Watch out Intel, here comes Apple's A9X!

DocSwag

A recent review of the iPad Pro shows Apple's A9X Chip challenging Intel's Core M lineup.

As well, here is an article from ExtremeTech with a bit more information http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/221881-apples-a9x-goes-head-to-head-against-intels-core-m-in-arm-x86-grudge-match

Most of you have probably heard about the iPad Pro that Apple launched not too long ago (if you hadn't your cave must be quite cozy). As we all knew Apple's A9X Chip had incredible performance for a mobile CPU. Anandtech has gone ahead and reviewed the iPad Pro, and along with it checked out a comparison of the A9X vs. the Intel Core M lineup.

As this is a fairly dense lineup I’m not going to call out every figure, but let’s focus on a few key areas. First, on A9X versus the Core M-5Y31 (MacBook), the advantage flips between each device as each test hits upon different strengths and weaknesses of each CPU’s architecture. Overall each device wins half of the benchmarks, however the Core M powered MacBook wins by a larger average margin. In other words, the iPad Pro is competitive with the MacBook depending on the test, however on average it ends up trailing in performance.

The A9X can obviously fight against the Broadwell Core Ms, though it seems the Core M still beats the A9X by a small margin. However, this is still something of note. As well, the A9X seems to use less than 5 watts of power.

It’s evident from this test and some back of the envelope calculation that total device TDP excluding display power is roughly 5W, which is about right given the size of the device. This suggests that the A9X can be directly compared to Intel’s Core M in both performance and power, for better or for worse. 

The A9X seems to trail the Broadwell low-end Core Ms by a small amount, and trails higher end Core Ms as well as Skylake Core Ms by a greater amount, but this is definitely something we should notice. Apple has been improving IPC by quite a lot in recent years, while Intel has only been improving it by about 5-10% each year. A few years ago Apple SOCs were nowhere near Intel CPU IPC, but now this has changed considerably. The A9X is already coming quite close to Intel, and it is quite possible that the SOC going into the iPhone 7 and iPad Air 4 could be on par with Intel Core Ms. The generation after that, Apple could potentially start having their SOCs have higher IPC than Intel ones. If this happens, it is possible Apple could swap out their Macbook CPU for a A10X or A11X. It is not likely they will replace Macbook Air or Macbook Pro CPUs, but it is possible the Macbook could get an upgrade.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

good luck on running x86 on that thing

Intel has already secured it's position in the 80s

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I could see future macbooks using an Apple design.  Apple is poised to become a low-wattage cpu competitor, which is exciting.

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

Sigh... Can people not keep doing this ARM vs x86 comparisons? They don't work.

Also Core M is super variable on manufacturer, Apple is known to do stupid ass shit resulting in really poopy load performance on their laptops.

Plus -U is a huge jump up from core M.

5W TDP isn't very impressive considering that's on the same configuration level as the i5 U series...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Also Core M is super variable on manufacturer, Apple is known to do stupid ass shit resulting in really poopy load performance on their laptops.

5W TDP isn't very impressive considering that's on the same configuration level as the i5 U series...

U is supposed to be the 15 watt chips. Core M is the 4.5 Watt ones.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

"watch out intel"

lol that statement is as laughable as 

"source from WCCFTECH"

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

"watch out intel"

lol that statement is as laughable as 

"source from WCCFTECH"

It is possible that if Apple decided to use its own CPU in the Macbook Intel would pay them to not do that. Intel probably has too many resources to let Apple do that, though you never know.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

It is possible that if Apple decided to use its own CPU in the Macbook Intel would pay them to not do that. Intel probably has too many resources to let Apple do that, though you never know.

if google is ready to pay 1b for a search engine

you bet intel will pay for that cpu

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

With the iPad Pro, Apple has created a tablet with more power than ever before. But there's no magic or witchcraft to this feat; it just made a bigger tablet. The larger the object, the more room to dissipate heat, and the more space for a bigger battery. It's basic physics, and the iPad Pro takes full advantage. It contains a 38.5Wh battery. That's 40 percent larger than the battery inside the iPad Air 2, and about the same as the company's 11-inch MacBook Air and 12-inch MacBook, not to mention Microsoft's Surface Pro 4.

It's often vaunted that ARM-based chips are more power efficient than those based on Intel's x86. That's just not true. ARM and x86 are simply instruction sets (RISC and CISC, respectively). There's nothing about either set that makes one or the other more efficient. And despite ARM chips like Apple's typically being ultra-low power, the A9X is clearly not. Its performance on various sites' battery tests show comparable endurance to the 12-inch MacBook. Ars Technica's 200 nits WiFi browsing test, for example, shows the iPad Pro lasting three hours less than a MacBook. A WebGL test from the same site shows the iPad Pro outlasting the MacBook by two and a half hours. Of course, the iPad Pro's screen is slightly larger and denser than the MacBook's, and the two run completely different operating systems. The point isn't to discern which is more efficient, but merely to say they have similar battery sizes, similar endurance, and therefore similar efficiency.

But what of the benchmark tests that show the iPad Pro outperforming Intel's Core M processor, and even coming close to Intel's MacBook Pro range? Don't believe them. Patrick Moorhead, a highly respected analyst with a strong background in chips, urges caution, especially when it comes to comparing GeekBench numbers, as many have. "GeekBench is a synthetic, mobile benchmark," Moorhead tells Engadget. "The benchmark code is more like mobile application code than it is desktop code." Using GeekBench to test A9X versus Intel chips is "like comparing apples and oranges or an SUV with a sedan on the straight-away," he explains.

One area where the A9X has advanced massively over previous Apple chips is in graphics performance. "This has nothing to do with ARM and everything to do with PowerVR and Apple's implementation of PowerVR's IP," Moorhead clarifies. Imagination Technologies (that makes PowerVR) is a chip and graphics company that develops architectures and licenses its IP out to many manufacturers. It's not ARM; it's not x86. Intel licenses PowerVR tech, and straight-up features PowerVR designs in its Atom line.

What Apple has done, then, is create a powerful tablet chip, one with a processor that addresses the ARM instruction set and a graphics component that utilizes PowerVR technology. It's not a leap forward, and it's not out of nowhere; it behaves and performs exactly as a chip with as high a clock rate and as large a power draw as the A9X should do.

The idea that Macs could be running ARM chips has been around for a long time. Microsoft launched Windows RT, a version of its OS that works with ARM chips, because it wanted manufacturers to create devices that could compete with the iPad. It didn't work, mostly because of Window's reliance on legacy applications, but also because Intel started taking its low-power programs more seriously, and poured money into them. Its chips caught up fast. All the low-power Surfaces now use Intel x86 chips, rather than the Nvidia ARM chips they launched with.

Also , there were rumours that Intel almost managed to convince Apple to put an Intel CPU in their iPad Pro.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

"watch out Intel"

so misleading

cause Intel can be taken down 

lmfao

you wot?

unless they run a spyware on the chip why would they muni to apple for them to use Intel chips

google on the otherhand get's their spyware running on ios, how would Intel benefit? unless marketing.... I guess I can imagine some add for a prebuilt going like - "With a Mac DNA" // "Intel inside, same chip that powers Mac" or smbllcrpp like that

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Doesn't matter, they processors will still be in apple products, which always cost WAY more than something with a Core M equivalent should cost. 

Are the A series CPUs Unix compatable? That's what makes modern Mac processors so great.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

"watch out Intel"

so misleading

cause Intel can be taken down 

lmfao

Lets say Apple develops an ARM compatible version of OSX.  Then they can use their own CPU designs.  Intel then loses business from Apple, who is kind of a big player in the computer world.

It's not that far fetched.

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

Except they will need to use an x86-64 CPU , and other than using a CPU from AMD , which at the current time makes no sense whatsoever , they will obviously need to get a license. Otherwise , using an ARM CPU on macbook pros , on actual productivity machines? It would be a disaster. Still , people would still buy them , since we're talking about Apple here . On just a Macbook? Maybe...? But then, the Macbook would be just an iPad Pro with a really nice keyboard so I don't see the point. Also, they would have to port OS X  to ARM , which would be a lot of hassle.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Lets say Apple develops an ARM compatible version of OSX.  Then they can use their own CPU designs.  Intel then loses business from Apple, who is kind of a big player in the computer world.

remember all the programs that would have to switch over from x86 

Its not reasonable to think that would happen.

I think we'd rather see an iPad with an Intel SoC before a Macbook with an ARM SoC.

U is supposed to be the 15 watt chips. Core M is the 4.5 Watt ones.

That isn't actually true.

1. Only the i7 comes close to 15W in practice

http://ark.intel.com/products/88192/Intel-Core-i7-6600U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

2. Many -U processors ship with down-configured parts (all -U can be tuned as low as 7.5W or lower), and none ship with up-configured parts

3. While the entire lineup claims the "15W TDP", it should be brutally apparent that if a 3.4 GHz Turbo part resides within that TDP then a 2.3 Ghz i3-6100U comes NO WHERE CLOSE to that power consumption. This is the same issue as how all non-k i3/i5/i7 bskylakes are listed at 65W even though the actual power consumption for the parts vary wildly (with even a 6700 rarely touching the 65W envelop under "100% load").

http://ark.intel.com/products/88180/Intel-Core-i3-6100U-Processor-3M-Cache-2_30-GHz

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

remember all the programs that would have to switch over from x86 

Its not reasonable to think that would happen.

I don't disagree, but I would say that a potential low end macbook could get by using the App Store, with the higher end models retaining core m.  Pretty much just an iPad pro with a permanent keyboard and proper file explorer.

LOL -Intel

Either way, the A9X being almost equal to a Core M would be somewhat impressive if the Apple chips used less power, but since its the almost the same TDP as a Core M then is not impressive at all.

Except they will need to use an x86-64 CPU , and other than using a CPU from AMD , which at the current time makes no sense whatsoever , they will obviously need to get a license. Otherwise , using an ARM CPU on macbook pros , on actual productivity machines? It would be a disaster. Still , people would still buy them , since we're talking about Apple here . On just a Macbook? Maybe...? But then, the Macbook would be just an iPad Pro with a really nice keyboard so I don't see the point. Also, they would have to port OS X  to ARM , which would be a lot of hassle.

Well they went through the trouble of porting OS X to x86 from IBM's chip design (which i can't remember the name of) so they if they are very serious about switching to their own ARM designs, they will go through all that problem again.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

If you even bothered to read the article, you'd know that they both ran the same test using the same instruction set.

Moving on, our other lower-level benchmark for this review is SPECint2006. Developed by the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation, SPECint2006 is the integer component of their larger SPEC CPU 2006 benchmark. As was the case with SPEC CPU 2000 before it, SPEC CPU 2006 is designed by a committee of technology firms to offer a consistent and meaningful cross-platform benchmark that can compare systems of different performance levels and architectures. Among cross-platform benchmarks SPEC CPU is generally held in high regard, and while it is but one collection of benchmarks and like all benchmarks should not be taken as the be-all end-all of benchmarks on its own, it provides us with a very important look at CPU performance that we otherwise cannot get.

SPECint2006 is the successor to the SPECint2000 test we’ve been using periodically for the last couple of years now. Initially released in 2006, SPECint2006 is still SPEC’s current-generation CPU integer benchmark. We’ve wanted to switch to SPECint2006 for some time now, but have been held back by the overall low performance of tablet SoCs, which lacked the speed and memory to run SPECint2006 and to do so in a reasonable amount of time. However now thanks to the greater performance and greater memory of A9X, we’re finally able to run SPEC’s current-generation CPU benchmark on a tablet.

SPECint2006 is composed of 12 sub-benchmarks, testing a wide variety of scenarios from video compression to PERL execution to AI. This is a non-graphical benchmark and I believe it’s reasonable to argue that the benchmark set itself leans towards server high performance computing/workstation use cases, but with that said even if it’s not a perfect fit for tablet use cases it offers a lot of real-world tests that give us a good variety of different workloads to benchmark CPUs with. SPECint2006 scores are in turn reported as a ratio, measuring how many times faster a tested system is against the SPEC reference system, a 1997 Sun Ultrasparc Ultra Enterprise 2 server, which is based around a 296 MHz UltraSPARC II CPU.

They also compared A9x to 2 zenbooks, a broadwell and a skylake one. Core U is a 15w top chip and core m is a 4.5w "overclockable" to 6w.

Edit: I should also note that Turbo speeds are never meant to be sustained. IIRC intel once said that you should only see turbo speeds if the right conditions are met-available tdp and power for short periods of time.

LOL -Intel

Either way, the A9X being almost equal to a Core M would be somewhat impressive if the Apple chips used less power, but since its the almost the same TDP as a Core M then is not impressive at all.

Well they went through the trouble of porting OS X to x86 from IBM's chip design (which i can't remember the name of) so they if they are very serious about switching to their own ARM designs, they will go through all that problem again.

Tdp is a measurement of heat output.

No it isn't...

Jesus

If you even bothered to read the article, you'd know that they both ran the same test using the same instruction set.

And hence all the cases where x86 optimized code was present it obliterated, and the other cases ARM squeaked wins... AKA still an flaws of x86 vs ARM article...

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Apple will not use ARM based SoC's in their next macbooks , simply because of how OSX runs on x86 , and making a custom ARM version would either require making a totally new OS for macbooks , or split the market in half and have windows RT all over again.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Yes , but TDP is often synonymous with power consumption

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case