Dell XPS 15 9550 Review

XPS laptops are probably my favorite all-purpose laptops.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB @3600MHz CL16 | AMD Radeon 6800 XT Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 w/ Tempered Glass | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + ADATA SU800 2TB | Corsair HX1000iNoctua NH-D15 chromax.black

well Linus the Singapore website also have those typographic errors

but its still ok with the capacity but the screen still say 4k for the full HD version

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Linus is so right about Dell's website, like seriously Dell?! Get your $&@# together!!

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB @3600MHz CL16 | AMD Radeon 6800 XT Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 w/ Tempered Glass | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + ADATA SU800 2TB | Corsair HX1000iNoctua NH-D15 chromax.black

So did linus replace his blade for the xps 15?

11 minutes ago, Ariito said:

His razer blade make me wanna puke.

Razer must give him A LOT OF MONEY in order to convince him that he use it as a daily driver.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

6 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Razer must give him A LOT OF MONEY in order to convince him that he use it as a daily driver.

explain, based on what i can see its a macbook running windows with a real gpu and in black. Hardly a bad thing.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

14 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Nope, he just has a giant hardon for it. And to be fair, it's better than most current laptops..

An SSD is a hard drive, Linus.

30 minutes ago, Ariito said:

No.. but more out of convenience than out of liking the Blade 14 better. They are both formidable machines.

The Dell has a PCIe SSD, the Blade has a better GPU

The Dell is bigger, the Blade is heavier

The Dell is 1080p (my fault), the Blade is 1800p touchscreen

Lots of trade-offs. Both excellent machines.

Here is what i see the XPS main primary uses is for the mobile warrior for punching words and excel while on the go like traveling from country to country 

and if he wants to play some games the GTX960M will do most of the job

SSD is a must get if you want speedy fast boot up and application responsiveness

4K is not needed for the mobile warrior and it drains the battery like Linus says and the GTX960M will not drive that res in games.

10 minutes ago, Svinsparbriivu said:

An SSD is a hard drive, Linus.

and you came here to tell him that?

really...

did you even watch the video?

9 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

No.. but more out of convenience than out of liking the Blade 14 better. They are both formidable machines.

i noticed your config isnt listed on Dell website in my region

I only get the 1080P screen with a HDD and the SSD cache part and 8GB of RAM

Dell used to have a configuration selection for most of their product but now it just pick the best or worse parts and you have to live with the overkill or regret not getting the better version

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 minute ago, dragoon20005 said:

and you came here to tell him that?

really...

I came here to watch the video. I know his point is that - while technically correct - the term will lead to misunderstandings.

It's just that ragging on terms which are technically correct, but make for bad marketing is a very un-geek thing to do.

42 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Nope, he just has a giant hardon for it. And to be fair, it's better than most current laptops..

LOL!

Then sorry for my rudeness!

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

The screen sold it to me right off the bat in the begining of the video. 

that dbrand skin is kind of off putting...

Just not a fan of the fake wood look on a laptop. It reminds me of those stationwagons and minivans with the terrible wood trim.

Just had to register to comment on this. I have been waiting for this review for a while.
I wonder if Linus could test a External GPU setup by using PCI-E to thunderbolt 3 adapter, and a external PSU for the GPU. I know it was mentioned by dell originally the new XPS's will be able to do this, but I cannot find evidence of anyone anywhere doing it.
Only thing stopping me from buying the XPS 15 at the moment is confirming the external GPU setup works.

6 hours ago, LinusTech said:

lol but razer products are overpriced

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

34 minutes ago, crysilis said:

So are Dell products, so they're kind of even there.

Do not feed.

I have long complained about Dell's website and how it displays information to the user. From a design standpoint the layout is confusing, misleading, and down right awful design. It almost feels like Dell's web design and marketing team were sleeping when they designed their current site. I agree with Linus when he says the laptop is a "good" product and I believe that there are people out there who will love that laptop, but all of that means nothing when your website and marketing are trash. Dell's Alienware site is a textbook example of "lacks continuity" by showing you a (decent) webpage that is clearly the "Alienware" brand/design, but then goes on to ruin the identity after clicking on a product by bringing you directly to a poorly designed Dell page with a splash of black paint.... SMH here Dell.... WTF...>:(

The marketing and web design teams need to wake up, get their shit together, and properly create a good website that is functional to the customer and the company. Simple things like design, layout, and continuity among Dell's different brands can mean the difference for a solid product in being successful or a complete failure. It would not be so hard to create three different "brand" designs for Dell's products that are easy to understand, here is an example:

Create a simple and easy to understand design language with the following

1. Home Devices (Desktops/Laptops) Use the color green.  Circles, ovals, and curves to express energy and excitement.

2. Office Devices (Desktops/Laptops) Use the color blue.  Squared off design to show professionalism. 

3. Gaming Devices (Desktops/Laptops) Use the color black.  Sharp jagged edges, some glowing green or red.

4. Accessories (all types) Use the color maroon or red. (links to the product accessories on the product page would be nice)

I am not saying this is a prefect example or that dell should follow this method, but in less then 5 minutes I am able to design and plan out a much better web interface then what Dell currently has. I really hope Dell gets their crap together, wakes up, and designs a good website that can drive their products and be successful. 

2 hours ago, crysilis said:

Depends on the product.

I love my xps 15 (I actually have the same spec that you reviewd). It is my only pc while I am at school and is able to do everything I need it to do with horsepower to spare. I also find it to be a capable gaming machine though I am not playing many recent AAA titles on it. Though I will say that the broadcom wifi is causing me issues. Not because of performance or anything but because the most recent driver update introduced random blue screens and I had to roll back the drivers to fix that.

12 hours ago, nicklmg said:

*comment about thinkpads and how great they are*

If only they had decent prices...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.