ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

i live in south Texas its really dry

Touch the case or the power supply (plugged in but off) and you'll be fine. Although I've built some computers in some dry weather and never had a problem.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

i have over 10 years with computers and i have never used one. just touch something metal when you get up or move around a lot you will be fine.

yes and no.

When dealing with computer desktop parts, I just ground myself to the case that has a psu installed, but turned off.

When dealing with laptops, or delicate electronic circuits, that need repairs, I usually do because most don't have a chassis body to earth ground but rather logical ground( the "Ground" on a DC circuit [usually]).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I didn't use one when I built my first PC, and everything went fine.  I just would touch my case every so often to ground myself.  

I wear one but only because my work area charges me up pretty good. Otherwise I wouldn't.

As long as you keep grounding yourself on a large metal object, especially before handling components such as the GPU and CPU, you'll be fine. I grounded myself on the computer case itself during my build.

FX 8350 | MSI 650ti BOOST | Gigabyte 970A-UD3P | Corsair CX 430

Diablotek Evo | WD Caviar Green 1TB 

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

Probably so people don't go yelling at him.

Interesting thought. If you watch some of his videos, especially personal builds, it seems unlikely he is using one at all times.

Interesting thought. If you watch some of his videos, especially personal builds, it seems unlikely he is using one at all times.

In one of his videos he said that instead of wearing it on his wrist he wears it on his ankle to get it out of the way.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

It's generally better to have the antistatic wrist strap, but it is not 100% neccessary either.

In one of his videos he said that instead of wearing it on his wrist he wears it on his ankle to get it out of the way.

he says that in a few of his builds.

But that does not mean he wears one all the time when handling components, especially the personal builds. They tend to be of the moment and less planning, and I don't know if he is actually wearing one.

Do you think they were wearing one when building that christmas pc?

Hey guys i am going to be building my first PC YAY <3 and i did not buy a  Anti-Static Wrist Strap and i was wondering if i should build my PC or buy one and wait a week until it arrives.

Most people don't think so but today I went to Fry's Electronics and they had motherboards on display so I touched the pins on the CPU socket (LOL) and then I touched something metal and I got shocked. xD:D (And yes, I know you never touch the pins but it was on display so I had to.)

BTW, congratulations on building your first PC.

Most people don't think so but today I went to Fry's Electronics and they had motherboards on display so I touched the pins on the CPU socket (LOL) and then I touched something metal and I got shocked. xD:D (And yes, I know you never touch the pins but it was on display so I had to.)

BTW, congratulations on building your first PC.

You just got "Fry'ed" :D

Get it? Fry'ed? Like in "Fry's Electronics?

Man my sense of humour is dry... :(

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

before you build put on socks stand on carpet and rub your feet on the carpet ;) just kidiiing dont actually do that

I feel like if you are going to be doing a lot of builds its just a useful little thing you can get, like one of those test benches, but for one build, just be cautious

My PC:

Case: Corsair C70, Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45, CPU: I5-4670k, RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance, GPU: Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming , PSU: Corsair RM650W Gold, Storage: 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD, 240 GB Kingston SSDNOW

Anti-Static Wrist Straps are as unnecessary as ...

... wearing a helmet on a bike.

... wearing seat belts in a car.

... having a car with air bags.

... not running with scissors.

... using rubber soled shoes in a high voltage area.

... not running around outside a swimming pool.

... wearing a hard hat in a construction zone.

... not leaning over a cliff with unstable soil.

... walking around in an uncovered area with metal objects in hand during a thunderstorm.

... jay walking in through a fast moving boulevard.

... not sticking a body part outside a fast moving car that's being driven in close proximity to other cars and objects.

Because that one time you least expected... ssnnaaappp... a static charge fries your computer or connected component.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Today I went to Fry's Electronics and they had motherboards on display... I touched the CPU socket pins (I know you aren't supposed to when building a PC, but it was on display so I just had to :)) Then I touched something metal and shocked myself. xD:D

You are a bad person. Yes it is a display model but it is still a motherboard. Just act like the items in the store are paid for out of your pocket.

Sounds like a guilty admission to me. 

Your punishment: http://rustledjimmies.com/

EDIT: Watch it all and you shall be forgiven. Same goes for any others who feel guilty for some tech related crime.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2450M @ 2.5Ghz RAM: 8GB GPU: HD Radeon 7470M (Potato) Mobo: No idea, probably a pumpkin.

My computer is a laptop.

BF3 on minimum settings = 25fps @ 720p

Today I went to Fry's Electronics and they had motherboards on display... I touched the CPU socket pins (I know you aren't supposed to when building a PC, but it was on display so I just had to :)) Then I touched something metal and shocked myself. xD:D

Your shoes cause friction = static buildup in your body.

It's similar to going to a grocery store and touching a fridge handle and getting a shock.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

You are a bad person. Yes it is a display model but it is still a motherboard. Just act like the items in the store are paid for out of your pocket.

Sounds like a guilty admission to me. 

Your punishment: http://rustledjimmies.com/

EDIT: Watch it all and you shall be forgiven. Same goes for any others who feel guilty for some tech related crime.

Your shoes cause friction = static buildup in your body.

It's similar to going to a grocery store and touching a fridge handle and getting a shock.

watch this lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtlYi1yLTVQ

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

*** Headset - ROG Vulcan ANC

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

*** Headset - ROG Vulcan ANC

If it was on display I doubt it was ever going to be used, in fact it was probably broken already or touched by hundreds of other people.

Stop being a coward and fight the beast like a man!(by beast I mean your PC)

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

If you ground yourself frequently during the build process, you will be fine.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

just connect your power supply to the wall, turn the mains on but not the power supply itself, touch it, and you're grounded :)

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz