thats my issue :/ I can't break down the walls to install any insulation. That's why I was wondering is there is any other option thats less expensive and less work.

Yeah, headphones, or moving to a new house, or ghetto-sticking the sound insulation to the front of your walls instead of inside xD 

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Yeah, headphones, or moving to a new house, or ghetto-sticking the sound insulation to the front of your walls instead of inside xD 

I was going to suggest headphones but I figured the OP wanted to play non digital music and record it.

For anything digital? Headphones. Specifically nice wireless headphones. 

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah :/ If I can't even sound proof my walls, what makes you think I can move to a new house xD

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

I was going to suggest headphones but I figured the OP wanted to play non digital music and record it.

For anything digital? Headphones. Specifically nice wireless headphones. 

Yeah, I wanted to play non digital music and record it. :/ but chances of it happening looks slim now. I've been using studios at school, but wanted a home setup.

Just now, IvanSnipedYu said:

Yeah :/ If I can't even sound proof my walls, what makes you think I can move to a new house xD

Well, if you were renting a place that doesn't let you modify the walls you could move and rent a place that does let you, or buy a place.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Well, if you were renting a place that doesn't let you modify the walls you could move and rent a place that does let you, or buy a place.

contract :/ 

I'd talk to your neighbors and figure out when they're not around. Then play and record whatever you need.

Like others said, there are no cheap ways to sound-proof a room really.

As @Enderman pointed out, the best way is to open the walls up and install sound proofing insulation.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

Like others said, there are no cheap ways to sound-proof a room really.

As @Enderman pointed out, the best way is to open the walls up and install sound proofing insulation.

:/ Guess the room will stay unused then xD  Thanks everyone for all the advice.

9 minutes ago, IvanSnipedYu said:

:/ Guess the room will stay unused then xD  Thanks everyone for all the advice.

NP .. also, even if you were to find a cheap way to sound-proof that room, after that the sound would mainly leak from the window you have on that wall (even closed) rendering the whole process useless. And getting a sound-proofed window would again send you back to your initial budget problem!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

OP, you can build your own acoustic panels for pretty cheap, and place them around your audio sources. Here's a guide telling of one way to do it: http://acousticsfreq.com/how-to-build-your-own-acoustic-panels/

I've made some portable versions, using rockwool insulation panels, particle board, door hinges, wood glue, fabric for teh looks, staples, and some hammer-in plastic feet, to help them stand upright, and not scratch whatever surface they're put upon.

acoustic panels 1.jpgacoustic panels 2.jpgacoustic panels 3.jpgacoustic panels 4.jpg

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

24 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

OP, you can build your own acoustic panels for pretty cheap, and place them around your audio sources. Here's a guide telling of one way to do it: http://acousticsfreq.com/how-to-build-your-own-acoustic-panels/

I've made some portable versions, using rockwool insulation panels, particle board, door hinges, wood glue, fabric for teh looks, staples, and some hammer-in plastic feet, to help them stand upright, and not scratch whatever surface they're put upon.

acoustic panels 1.jpgacoustic panels 2.jpgacoustic panels 3.jpgacoustic panels 4.jpg

Do they work well?

They work great for isolating environment noises from my microphones, and their isolation effect is very audible when surrounded by them. I don't know how much they do to prevent sound from reaching outdoors, though, because I'm never outdoors while audio is playing from within a shield of them.

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

They work great for isolating environment noises from my microphones, and their isolation effect is very audible when surrounded by them. I don't know how much they do to prevent sound from reaching outdoors, though, because I'm never outdoors while audio is playing from within a shield of them.

Do you think it would have a similar effect to having roksul in the walls if I just made a whole bunch of these but bigger covering all the walls with it?

years ago few musician friends used cheap eggshell memory foam in their apartments/duplexes as temp

usually just covered them with sheets

and Honestly I dont really how well it worked, but they were never complained about etc

2 minutes ago, IvanSnipedYu said:

Do you think it would have a similar effect to having roksul in the walls if I just made a whole bunch of these but bigger covering all the walls with it?

If you cover the walls enough, it might be similar. But I haven't used Roxul, so I dunno.

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

If you cover the walls enough, it might be similar. But I haven't used Roxul, so I dunno.

roxul is just rockwool isnt it? Also, will leaving small gaps make a huge difference in how much noise I contain inside the room?

Roxul is owned by Rockwool International. I don't know what the difference, if any, is between the brands.

4 hours ago, IvanSnipedYu said:

Also, will leaving small gaps make a huge difference in how much noise I contain inside the room?

Probably.

Another option is hang heavy curtains on the walls. Like heavy theater curtains.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

If you have another room that could be moved, you could just change the utility of the two rooms...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)