People who buy Android found to be more humble and honest than iPhone users

3vitor

Yeah, the study's methodology is flawed... way too small a sample to be representative.  As it is, some of the responses in the thread seem to speak more about Android users' impressions of iOS users than the iOS users themselves.

The truth is that both sides have their annoying advocates.  There are certainly people who are convinced that everything Apple does is great.  However, it's just as irksome when you run into hardcore Android advocates who are convinced they're "liberating" iOS users from the shackles of oppression, or pretend that using Android is counterculture when it's really the most conformist thing you can do.  It's a phone, folks, not a lifestyle choice.

1 sample size 

2 the daily mail 

3 bullshit

45 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

YEAHHHH NOW I CAN USE THIS TO TOTALLY RECK MY FRIENDS WHO USE IOS :D. Good bye, I'm off to totally recking them xD 

On a serious note: Thie actually kinda makes sense in my mind. A huge majority of the iOS user base is consisted of people who are pretty rich and that have never bought android. Quite often these are the people that don't want to admit they have something worse than others. On the other hand android users tend to have made a choice between iOS and android and thus some of them may respect the choice iOS users made.

I can't explain it that well, but what I'm trying to say is each OS seems to cater to a different type of personality and this study is a perfect example of that.

lol i aint rich, i have brought an android phone.....4 to be precise, i to made a choice, and chose apple.......your right you cant explain it and as my mother would say....if you cant say anything intelligent....shut the ...... up

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

4 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Yeah, the study's methodology is flawed... way too small a sample to be representative.

While there are methodological issue, the sample size isn't necessarily small (and it would take several checks to ensure it's representative -but representative of what?- even if it was 10 times larger or 10 times smaller). For univariate estimation, N=infinity is a reasonable good approximation from N=30 onwards. At N=100 you are more than safe. For a comparison of means, 240 is plenty. The real problem is selection, and adding controls pushes the relevant N further and further.

Hard to make concrete conclusions with such a small sample size. However, it is a starting off point for future research, but I doubt anyone else would care enough to conduct a larger study.

Modified Raijintek Metis Mini-ITX Case Build:

Gigabyte Z170N-Wifi Motherboard  |  Intel i5-6600K 3.5 GHz CPU  |  16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM  |  EVGA GTX 950 |  Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD  | Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W  |  Noctua NH-D9L CPU Cooler  |  (3) Noctua NF-F12 Case Fans

11 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Yeah, the study's methodology is flawed... way too small a sample to be representative.  As it is, some of the responses in the thread seem to speak more about Android users' impressions of iOS users than the iOS users themselves.

The truth is that both sides have their annoying advocates.  There are certainly people who are convinced that everything Apple does is great.  However, it's just as irksome when you run into hardcore Android advocates who are convinced they're "liberating" iOS users from the shackles of oppression, or pretend that using Android is counterculture when it's really the most conformist thing you can do.  It's a phone, folks, not a lifestyle choice.

Yeah, this is the most ridiculous piece of news (And what a clickbait title!) that I've seen in a while.

It's right there in the text, folks:

participants were asked to complete a questionnaire about the characteristics they associate with users of each smartphone brand

They didn't use the study to analyze the characteristics of users, the use the study to analyze what people think of users of each OS.

This study is fucking stupid, and the conclusions most people draw in this thread are pretty laughable. This is basically confirmation bias for all the Android users, who are like "DAMN RIGHT I'M HUMBLE!" lol

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

In my opinion these kind of social sciences experiments are silly and divert funds from worthwhile experiments. They make broad assumptions from a small amount of users.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

An android user is more likely to be poor and uneducated....

Considering android phones can be bought for a few $ it just boils down to recycling statistics on poor vs wealthy.

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah, this is the most ridiculous piece of news (And what a clickbait title!) that I've seen in a while.

They didn't use the study to analyze the characteristics of users, the use the study to analyze what people think of users of each OS.

This study is fucking stupid, and the conclusions most people draw in this thread are pretty laughable. This is basically confirmation bias for all the Android users, who are like "DAMN RIGHT I'M HUMBLE!" lol

Well, the second part was a study of Android and iOS users to establish their characteristics but yeah even that one was flawed.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

3 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Well, the second part was a study of Android and iOS users to establish their characteristics but yeah even that one was flawed.

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Is it possible to read the study to see the "science". The daily mail article is pretty light on the details.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Is it possible to read the study to see the "science". The daily mail article is pretty light on the details.

I tried, the closest thing I could find is a press release. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-08/bps-wyc083116.php . 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

If they link the study (or name the Title of it, and where it was published), you can hunt it down, definitely. But most studies are published in peer review journals. These are subscription based (for the most part). If you go to University, you often get free access to these journal databases. Otherwise you gotta generally pay to access them.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

If they link the study (or name the Title of it, and where it was published), you can hunt it down, definitely. But most studies are published in peer review journals. These are subscription based (for the most part). If you go to University, you often get free access to these journal databases. Otherwise you gotta generally pay to access them.

I do have online access to papers from my university, maybe I can dig it up.

Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

I do have online access to papers from my university, maybe I can dig it up.

Please do. 

I haven't seen a "study" this useless in a long time. Really long time.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

11 minutes ago, 3vitor said:

Please do. 

18 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

No luck whatsoever, the only paper published involving Heather Shaw as a creator/author I was able to find was this:

"Beyond Self-Report: Tools to Compare Estimated and Real-World Smartphone Use"

So, it's probably not available to University students yet.

Pascal laptops guide

InB4 this post is a social experiment to see how andriod users and ios users react to artificial data

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

From personal experience, I agree with this. Everyone I know with an android (except a Samsung) is a genuinely nice person, but the apple users I'm familiar with are a mixed bunch.

5 minutes ago, Gr0egercesg said:

From personal experience, I agree with this. Everyone I know with an android (except a Samsung) is a genuinely nice person, but the apple users I'm familiar with are a mixed bunch.

Confirmation bias.

My Build:

Spoiler

Though I hate to say it, and lord do I hate it, this really holds no merit. On a global scale there's a nearly infinite amount of factors that need to be included for this study to be of any statistical value.

I myself like to think that people that choose an iphone are pricks, but that's a huge generalization based on my personal environment and habit.  Sometimes an iPhone is just the best decision, hopefully never for me though.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

So... since I use both Android and iOS just about equally every day... I must be a humble liar.

I must humbly disagree with this article ;)

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

8 minutes ago, Gr0egercesg said:

4 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Confirmation bias.

Agreed.

@Gr0egercesg, I could just as easily say the reverse. Most people I know who have an iPhone are super nice people. I know lots of "arrogant" people who have Android, who think they're self-superior to iOS users because of "Open Source" and "customization", and all of that stuff.

I honestly think there's no relation. I know Android users who are good too, and I know iOS users who aren't nice. I wouldn't say Android users are nicer in any meaningful way.

2 hours ago, 3vitor said:

Of course this is not always true but... Most of the times when I'm talking about phones with an Apple user they always try to impose that Apple devices are always better than Windows/Android.

I've hear some dumb stuff like "Mac has a better processor than any other computer" and the constant "IOS > Android". This already can tell a lot from someone.

To be fair though , this applies to any tech illiterate trying to defend their purchase , whether it is on the pc , apple or console side xD

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

To be fair though , this applies to any tech illiterate trying to defend their purchase , whether it is on the pc , apple or console side xD

Agreed, I've seen plenty of users who think Android is so superior to iOS, and that iPhones suck (And things like making fun of the Apple A-series dual core, despite it being just as fast - if not faster - than a Qualcomm quadcore).

This is not unique to iOS users.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Agreed, I've seen plenty of users who think Android is so superior to iOS, and that iPhones suck (And things like making fun of the Apple A-series dual core, despite it being just as fast - if not faster - than a Qualcomm quadcore).

but ps4 has 500GB ! The best PC graphics card , the titan X only has 12GB ! PC SUX ! CONSOLE 4 LIFE ! SONY MASTERRACE !

/jk

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Yep, we have the bunch that are even welling to go to the extent of name calling other users. We have all seen the "iSheep" calling bunch. Some people take their smartphone choice way too personally.

Pascal laptops guide