New Xbox: 4k Capable and VR Ready (Project Scorpio)

codsm4wqpjbm7utxmnc0.jpg

Summary:

Today at E3, Microsoft officially announced Project Scorpio, their next console. The new console, coming next year, boasts much greater hardware, 4k gaming, and VR compatibility with the Oculus Rift.

Unlike the Xbox One S (covered by @kameshss here:)

this console is much more capable and supposedly packs 6 teraflops of power. Microsoft is claiming it will be the most powerful console ever built when it ships. We'll see if it lives up to that when more details of Project Neo surface.

Personally, I doubt it effectively plays high end AAA games at 4k. The VR is probably a bit rubbish as well, but it could be interesting to see what comes of this.

For the right price, this could be better than Playstation VR considering the Rift has better specs. Hopefully the hardware will compensate for that higher resolution.

Regardless, I have high hopes for its success. I'd like to see the market for VR expand and ensure the technology is here to stay. 

Quotes:

"The important thing for Scorpio is that it's a dramatic step up for us in terms of hardware capability," he told The Verge in an interview last week. "Because as we saw 4K gaming and really high-end VR taking off in the PC space, we wanted to be able to bring that to console. Project Scorpio is actually an Xbox One that can natively run games in 4K and is built with the hardware capabilities to support the high-end VR that you see happening in the PC space today... when it ships it will be the most powerful console ever built."

All models of the Xbox One will be able to play the same library of games, and that includes Scorpio, the original Xbox One, and the just-announced Xbox One S. On Scorpio, though, many of those games will feature improvements because of the more powerful hardware. Spencer cites Halo 5 as an example. While the game is capable of running at 1080p and 60 frames per second on the Xbox One, often the resolution drops in order to maintain a solid framerate. On Scorpio that won't be the case. "When a game like that runs on Scorpio," says Spencer, "it's going to run at maximum resolution the whole time."

As for VR, while previous reports claimed Microsoft was working with Oculus on bringing virtual reality to its home console, the company says it currently doesn't have a partner set — or at least one that it's willing to reveal just yet. "We're not ready to announce something right now, but you can imagine at the price point of Scorpio — which we haven't actually said, but think about consoles and where they live in terms of price point — having something at six teraflops that will get millions of people buying it is very attractive to some of the VR companies that are out there already, and we've architected it such that something will be able to plug right in and work," Spencer says.

Source:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/13/11890842/microsoft-xbox-project-scorpio-virtual-reality-e3-2016

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

2 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/13/11890842/microsoft-xbox-project-scorpio-virtual-reality-e3-2016

I doubt it effectively plays games at 4k, the vr is probably a bit rubbish, but it could be interesting to see what comes of this.

unless people manage to put 2 gtx 1080s and i7 6700k performance in that little box then maybe but i doubt it 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Native games in 4K will probably be random simple indie games.

I like how they confirmed that all consoles will be able to play all games in the Xbox "One" family. Depending on how they price it, consoles will seem to continue the trend of offering the best gaming experience for your dollar.

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

unless people manage to put 2 gtx 1080s and i7 6700k performance in that little box then maybe but i doubt it 

I agree. 4k gaming isn't going to happen on this little guy unless its sidescroller games. But vr I can imagine is capable. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Unless it uses Polaris 10 :P , not sure about the CPU situation though but it seems kinda obvious it not going have lower fidelity than PC

Horseshit imo, unless its just housing pc parts in a console box with Xbox OS. 

1 minute ago, christianled59 said:

I agree. 4k gaming isn't going to happen on this little guy unless its sidescroller games. But vr I can imagine is capable. 

maybe at low settings but other than that i doubt it. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

4K games? Not the AAA stuff, unless they've managed to shoehorn a 1080 in there.

Ye ole' train

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

thats a bit extreme, theres no reason to need 2 1080s, and a 6700k. look at Gear VR, even though its not that good, its still VR on some level, powered by just a phone! Im sure a console can handle it.

1 minute ago, cazetofamo said:

thats a bit extreme, theres no reason to need 2 1080s, and a 6700k. look at Gear VR, even though its not that good, its still VR on some level, powered by just a phone! Im sure a console can handle it.

no but 4k gaming well to think of it consoles do run on lower settings so perhaps a single 1080 

2 minutes ago, cazetofamo said:

Todd Howard is implying Fallout 4 will work on VR on xbox scorpio, that is a totally different ballgame over VR Gear

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I believe he was commenting on 4k gaming.

Vr is relatively easy to run. But good looking vr is pretty hard. Still not as hard as 4k. I can play Vanishing of Ethan Carter on my Vive with little effort on a 970. I'm sure with some software tweaks, you could prob even get that to run on the new xbox.

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

no but 4k gaming well to think of it consoles do run on lower settings so perhaps a single 1080 

even that may not be necessary, look at polaris! RX 480 can handle it apparently, at least on some level. im sure Microsofts claims for their refresh arennt completely unsubstantiated, even if they do need a few asterisks 

even that may not be necessary, look at polaris! RX 480 can handle it apparently, at least on some level. im sure Microsofts claims for their refresh arennt completely unsubstantiated, even if they do need a few asterisks 

isnt the rx 480 just a VR ready card? maybe 4k on medium settings with 40fps? 

4 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

I guarentee it wont have a 1080 in it. NO way. They aren't going to sell a $900 console. It'll have a polaris card in it and sell for like $600. Might sell at a loss for $500 and bundle a rift with it for $1k. 

1 minute ago, christianled59 said:

I guarentee it wont have a 1080 in it. NO way. They aren't going to sell a $900 console. It'll have a polaris card in it and sell for like $600. Might sell at a loss for $500 and bundle a rift with it for $1k. 

true but i was comparing the performance that the new console needs to achieve. gtx 1080 was a bit overshooting it but something realistic would be the rx 480. 

laughing, still laughing, keep laughing

LBM55wY.gif

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

true but i was comparing the performance that the new console needs to achieve. gtx 1080 was a bit overshooting it but something realistic would be the rx 480. 

Not even that high. A gtx 970 (which to my understanding is less powerful than a 480.) can run vr very very well. I'd say they are shooting for 960 level performance. They're targeting 60fps, not 90 and they can afford to have lower graphics in their vr games.

As for 4k, I don't think we'll see any AAA games even if it had 480 performance.

17 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

I doubt it effectively plays games at 4k, the vr is probably a bit rubbish, but it could be interesting to see what comes of this.

probably a RX480 :P 

These new consoles are just a representation of how stupid Sony and Microsoft were for not making the Xbone and PS4 powerful enough in the first place. Now they have to fuck over the devs with even more platforms, fuck over themselves by screwing up the naming schemes and product lines, and fuck over the original customers by outdating their already outdated consoles.

Everyone seems to be forgetting, the console peasants like to game at 30fps so of course 4k gaming is possible, we already have old chips that game at 4k and 30fps with low settings.  

19 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Unless it uses Polaris 10 :P , not sure about the CPU situation though but it seems kinda obvious it not going have lower fidelity than PC

Solves the gpu row power but leaves to question how much a console with a 600-650 usd gpu will cost....

Edit: Last gen they claimed to have the power of a 660ti yet linus media group proved it to be less powerful then a gtx 480 so well see if it is as they claim.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

I don't think is that crazy that they can pull it of, though i predict that only first party games will run at true 4k rendering and most third parties will run at 1440p

13 minutes ago, Gullerback said:

Horseshit imo, unless its just housing pc parts in a console box with Xbox OS. 

well the current xbon one is already that, pc parts into a box with a custom os, they just go the extra mile put the gpu and cpu into the same chip die.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

These new consoles are just a representation of how stupid Sony and Microsoft were for not making the Xbone and PS4 powerful enough in the first place. Now they have to fuck over the devs with even more platforms, fuck over themselves by screwing up the naming schemes and product lines, and fuck over the original customers by outdating their already outdated consoles.

?. Seems like you're putting MS and Sony into a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation.

*they dont release updated consoles* "omfg the current consoles are so outdated. Why aren't they doing anything about it".

*they do release updated consoles* "omfg, how dare they screw over customers!"