People who buy Android found to be more humble and honest than iPhone users

3vitor

Heather Shaw, from University of Lincoln's School of Psychology, and her fellow researchers conducted two studies between iPhone and Android smartphone users.

During the first study 240 participants were asked to complete a questionnaire about the characteristics they associate with users of each smartphone brand.

It found that Android users were perceived to have greater levels of honesty and humility, were kinder, more open and less extroverted than iPhone users.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3768079/What-phone-says-personality-People-buy-Android-humble-honest-iPhone-users.html

I've tested both Apple and Android devices. I hate the Apple UI and functionalities. Android works better for me and I respect people that choose Apple but most of the time this isn't reciprocal.

Of course this is not always true but... Most of the times when I'm talking about phones with an Apple user they always try to impose that Apple devices are always better than Windows/Android.

I've hear some dumb stuff like "Mac has a better processor than any other computer" and the constant "IOS > Android". This already can tell a lot from someone.

I know that there are some Android users that try to impose their choices too but, at least for me, It was way much common finding Apple users doing this.

did the apple users know there is a waterproof app for IOS too??

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

Naturally, iPhone users (Apple product users) will tend to be of a "higher" class, as was Steve Job's goal. To market to the snobbier upper class who will be able to afford it. This study doesn't surprise me. At the same time, I would say not to generalize between users. I am an Apple user, but I tend to avoid dishonesty.

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

this study should've compared Samsung and Apple iPhone owners, sincerely xD

Why? 

YEAHHHH NOW I CAN USE THIS TO TOTALLY RECK MY FRIENDS WHO USE IOS :D. Good bye, I'm off to totally recking them xD 

On a serious note: Thie actually kinda makes sense in my mind. A huge majority of the iOS user base is consisted of people who are pretty rich and that have never bought android. Quite often these are the people that don't want to admit they have something worse than others. On the other hand android users tend to have made a choice between iOS and android and thus some of them may respect the choice iOS users made.

I can't explain it that well, but what I'm trying to say is each OS seems to cater to a different type of personality and this study is a perfect example of that.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, 3vitor said:

Why? 

I don't think you really want me to answer that ;)

Just now, zMeul said:

I don't think you really want me to answer that ;)

K

Hmm, I'm not sure if I want to believe this unless I can look at the research papers. How strong is the correlation? What questions did they ask? Is there any sort of bias involved? People generally want to have the traits of honesty and humbleness, so there is definitely some room for slant. 

21 minutes ago, LukeS said:

Naturally, iPhone users (Apple product users) will tend to be of a "higher" class, as was Steve Job's goal. To market to the snobbier upper class who will be able to afford it. This study doesn't surprise me. At the same time, I would say not to generalize between users. I am an Apple user, but I tend to avoid dishonesty.

I don't know about that. High-end Samsung phones are generally marketed in the same way as iPhones and have similar price points. Do those users display similar tendencies to iPhone users? If so, there must be other factors involved. My first thought is that it's not really anything to do with phones at all, but rather social standing. If that is the case, then this article is clickbait with the intention of sparking controversy between iOS and Android users, which will generate a lot of interest, ergo a lot of views and ad revenue.

In any case, I don't like this.

And, uh, do they have anything in that study about people who use neither Android or iOS? I fall into that category. :P

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

The study was just 240 people taking a questionnaire. 

It never asked whether people owned the phones, knew about the phones, or really they didn't have to even know about the phones at all, it was just that people perceived apple as being less humble. Probabbly because they are more expensive the others, you know people who drive toyotas are more humble then those that drive lamborghinis.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

If they were to do it right find out the phone they have, and how much money they gave to charity in a year.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

It's important to notice that the study wasn't about how users are, but how users are perceived. So, it doesn't say much about how someone owning phone X is, but it does tell you something about how said person will be prejudged by others. On average. Provided the sample is representative of the relative group, etc, etc.

3 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

The study was just 240 people taking a questionnaire. 

It never asked whether people owned the phones, knew about the phones, or really they didn't have to even know about the phones at all, it was just that people perceived apple as being less humble. Probabbly because they are more expensive the others, you know people who drive toyotas are more humble then those that drive lamborghinis.

To be fair, that questionnaire was only the first study to establish the perceptions of different phone users, presumably to determine what to look for.

The second study involved 530 participants who I believe were determined to either be Android or iOS users and asked to complete a survey about their personality traits. It still doesn't tell a whole lot, given the reservations I mentioned in my previous post, but it's a bit more in-depth than you described.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

13 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

YEAHHHH NOW I CAN USE THIS TO TOTALLY RECK MY FRIENDS WHO USE IOS :D. Good bye, I'm off to totally recking them xD 

On a serious note: Thie actually kinda makes sense in my mind. A huge majority of the iOS user base is consisted of people who are pretty rich and that have never bought android. Quite often these are the people that don't want to admit they have something worse than others. On the other hand android users tend to have made a choice between iOS and android and thus some of them may respect the choice iOS users made.

I can't explain it that well, but what I'm trying to say is each OS seems to cater to a different type of personality and this study is a perfect example of that.

Then what do Windows Phones suggest about the people who buy them?

I'd imagine somewhere/something in between both......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Also, I kinda saw this coming from a mile away. People with Android phones tend to treat me more nicely than those with iPhones..............

People with IOS are not humble, can be quite annoying and generally have less humility than Android users.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

That'd be interesting...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Statistics don't get along all that well with such small samples :P 

Hmmmm I have a really strange bug right now where every time the op replies to this topic it shows up in my notifications as a new topic being created...

And I'm not even following the topic!

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thoughts on WP users based on myself :ph34r:

• Willing to try new things (We can thank Microsoft for that xD)
  • Open minded
  • Ambitious
  • Chilled out
  • Relaxed
  • Sometimes lazy :D.
  • Friendly
Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Statistics don't get along all that well with such small samples :P 

But you can kind of guess where it would be..........

Windows Phone was always considered in between IOS and Android mindset. IOS is about complete closed off and easy to use whist android is customizable. WP is somewhat customizable and somewhat easy to use.

So this test only shows that some people chose Iphones as theyr smartphones because of theyr social status and Android users obviously have more choices to pick from, therefore can sometimes come from poorer or less sufficient backgrounds, but doesnt necessarily makes them more humble or honest.

Being more or less humble isnt because of theyr smartphone choice, its due to how they wash theyr hands before eating.

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Windows Phone was always considered in between IOS and Android mindset. IOS is about complete closed off and easy to use whist android is customizable. WP is somewhat customizable and somewhat easy to use.

Jokes aside, one issue with windows phone is that it has mutated over time, compared to iOS and Android. Those two have always competed for the same market, while WP started with a "business/corporate phone" feeling to it, emphasizing Office, etc, a Blackberry alternative mostly. Then MS decided to give desktop OS a mobile feeling, merge things, and get WP to the same market as Android/iOS. I would expect higher variation in people's perceptions due to this.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-08/bps-wyc083116.php

Two studies of very small samples(240 and 530), that measured different things and did not account for all possible related factors. Gotta love how the Daily Mail sensationalizes everything. 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Hmmmm I have a really strange bug right now where every time the op replies to this topic it shows up in my notifications as a new topic being created...

And I'm not even following the topic!

New topic for you!