New Xbox: 4k Capable and VR Ready (Project Scorpio)

2 minutes ago, Kimmers said:

?. Seems like you're putting MS and Sony into a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation.

*they dont release updated consoles* "omfg the current consoles are so outdated. Why aren't they doing anything about it".

*they do release updated consoles* "omfg, how dare they screw over customers!"

It's not about whether or not they release new consoles. It's about not doing it right in the first place. Everyone, even the companies themselves, knew that the hardware was not going to last. So instead of keeping to their original hardware, they release a whole new console too soon.

This wouldn't be such a fuck up if the original hardware lasted a while longer. They only thing I'm damning them for is for:

1. Releasing the consoles too soon, not in line for when they normally update the 'generation'.

2. Not making the original consoles powerful enough in the first place.

But on the other side of things, they finally they can't give people shit hardware anymore. I mean, this hardware still seems pretty lackluster, but at least they're moving forward. Just at the wrong time.

Here was I thinking that Microsoft was pulling a PS3 and the S in XBox One S stood for Slim...

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

It's not about whether or not they release new consoles. It's about not doing it right in the first place. Everyone, even the companies themselves, knew that the hardware was not going to last. So instead of keeping to their original hardware, they release a whole new console too soon.

This wouldn't be such a fuck up if the original hardware lasted a while longer. They only thing I'm damning them for is for:

1. Releasing the consoles too soon, not in line for when they normally update the 'generation'.

But on the other side of things, they finally they can't give people shit hardware anymore. I mean, this hardware still seems pretty lackluster, but at least they're moving forward. Just at the wrong time.

The original consoles were quite powerful in the first place. The PS4 outperformed any equivalent $400 PC by quite a margin and continues to do so through price drops. Even the Xbox One is getting into the price/performance with its latest $300 price point.

You mention that this hardware still seems pretty lack luster. I wasn't aware that they already released specifications and if they have please link them to me because im genuinely interested. 

1 minute ago, Kimmers said:

The original consoles were quite powerful in the first place. The PS4 outperformed any equivalent $400 PC by quite a margin and continues to do so through price drops. Even the Xbox One is getting into the price/performance with its latest $300 price point.

You mention that this hardware still seems pretty lack luster. I wasn't aware that they already released specifications and if they have please link them to me because im genuinely interested. 

Based off of what I've seen (I could be wrong) it can't even run any demanding titles at 4K? I hear that it'll be like sticking a 390/X in there and trying to run 4K games. That doesn't work out well IIRC.

And you can EASILY build a $400 PC that beats the living daylights of the PS4. It's not hard, you only need a 750 Ti and an i3 to beat it. Here's one I literally just threw together: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKX3Cy

And if you don't think the 750 Ti can match or exceed the PS4/Xbone performance, just look at Digital Foundry's tests on their YouTube channel.

14 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

This isnt a new console, this is a refresh. it wont magically make the old xbox ones stop working, its just a more powerful version of whats already out there. and if they were to make the current gen consoles this powerful when they came out, the prices would have been waaaay too high. get off your hate train, bro

People are making the assumption that having a new console would create a split market.  Not really if you think about it.  When Rockstar released the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of GTA V, someone managed to find debugger code which revealed a PC version.

Essentially, with the transition over to x86 architecture, it's entirely likely that the developer will be able to add dormant code to existing games that can be switched on or off.  We have several quality settings in PC gaming.  This will just be a truncated version of that.  If the game detects Scorpio, it will enable more intense graphic settings.  If it's the release Xbox One, some settings will be disabled to compensate.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

10 minutes ago, Jonnyswboy said:

It does.

...it doesn't stand for Scorpio?

Well don't I feel dumb :D

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

21 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Based off of what I've seen (I could be wrong) it can't even run any demanding titles at 4K? I hear that it'll be like sticking a 390/X in there and trying to run 4K games. That doesn't work out well IIRC.

And you can EASILY build a $400 PC that beats the living daylights of the PS4. It's not hard, you only need a 750 Ti and an i3 to beat it. Here's one I literally just threw together: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKX3Cy

And if you don't think the 750 Ti can match or exceed the PS4/Xbone performance, just look at Digital Foundry's tests on their YouTube channel.

Except that clearly says $412 (without rebates) and the PS4 is now $350. You also forget to include the cost of peripherals and the cost of Windows unless you endorse piracy or SteamOS which is absolute crap for gaming. 

Get off the hate train bro.

1 minute ago, Kimmers said:

Except that clearly says $435 and the PS4 is now $350. You also forget to include the cost of peripherals and the cost of Windows unless you endorse piracy or SteamOS which is absolute crap for gaming. 

It clearly says $372.43. I don't know how you learned to read numbers but that's what it says. And t be honest, you can get peripherals for less than $5, free even if you know where to look. Sure they won't be top notch but they work.

As for Windows, whoever buys it is on a budget, they make the call as to what OS they want to use and how they obtain it. If they want to they can buy it off of Reddit for $15, still keeping the price under $400.

14 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

It clearly says $372.43. I don't know how you learned to read numbers but that's what it says. And t be honest, you can get peripherals for less than $5, free even if you know where to look. Sure they won't be top notch but they work.

As for Windows, whoever buys it is on a budget, they make the call as to what OS they want to use and how they obtain it. If they want to they can buy it off of Reddit for $15, still keeping the price under $400.

Forgive me, I had filters on. I edited my post but my point still stands. As even with rebates it's still more expensive.

Also, they keys are often obtained via illegal means are not meant for distribution. Again, up to the user if they condone illegal practices. This falls into a legal grey market and if your argument for PC gaming relies on a customer shopping in a grey market then I don't think there's much more to be said.

23 minutes ago, Michael McAllister said:

People are making the assumption that having a new console would create a split market.  Not really if you think about it.  When Rockstar released the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of GTA V, someone managed to find debugger code which revealed a PC version.

Essentially, with the transition over to x86 architecture, it's entirely likely that the developer will be able to add dormant code to existing games that can be switched on or off.  We have several quality settings in PC gaming.  This will just be a truncated version of that.  If the game detects Scorpio, it will enable more intense graphic settings.  If it's the release Xbox One, some settings will be disabled to compensate.

That's how I imagine it'll work.

At first I was hesitant about refreshed consoles as it made me worry if it would split the market but as long as all games can be played regardless of console then I am happy that consumers are given options.

"Screwing developers." Who exactly are they screwing? Third party developers that are already creating assets for PC gamers? First party developers who are now required to create a Windows 10 version of the game (thus releasing them to create assets for the highest end GPUs)? Or indie developers that are probably already making PC versions of their games anyway.

Sony will ultimately be the platform holder that is screwing developers, as they're going to be requiring their first party developers to create versions of games that will only see viability on a very small install base.

As for the cost vs. performance. You can make the argument that you can build a PC that matches or beats a console, but you're ignoring key items. There's no operating system ($100, if you're legit), HDMI cables that are included in the box ($5), peripherals (Game controller: call it $30), not to mention the lack of need to build and maintain the device, which for a large portion of the consumer market is worth a lot. Your box is realistically $500, yes it has additional functionality over a console, but to be fair that computer doesn't really provide much.

If anything Microsoft and Sony made an error by not refreshing their consoles sooner.

56 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Here was I thinking that Microsoft was pulling a PS3 and the S in XBox One S stood for Slim...

Actually the Xbox One S (releasing this year) stands for Slim as it's slimmer than the original Xbox One. However, it doesn't have any new hardware. Project Scoprio on the other hand, releasing Holiday 2017, will have new hardware. 

The only difference between the One and the One S is that it is slimmer, built in power supply, has bluetooth, 4K bluray player, and has HDMI 2.0 (for 4K movies). Performance wise, it's the same.

My PC Specs: Corsair HAF XB Case - i5 3570K CPU @ 4.2 GHz - Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt Motherboard - 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600 MHz (4 x 4GB) RAM - Corsair Enthusiast TX650M 650W PSU - Nvidia GT 520 1GB Video Card (Upgrading Soon) - Samsung 840 250GB SSD (Boot + Some Programs) - Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA3 HDD (Main Storage) - Hitachi 250GB Laptop HDD (Recording Storage, old HDD) - Hitachi 320GB HDD (Random Storage, old HDD) - Asus PB238Q 23" LCD IPS Monitor (Main) - Acer AL2017 20" LCD Monitor (Secondary) - Logitech Z623 Computer Speaker - Blue Snowball Microphone - Logitech K120 Keyboard - Lenovo Mouse

Confirmed to have 6Tflops of compute performance

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

2 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

unless people manage to put 2 gtx 1080s and i7 6700k performance in that little box then maybe but i doubt it 

oh, people have already done with with ITX style builds.

But not at around $499 pricetag

3 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

unless people manage to put 2 gtx 1080s and i7 6700k performance in that little box then maybe but i doubt it 

not enough for games don't work titles

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

4 minutes ago, dimitriianghelov said:

not enough for game don't work titles

Could not for the life of me understand what you just said.

My PC Specs: Corsair HAF XB Case - i5 3570K CPU @ 4.2 GHz - Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt Motherboard - 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600 MHz (4 x 4GB) RAM - Corsair Enthusiast TX650M 650W PSU - Nvidia GT 520 1GB Video Card (Upgrading Soon) - Samsung 840 250GB SSD (Boot + Some Programs) - Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA3 HDD (Main Storage) - Hitachi 250GB Laptop HDD (Recording Storage, old HDD) - Hitachi 320GB HDD (Random Storage, old HDD) - Asus PB238Q 23" LCD IPS Monitor (Main) - Acer AL2017 20" LCD Monitor (Secondary) - Logitech Z623 Computer Speaker - Blue Snowball Microphone - Logitech K120 Keyboard - Lenovo Mouse

24 minutes ago, Ethernet said:

Could not for the life of me understand what you just said.

try tomb raider dx 11 vs dx 12 , batman shitty game

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

Yo a 1080 in the new Xbox isn't happening. 

The consoles are going to feature AMD hardware only. Vega won't be out in time and probably way too expensive for a console.

So think APU with "RX 485" or some other custom solution.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

Good news for console users i guess, and people here, remember 1080P native Xone games will look stunning upscaled to 4K.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

4 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Solves the gpu row power but leaves to question how much a console with a 600-650 usd gpu will cost....

Edit: Last gen they claimed to have the power of a 660ti yet linus media group proved it to be less powerful then a gtx 480 so well see if it is as they claim.

I wrote that wrong meant to say its obvious it is going to have lower fidelity than PC

man. it will be Holiday 2017... it will be old hardware, when it will release 

I like how people are trying to crap all over this as if they somehow have a duty to. Really, 6TFLOPs? This thing is going to have something similar to the 1070/Rx480 in it. Now that's a spec that's more than capable of decent VR. It's also a spec that's good enough that 4K is playable especially if you turn the settings down a bit. It's a spec that'll crush 1440p and destroy 1080p. It's a spec that I'd wager is better than the PCs from pretty much everyone who's commented in this thread thus far.

But you know what else? While all this is happening and people are throwing crap from great heights? You all seemed to fail to notice that pretty much every game that Microsoft showed was "exclusive to XBox One (and Windows 10)". They even made a point of hyping up the content they'd have that'll be cross-buy. So the way I see it we don't even really have to care about what their hardware spec is. As PC gamers we can, will and have built our own "XBox". There's no need to throw daggers because now we're pretty much on the same platform.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

4K gameplay? So low graphic setting and low fps I guess. Well, let us see how it turns anyway.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4k30fps? That's the only thing I can see. Assuming they put a RX 480 in it, it's gonna cost $200+ by itself

9 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

4k30fps? That's the only thing I can see. Assuming they put a RX 480 in it, it's gonna cost $200+ by itself

My best bet is it'll cost $600 at launch and an optional bundle sale with an oculus for $1k. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.