new skylake overclocking record

linuxfan66

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/90362-intel-skylake-overclock-record-702566mhz-achieved/

None of the above sensible considerations have much of an impact on competitive overclocking enthusiasts. PC Gamerreports that Hong Kong's Chi-Kui Lam recently managed to get his Intel Core i7 6700K processor running at a record breaking 7025.66MHz. As is usual with overclocks of modern multi-core processors, only a single core was tasked (core voltage 4.032V) and lashings of liquid nitrogen was applied to keep the processor cool enough.

Other system specs, as used by Lam to gain Skylake overclocking pole position, include the following; an ASRock Z170M OC Formula motherboard, a G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 DDR4 RAM memory module, a Plextor 256GB SSD, an Nvidia GeForce GT630 graphics card/towel radiator, an Antec 1300W power supply, and the system ran Microsoft Windows XP. Surpassing 7GHz with Skylake is impressive but world's fastest clocked processor record goes to the AMD FX-8370 which has been pushed as high as 8.723GHz.

While i am impressed by it. One thing bothers me about overclocking records. They all do it with all but one core disabled. I would like oc records require stock features reasonably work as against strip it down until you've missed the point of the design.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

13 minutes ago, linuxfan66 said:

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/90362-intel-skylake-overclock-record-702566mhz-achieved/

While i am impressed by it. One thing bothers me about overclocking records. They all do it with all but one core disabled. I would like oc records require stock features reasonably work as against strip it down until you've missed the point of the design.

I'm with you on this.

It's all about the max frequency with this record though, doesn't matter how many cores etc, just about how far you can possibly push the CPU.

If you want to see how fast these puppies can go under 4 core 8 thread conditions, check out the categories for benchmarks on HWBOT, such as hwbot prime / cinebench R15.

http://hwbot.org/submission/3106577_rsannino_hwbot_prime_core_i7_6700k_7840.34_pps

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

So, it's like that one kid on speed running a marathon; however you want him to do more and OD?  You're sick!/jk

Ya, it just means they don't want to deal with thermal throttling.  Plus, aren't these like those AMD people who like just upright poor liquid nitrogen onto that?

Yes... That's how extreme overclocking works lol.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

So, it's like that one kid on speed running a marathon; however you want him to do more and OD?  You're sick!/jk

Ya, it just means they don't want to deal with thermal throttling.  Plus, aren't these like those AMD people who like just upright poor liquid nitrogen onto that?

As I understand yes they are basically pouring it in...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

1 minute ago, linuxfan66 said:

As I understand yes they are basically pouring it in...

Yes, a giant copper container is mounted onto the CPU, and the Ln2 is poured into it, thus cooling the container down & CPU as well. I believe some are half copper half aluminum, some are other materials, but 99% of the time it's copper.

Here's one without insulation, just for photos basically to show what goes on:

8ECC_der8auer_Beast_Pot_6-pcgh.jpg

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Figured.

Basically what Lays says below.

Also, when did the 8370 beat the 8150's 8 record by over .5ghz?  It's mentioned in the linked article in linux's op.  I mean I get they do these for the interest, but I doubt there'd be much stability in actual application.

There is stability in actual application, just not at quite as high frequencies.

IE: record on 1 / 2 core like this one was set at 7 Ghz, you may actually see stable 4 core 4 thread or 4 core 8 thread operation on the same CPU at ~6.5-6.7 Ghz depending on the bench maybe slightly lower.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I meant like if you're actually trying to get work done rendering a video in 4k all day long or gaming.  Unless you a monkey, I don't think you're gunna be pouring liquid nitrogen into that thing with your feet.

Hire someone to do it for you

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I meant like if you're actually trying to get work done rendering a video in 4k all day long or gaming.  Unless you a monkey, I don't think you're gunna be pouring liquid nitrogen into that thing with your feet.

The performance yield for cost would make a multicomputer mini render farm cheaper

What is the point of these EXTREME CPU overclockings ? 

Ok, they've hit 8GHz, so what? What are the benefits for consumers or even enthusiasts or professionals???

WTF is going on with this world?

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

9 minutes ago, Tic-Tac said:

Ok, they've hit 8GHz, so what? What are the benefits for consumers or even enthusiasts or professionals???

It's that "they can do it"

You get more performance than a stock.

Would you say no to free performance? Ofc it's not free like it consumes more power and liquid nitrogen and shitty you have to pour the ln all the time.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Yes I get that but WTF?! I can't seem to comprehend all that EEEEEXTREEEEEEMEEEEEE bulls*it, not to mention ONE-TIME EXTREME as in this case. 

And guess what will happen next ? Some Asian smartas* will put a PR line on their new line of motherboards like : "ON OUR SUPER FORMULA MOTHER OF GOD EXTREME MOTHERBOARD WAS SET A NEW SKYLAKE OVERCLOCKING WORLD RECORD!!!!!! WE'RE SO PROUD OF OUR NEW ULTRA GOD-MADE GAMER MOTHERBOARD!!!" because they strongly believe that gamers are just some stupid kids with their parent's money who will bite on this PR nonsense and of course buy their new ultra gimmick mediocre motherboard. 

This is just my  2 céntimos in technicolor to say that all this is just a pretty stupid PR attempt on everyone's wallets in the future, just remember  all this when you see some "gaming" motherboard next year ;)

Pouring a liquid nitrogen just to be "cool".... My GOD, that's so f*cking stupid money wasting.....

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

That's why I don't care about OC records, it doesn't translate into performance, if they could run at least one benchmark, it would make a bit more sense to me.

53 minutes ago, Tic-Tac said:

Yes I get that but WTF?! I can't seem to comprehend all that EEEEEXTREEEEEEMEEEEEE bulls*it, not to mention ONE-TIME EXTREME as in this case. 

And guess what will happen next ? Some Asian smartas* will put a PR line on their new line of motherboards like : "ON OUR SUPER FORMULA MOTHER OF GOD EXTREME MOTHERBOARD WAS SET A NEW SKYLAKE OVERCLOCKING WORLD RECORD!!!!!! WE'RE SO PROUD OF OUR NEW ULTRA GOD-MADE GAMER MOTHERBOARD!!!" because they strongly believe that gamers are just some stupid kids with their parent's money who will bite on this PR nonsense and of course buy their new ultra gimmick mediocre motherboard. 

This is just my  2 céntimos in technicolor to say that all this is just a pretty stupid PR attempt on everyone's wallets in the future, just remember  all this when you see some "gaming" motherboard next year ;)

Pouring a liquid nitrogen just to be "cool".... My GOD, that's so f*cking stupid money wasting.....

To be fair, there have been way more records set on OC Formula boards than any other boards that I have seen. It's seriously the go-to overclocking board when you want to push things beyond any preconceived limit. So if ASRock advertises the OC Formula as the "SUPER ULTRA EXTREME OVERCOCKING MOTHERBOARD", then it's not exactly false advertisement.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 hours ago, linuxfan66 said:

Snip

Could you fix quote font colour for night theme users.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

3 hours ago, Tic-Tac said:

It is about pushing the boundaries of technology, like going to the moon. It might of never directly affect you (as in you being able to go to space). but the small stuff that help them achieve it like DD40 is what better man kind. so when these competitions find a better MOBO design to OC a chip it helps you by having an MOBO on the market that can OC more reliably even if you are not pushing it too these limits. if you think this extreme overclocking is not impotent then overclock is general shouldn't be.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

7ghz is impressive. Im with op on this. I always wondered why they dalways do 1 core. I know its for stability, but someone like me wants to see all cores and possibly hyper threading. 

17 hours ago, linuxfan66 said:

I cant be impressed by useless records like this. It's about as useful as the most inflated tires record.

17 hours ago, Lays said:

Yes, a giant copper container is mounted onto the CPU, and the Ln2 is poured into it, thus cooling the container down & CPU as well. I believe some are half copper half aluminum, some are other materials, but 99% of the time it's copper.

Here's one without insulation, just for photos basically to show what goes on:

8ECC_der8auer_Beast_Pot_6-pcgh.jpg

What evaporation pot is that? I may even try out extreme overclocking with dry ice and alcohol someday with an i7-6700K.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

4 hours ago, JurunceNK said:

What evaporation pot is that? I may even try out extreme overclocking with dry ice and alcohol someday with an i7-6700K.

8ecc der8auer "beast" pot, it's like made to order only and 500 euro lol. (Not worth it really)

Kingpincooling is cheaper and just as good.

21 hours ago, Tic-Tac said:

Its a world record. WRs dont have use for anyone, they are made to push boundaries. 

All of those who look for a reasonable ordinary life use for world records obviously dont understand the point of them...

Just think a little.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

15 hours ago, corsairian said:

7ghz is impressive. Im with op on this. I always wondered why they dalways do 1 core. I know its for stability, but someone like me wants to see all cores and possibly hyper threading. 

One reason I can think of better core binning. Not all cores are made equally, just like how not all chips are made equally. It's easier on the overclocker's wallet if they're just looking for one golden core, rather than look for a chip containing 4 golden cores.

And that this competition is all about frequency. Higher is better here, there's no point in having all 4 cores active.

9 hours ago, Lays said:

8ecc der8auer "beast" pot, it's like made to order only and 500 euro lol. (Not worth it really)

Kingpincooling is cheaper and just as good.

Ah. I was also thinking about getting the EK SF3D Inflection CPU evaporation pot and maybe the SF3D Critical Point for some GPU overclocking with isopropyl alcohol and dry ice.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

On 2/10/2016 at 1:31 PM, Tic-Tac said:

What is the point of the Formula 1? Those cars are never going to benefit consumers, enthusiasts or professionals. For that matter what's the point of world records in general? It's entertainment.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W