Owners of new Titan x/980 ti/980 what and how do you feel/ think about new GPU release?

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

I guess it kind of makes me glad that I won't be building my PC until summertime. Though I'm aware of Zen coming out but I'll put some money into Skylake.

I'm not sure I have sympathy for those experiencing some buyers remorse after a better and cheaper product supplants their "old" product. Even though their GPU is still rather relevant.  

Dunno about skylake, maybe going with the new broadwell-E 6950k would be a better choice as future games take more and more advantage of those extra cores and threads.  

10 minutes ago, Lays said:

Already got my moneys worth out of my 980 ti, already did what I wanted to with it basically.

If that ain't the understatement of the year!  Like more money's worth out of that one card than most got with two.

5 hours ago, Enderman said:

i think they should feel bad because they are impulse buyers with no patience or budgeting skills :)

The only thing I wanted to do that I couldn't was put it on Ln2, but I don't have the means for that :(

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

5 minutes ago, jwakeford said:

Dunno about skylake, maybe going with the new broadwell-E 6950k would be a better choice as future games take more and more advantage of those extra cores and threads.  

Eh, a bit out of what I'd be willing to spend as I'm after something like the i5 6600K in terms of performance and price.

I guess if I had the money for a 6700K and the jump to a Broadwell-E 5820K equivalent wasn't too expensive, it'd be a consideration.

As far as I'm concerned the 6600K might not be too much faster than its older Devil's Canyon sibling (the i5 4690K) but at least it's a little easier to shop for and might run a little cooler than the 4690K. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Eh, a bit out of what I'd be willing to spend as I'm after the in the i5 6600K in terms of performance and price.

I guess if I had the money for a 6700K and the jump to a Broadwell-E 5820K equivalent wasn't too expensive, it'd be a consideration.

As far as I'm concerned the 6600K might not be too much faster than it's older Devil's Canyon sibling (the i5 4690K) but at least it's a little easier to shop for and might run a little cooler than the 4690K. 

Granted, if I were to go Skylake I would also take the 6600K for best price/performance. 
Its a very decent option. 

7 minutes ago, Lays said:

Is it really that big of a deal though? If you have a job and budget properly, spending a few hundred and selling your old card to pay for the new one every ~6 months is not that much money in the grand scheme of things. That's only $50 a month you have to save, if you only need to spend ~300 on the upgrade. 

Some people do and other's like to watch.  Then there are those who just sit around praying that someone else has a bad day.

Put me in the first category.  I'd rather not hear a budget comment from those who sit on the sideline yelling "I told you so" as they ride the pine.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Some people do and other's like to watch.  Then there are those who just sit around praying that someone else has a bad day.

Put me in the first category.  I'd rather not hear a budget comment from those who sit on the sideline yelling "I told you so" as they ride the pine.

I'd definitely be the third haha 

1 minute ago, jwakeford said:

Granted, if I were to go Skylake I would also take the 6600K for best price/performance. 
Its a very decent option. 

That it is. I think if games start leveraging multi-threaded work loads in the near future the i7 of now and past will be useful (though probably more specifically the 4790K to  the 6700K) and the current FX 8 and 6 core CPUs.

I had wanted a 5820K since they've been out, but cost and really what I need/want have changed and or were wants that seemed like a necessity. Which is why I'm planning on doing something like this... http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vDpymG

Also, I'm aware that it's rather spendy and I could get a more bare bones Broadwell-E/Haswell-E build for around the same price. Though I feel that with this, I get more stuff for what I'll be paying.

I'd definitely be the third haha 

I respect your honesty bud!

15 minutes ago, Lays said:

Is it really that big of a deal though? If you have a job and budget properly, spending a few hundred and selling your old card to pay for the new one every ~6 months is not that much money in the grand scheme of things. That's only $50 a month you have to save, if you only need to spend ~300 on the upgrade. 

you wont believe how many people buy high end cards when they really dont have the income to spend money like that

especially the people who want to "futureproof" and not buy another GPU for 10 years

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

That it is. I think if games start leveraging multi-threaded work loads in the near future the i7 of now and past will be useful (though probably more specifically the 4790K to  the 6700K) and the current FX 8 and 6 core CPUs.

I had wanted a 5820K since they've been out, but cost and really what I need/want have changed and or were wants that seemed like a necessity. Which is why I'm planning on doing something like this... http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vDpymG

Also, I'm aware that it's rather spendy and I could get a more bare bones Broadwell-E/Haswell-E build for around the same price. Though I feel that with this, I get more stuff for what I'll be paying.

nice build, but come on, 90 bucks for sleeved cables ... oh well if it really has to be pretty... 

3 minutes ago, jwakeford said:

nice build, but come on, 90 bucks for sleeved cables ... oh well if it really has to be pretty... 

Cablemod isn't really any cheaper, and sleeving them myself is too much work.

Though that's what I'm getting at is that sure, I could go for an X99 build with like a 980ti for about the same price but I just wouldn't get as much stuff to accompany the build itself.

Cablemod isn't really any cheaper, and sleeving them myself is too much work.

Though that's what I'm getting at is that sure, I could go for an X99 build with like a 980ti for about the same price but I just wouldn't get as much stuff to accompany the build itself.

I can understand the aesthetic sensibility but i'd rather have a silenced case with no window like the fractal define S for 80$ and save 90$ on the sleeves and 60 on the Hue+ and get the X99 with 5820k or 6700k for the same price / slightly cheaper but thats just me ^^

4 minutes ago, jwakeford said:

I can understand the aesthetic sensibility but i'd rather have a silenced case with no window like the fractal define S for 80$ and save 90$ on the sleeves and 60 on the Hue+ and get the X99 with 5820k or 6700k for the same price / slightly cheaper but thats just me ^^

Yeah, I want an aesthetically pleasing build. Though I could technically pull that off with a 5820K/980ti and actually cheaper too. 

But I wouldn't have the budget for the keyboard, mouse, speakers, or the Hue+ and sleeved cables.

a 6700K/R9 390X build with cheaper perhiperals and maybe not getting the Hue+ and or the cables would be a compromise I think I could tolerate.

Though kinda going in OT territory so idk.

Edited by wcreek
OT lyfe?

6 hours ago, Enderman said:

i think they should feel bad because they are impulse buyers with no patience or budgeting skills :)

The ignorance in your post is off the charts.

Impulsive? Sure. No patience/budgeting skills? Disagree entirely.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

you wont believe how many people buy high end cards when they really dont have the income to spend money like that

especially the people who want to "futureproof" and not buy another GPU for 10 years

Either way though, just because something new comes out doesn't mean that the high end GPU of last gen is completely useless, which for some reason people seem to think happens, nom saiyan? :D

I mean at the end of a day, a 980 / 980 ti / Titan X is still a 980 / 980 ti / Titan X. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

7 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Yeah, I want an aesthetically pleasing build. Though I could technically pull that off with a 5820K/980ti and actually cheaper too. 

But I wouldn't have the budget for the keyboard, mouse, speakers, or the Hue+ and sleeved cables.

a 6700K/R9 390X build with cheaper perhiperals and maybe not getting the Hue+ and or the cables would be a compromise I think I could tolerate.

Though kinda going in OT territory so idk.

With my option you save 170$ and keep all the rest. 
You could get a 1070 instead of the R9 390X and save 30$ more for same performance or better. 
So you have 200$ spared, now you can easily pull it off on the X99 platform. 
But I can sort of understand if your priority is to have a pretty box ^^ 

3 minutes ago, MegaDave91 said:

The ignorance in your post is off the charts.

you should read this guy's reply, it will amaze you with how much worse it is: linustechtips.com/main/topic/592735-owners-of-new-titan-x980-ti980-what-and-how-do-you-feel-think-about-new-gpu-release/?do=findComment&comment=7712312

2 minutes ago, Lays said:

Either way though, just because something new comes out doesn't mean that the high end GPU of last gen is completely useless, which for some reason people seem to think happens. 

I mean at the end of a day, a 980 / 980 ti / Titan X is still a 980 / 980 ti / Titan X. 

yeah I get that

doesnt change the fact that they could have gotten something MUCH better by waiting a month or two

theres a difference between being impatient and needing to spend money instantly and actually having a bit of sense to maybe wait for pascal or polaris to get better value for the money

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

With my option you save 170$ and keep all the rest. 
You could get a 1070 instead of the R9 390X and save 30$ more for same performance or better. 
So you have 200$ spared, now you can easily pull it off on the X99 platform. 
But I can sort of understand if your priority is to have a pretty box ^^ 

Yeah, I'm waiting on Polaris. I hope the 480X has around 390X performance at 380X price.

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Yeah, I'm waiting on Polaris. I hope the 480X has around 390X performance at 380X price.

Even better :) 
You will save potentially another 50 $ for the same performance.  

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

yeah I get that

doesnt change the fact that they could have gotten something MUCH better by waiting a month or two

theres a difference between being impatient and needing to spend money instantly and actually having a bit of sense to maybe wait for pascal or polaris to get better value for the money

That's 1-2 months they could of been using their purchase, enjoying it and playing their favorite games though.  

By the time Polaris and Pascal are in full swing, next thing ya know people will be telling everyone to wait for Volta and whatever comes after Polaris.

There's ALWAYS going to be something better & newer around the corner, it's part of life.  I'd rather enjoy my experience & my life instead of waiting around for the "next best thing."

Yeah like i'm using a 4 year old GPU(arch wise) and i don't even regret it...

I bought my 270X right before Maxwell came out and i didn't mind about the 970 as i was happy with the performance.

Chances are if you're happy with it, you won't improve it or so as it's where you want it to be..

7 minutes ago, Lays said:

That's 1-2 months they could of been using their purchase, enjoying it and playing their favorite games though.  

By the time Polaris and Pascal are in full swing, next thing ya know people will be telling everyone to wait for Volta and whatever comes after Polaris.

There's ALWAYS going to be something better & newer around the corner, it's part of life.  I'd rather enjoy my experience & my life instead of waiting around for the "next best thing."

I understand that the time of use is definitely part of what you pay, and I dont tell people to wait for the next best thing, except in cases like this one where it is literally a month away

Is that one month worth $300 that you will lose by buying a titan X and then selling it a month from now to upgrade?

Keep in mind that most of these people already have a GPU like a 780ti or something, and they are just upgrading now

Could that 780ti or whatever not lasted another 1 month?

Seriously, its such a short amount of time, if you really needed a more GPU you could have bought one a year ago, paid the same price, and gotten more use out of it

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Enderman said:

you should read this guy's reply, it will amaze you with how much worse it is: linustechtips.com/main/topic/592735-owners-of-new-titan-x980-ti980-what-and-how-do-you-feel-think-about-new-gpu-release/?do=findComment&comment=7712312

yeah I get that

So according to you; they're impatient, impulsive, have poor budgeting skills, AND NOW they're senseless. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Just now, MegaDave91 said:

So according to you; they're impatient, impulsive, have poor budgeting skills, AND NOW they're senseless. 

not all, just most (there will always be people with excessive amounts of money who dont care about what they spend and when)

because you need to be really dumb to wait a year to buy something like a titan X (already a waste of money compared to a 980ti) and then blow all the money so close to a new release

its called forethought

and luckily most people have it

Spoiler