Owners of new Titan x/980 ti/980 what and how do you feel/ think about new GPU release?

PLEASE NOTE that this thread's intention is not to start a flame war nor bash on people decisions. It is meant purely as a way for me/ us to discuss the upcoming release of pascal and what it means for the people with a fairly new GPU.

Hello LTT forum!

Today I would like to discuss a very exciting matter, and that is the upcoming release of pascal. But not only that I would also like to converse with the people whom bought a high end card not long ago. 

So what do you think about pascal? Will it be as big of a performance gain as the hype says or will it fly down towards the ground like an arrow to the knee of an adventurer? Personally I think it won't be ''double the performance of the titan x'' as some people seem the believe around here I think they misstok it for the performance in vr  but I'm not sure but nevertheless I am hyped as I will be buying a 1080 as soon as it is available in Sweden. (Currently got a r7 360 matched with a 5960x processor) So I do really hope it will be a good card. Do any of y'all like the new reference design cooler and SLI bridge? I think it looks badass but it doesn't really match the shape and feel of my soft tubing. (picture for those of you who haven't seen it yet)GeForce_GTX_1080_3QtrFrontLeft_1462593793-980x712.jpg

But what I really do wonder is what do you think, the people who own a 980ti or titan x, will you buy the new 1080/ 1070 or will you never upgrade or perhaps wait until a newer version like maybe a 1080 ti will release? (even though we can't know for sure if it will or when it will). And when did you buy your card? was it a month ago you posted a thread in ''new builds and planning'' asking for recommendations about what processor or gpu you should buy and was it then you ignored the people saying ''wait for pascal, it's gonna be much better''? Or was it a year ago you bought your card? 

Please tell me, I'm really curios about hearing you LTT members telling me when or why you bought your card and if you are going to buy pascal or if you think pascal sucks and should die. (lol) Anyways thanks for reading and have a good day(night for me lel) :)

They should feel indifferent. Simple as that.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

2x titan X is only for VR games where their new optimization technology is used

its only 30% better in regular games

still great considering its nearly half the price

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Shahnewaz said:

But why? They are most likely pc enthusiasts and I would sure as hell be a bit salty if I just bought a new GPU for a cr*p ton of $$$ and then a better card comes out for less. 

1 minute ago, Shahnewaz said:

i think they should feel bad because they are impulse buyers with no patience or budgeting skills :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

2x titan X is only for VR games where their new optimization technology is used

Yeah I know I even said it in little sized text, it's just most people on this forum got it mixed up with the 30% increase.

1 minute ago, Loleo said:

But why? They are most likely pc enthusiasts and I would sure as hell be a bit salty if I just bought a new GPU for a cr*p ton of $$$ and then a better card comes out for less. 

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

i think they should feel bad because they are impulse buyers with no patience or budgeting skills :)

6 minutes ago, Loleo said:

PLEASE NOTE that this thread's intention is not to start a flame war nor bash on people decisions. It is meant purely as a way for me/ us to discuss the upcoming release of pascal and what it means for the people with a fairly new GPU.

You people are going against the purpose of this thread.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 minute ago, Loleo said:

It's expected that a new card is going to come out, it's no surprise to anyone with a high end card that a year plus later something better will come out. Those with the pockets will upgrade anyways. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

This is the enthusiast PC market. That's kinda a given. xD

2 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

You people are going against the purpose of this thread.

Lol what? @Enderman might have been a bit edgy but I wasn't. I feel like I would just be a tad upset if I bought a 980ti instead of the r7 360 when I was buying my components last month.

I got a used Strix 980 for $400 a few months ago - I'm not particularly bothered.

1 minute ago, ch0g0nda said:

I got a used Strix 980 for $400 a few months ago - I'm not particularly bothered.

That is a nice deal and was even way better back then. But it's cool that you are indifferent, I mean that's how you should be if you aren't lacking performance. Thanks for your input mate.

7 minutes ago, Loleo said:

Lol what?

16 minutes ago, Loleo said:

Let them speak for themselves. If you would feel salty, then that's good, it shows you have good knowledge of the GPU market. But don't rub that on the GTX 980Ti/Titan X owners.

The reason I said they should feel indifferent is because this is normal generational leap in performance. Nothing is unusual here, and their flagship Maxwell GPUs won't perform any less than they always used to because Pascal GPUs are out.*

* Unless they gimp their previous generation GPUs with drivers. In that case, it's not their fault.

6 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Let them speak for themselves. If you would feel salty, then that's good, it shows you have good knowledge of the GPU market. But don't rub that on the GTX 980Ti/Titan X owners.

The reason I said they should feel indifferent is because this is normal generational leap in performance. Nothing is unusual here, and their flagship Maxwell GPUs won't perform any less than they always used to because Pascal GPUs are out.*

* Unless they gimp their previous generation GPUs with drivers. In that case, it's not their fault.

Yeah but it might also be because I'm quite salty as a person (maybe because I'm Swedish, we add a lot of salt to our food) I bought a 5960x and got a tad upset when the 6950x (or whatever that 10 core pzzt is called) was rumored. I guess it is that childish and immature personality that's stuck in me since it's not like I would be able to use 10 cores. Heck even 8 cores is overkill.

Also this is quite a fun discussion but I'm honestly quite surprised that no one has any comments on the cooler design seeing how it was a bit of a rampage when it was first leaked.

7 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

a normal generation performance increase is 30% improvement over the card it replaces

eg. a 1080 would be 30% better than a 980

not 30% better than the flagship titan X

not almost 80% better than a 980

this is NOT a normal "generation leap in performance" this is over double that

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

a normal generation performance increase is 30% improvement over the card it replaces

eg. a 1080 would be 30% better than a 980

not 30% better than the flagship titan X

not almost 80% better than a 980

this is NOT a normal "generation leap in performance" this is over double that

We're not talking about GTX 980 owners here. It's 30% for the people we're talking about.

And yes, it's a major performance leap, but what else did you expect from a die shrink?

Regardless, my point still stands. They should be fine with that they have now.

3 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

We're not talking about GTX 980 owners here. It's 30% for the people we're talking about.

And yes, it's a major performance leap, but what else did you expect from a die shrink?

Regardless, my point still stands. They should be fine with that they have now.

of course its "fine"

the titan X and 980ti still perform the same as they did before the product launch

the only thing is that they could have gotten much better value for their money had they waited a few months like literally everyone was telling them to do

Who doesnt want more performance for less money??

Most of the people ive seen on reddit are planning to sell their 900 or titan X card and get a 1080

but i bet quite a few people will just wait until the 1080ti and save up in the meantime

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

of course its "fine"

the titan X and 980ti still perform the same as they did before the product launch

the only thing is that they could have gotten much better value for their money had they waited a few months like literally everyone was telling them to do

Who doesnt want more performance for less money??

Most of the people ive seen on reddit are planning to sell their 900 or titan X card and get a 1080

but i bet quite a few people will just wait until the 1080ti and save up in the meantime

Pretty much. Starting about 2 months ago, no one should have been buying anything higher than a 390 or 970. We were telling to be patient and maybe grab a 950 if they really needed something to hold them over. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Happens every time a new node releases, GPUs scale well cause more cores actually works, seeing a lot of annoyed people who bought $600 cards in the past month or so. Those who don't learn history are destined to repeat it.

18 minutes ago, harrynowl said:

Happens every time a new node releases, GPUs scale well cause more cores actually works, seeing a lot of annoyed people who bought $600 cards in the past month or so. Those who don't learn history are destined to repeat it.

at least the ones who bought from EVGA have 90 days to get it upgraded

Spoiler

Personally I don't care, there will always be something new on the horizon and unless I can time travel into the future and grab something and then return you'll never be fully future proof. I bought my 980TIs middle of last year and probably won't upgrade for a while.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Personally I don't care, there will always be something new on the horizon and unless I can time travel into the future and grab something and then return you'll never be fully future proof. I bought my 980TIs middle of last year and probably won't upgrade for a while.

Pretty much. When it comes to technology, improved hardware is always right around the corner. Just purchase the best that you can, when you can, and don't give it a second thought. One could argue not to buy these new cards because in a month's time, manufacturers are going to start releasing their custom versions, which will be marginally better. One could then argue not to purchase those cards, because the Ti version is about to land, which will once again be, marginally better. So, yeah.

1 hour ago, Loleo said:

I bought a 5960x and got a tad upset when the 6950x (or whatever that 10 core pzzt is called) was rumored. I guess it is that childish and immature personality that's stuck in me since it's not like I would be able to use 10 cores. Heck even 8 cores is overkill.

Just like Pascal, I wouldn't worry about your purchase of a 5960x over a 6950x much until we see actual hands on reviews of retail samples.  Overclocking on the 10-core isn't necessarily looking as good as the 6 and 8 core Broadwell-E variants.

As for how do I feel about Pascal?  I'll grab a couple of 1080s when they release and will probably look hard at Tis when they release.  Upgrading is part of the game.  

I don't know who's supposed to feel bad, but I sure don't.  :D

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Just like Pascal, I wouldn't worry about your purchase of a 5960x over a 6950x much until we see actual hands on reviews of retail samples.  Overclocking on the 10-core isn't necessarily looking as good as the 6 and 8 core Broadwell-E variants.

As for how do I feel about Pascal?  I'll grab a couple of 1080s when they release and will probably look hard at Tis when they release.  Upgrading is part of the game.  

I don't know who's supposed to feel bad, but I sure don't.  :D

Probably the ones who can't upgrade often. Someone like me (a college student majoring in Multimedia/Computer Graphics) who doesn't have a whack-load of cash walkin' around.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440