Watch out Intel, here comes Apple's A9X!

DocSwag

Then explain it to me. TDP is measured in watts, which is a measurement of energy. In this case, that measurement is thermal energy being emitted.

Also: http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/cosmic_classroom/light_lessons/thermal/differ.html

See edit. Linus says the exact same thing in his techquickie video around 1:30-2:00.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

See edit. Linus says the exact same thing in his techquickie video around 1:30-2:00.

Though to be fair, differing methodologies exist when measuring TDP, but the intention of TDP is what I stated - to measure the HEAT OUTPUT of a component in watts. It is the amount of heat in watts that the component is required to dissipate. That is the intention of TDP, but again, methodologies differ among both Intel and AMD. The TDP can also be underestimated in computer hardware.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'm not forgetting it at all. Most apps were already being made for x86 because of Windows. That's not the case with arm.

Actually that's not the issue, you're talking about making 2 motherboards for 1 product.

I would say that there's quite a library of apps for a potential arm-powered macbook in the app store.

If the R&D cost is so high, why did they design and build the macbook last year?  It uses a new form factor for its motherboard, and a new-to-apple cpu.  I'm confused on what you're trying to say with this point.  

Again, I'm not suggesting that Apple becomes an real competitor to Intel overnight.  But looking at the progress they've made recently, it's exciting to think of what they might come up with in the future.  Could you imaging if Apple acquires an x86 license?  That would be very exciting.

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

isn't the A9X running on smaller transistors than the CoreM?

No A9X is actually running on larger ones. The A9X is running on TSMC 16 nm FinFET, while the Core M is running on 14 nm FinFET. Also Intel's manufacturing process lets them put more transistors on a given space. The Core M has marginally smaller transistors but has quite a bit higher transistor density.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

All these replies are so cliche. Every Time apple's about to do something there will be companies and haters claiming Apple will never achieve what they're planning to do and yet fastforward 2 years and they're having a grand success. There's pretty much nothing to see here except the slope of the CPU performance improvement generation over generation on specifically Apple chips and Intel chips (who we all know are facing difficulties these days in PC chips especially considering that they have PC's no longer in their priority list)

If it was any other companies they can keep dreaming, but since it's apple it's a whole different story and they will take the biggest risk in order to move forward

Apple already has shitty marketshares in the PC market, guess how low it would go if they did that? Suddenly every app ever made for OSX dont work and have to be significantly modified to take become compatible with arm processors. If they did that, they might as well just close their PC division and let Microsoft run free without competition.

Actually they have a pretty good share if you look at the market share properly. Only 10% have upgraded to Windows 10 meaning only home users and few percentage of professionals upgraded to Windows 10 after Microsoft's rigorous upgrade promo  while Windows 7 users (which we all know are business users) still hold the majority. So if you look in that context Apple does have a pretty decent market share and add to the fact that Mac shipments increases year over year while PC shipments are declining

I'm not saying apple will take over PC's but they do have a significant presence in the market so you shouldn't treat them lightly especially considering they have that fruit logo who has pretty much the biggest history of disrupting and evolving the market no matter how much you people refuse to believe it

Great. Will putting their own CPU in their products jack up the price tags on their already overpriced turds?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

"Here at apple, we revolutionised the work environment by advertising an over sized I-pad as a competitor to the surface pro, even though it can't run any useful programs like the surface pro, but we don't care, because our I-sheeple will think it's the best thing for productivity ever made- think about how quickly you can add those Instagram filters!"

Pretty much the reply I was anticipating. Is iPad Pro a surface competitor right now, no definitely not. But i do have reason to believe that it will eventually be as Apple's plan with iOS is pretty obvious now that the Pro has come out unlike microsoft who downgraded their only useful product

Seriously, apple haven't done anything special that's actually useful. The I-pad pro is a waste of time, the macbook's are just overpriced laptop's that are only powerful enough to do basic tasks, and the Mac Pro's are just overly expensive workstations... You only buy apple for the looks, not for their performance. I reckon that the majority of Mac Pro users don't even utilize their full power and have more money than sense.

What?

Sure the iPad pro still only runs iOS but its still a great device for people in the iOS eco system, with multitasking, the amazing apple pencil too , which is up there with the best of the digital styluses IMO

Its also one of the most powerfully tablets (aside from the surface pro) and insanely fast thanks to NVMe

Macbooks? sure the 12" macbook is only basic, but a 15" retina pro is a perfectly capable machine, sure its not for gaming, but is a very powerful machine overall with amazing display, battery life and performance, 

The Mac Pro is also very powerful, and for people who use, rely and prefer OSX its an extremely good machine for editing 4k and all the other stuff mac pros are used for

They are not just bought "for the looks" - some people WANT or NEED to use iOS and OSX - so they have less choice in hardware, but the Modern macs are still not shit

its not like they are running Atoms or celerons in their pro products 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You're limited by the apps available in the app store, which is a shame

Sure, all 1.5 million apps.. oh  no!!, also it now has full Microsoft office, and the Adobe suite is improving for iPad pro too, that should cover like 50% of pro users, photographers, artists, architects, office workers, etc etc etc

Just like on my Windows PC I can only use software available for windows... I cannot run my iOS apps on there

If people make more capable software for iOS it doesnt matter that its through an app store, software is software, it either does the job, or it doesnt

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It still doesn't have a wide a variety as the Surface pro. 

Possibly not, but at least the software is optimised for tablet use

Using Windows on a touch screen is NOT a great experience (I have a windows 10 tablet, and an iPad, and android devices too)

I much prefer using my iPad, sure I can run very powerful software on my windows tablet, but from a usability standpoint I find it fiddely and annoying, and I actually hate the ergonomics of the surface pro, the surface book is a much improved design  

Possibly not, but at least the software is optimised for tablet use

Using Windows on a touch screen is NOT a great experience (I have a windows 10 tablet, and an iPad, and android devices too)

I much prefer using my iPad, sure I can run very powerful software on my windows tablet, but from a usability standpoint I find it fiddely and annoying, and I actually hate the ergonomics of the surface pro, the surface book is a much improved design  

You can't do something like , let's say , walk around with a tablet and edit your video.

At least not if you're a real professional.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

You can't do something like , let's say , walk around with a tablet and edit your video.

At least not if you're a real professional.

huh? what are you talking about?

"not if you are a real professional" .... my boss walks around with an iPad, uses it for presentations, and making documents

lots of photographers use them to edit photos on the go for uploading quickly to blogs, social media etc, they can also be great for editing video when travelling very quickly

the "traditional" professional does not always apply to modern life, this iPad (and tablets like the surface) fit in with modern life and the modern ways people work, 

For example, you could use Parrallels to run OSX and Windows on your ipad, or a travelling salesman could use Office 365 to make documents and collaborate with his colleagues 

An architect might use the iPad pro for sketching and drawing, or perhaps a car or fashion designed for drawing up sketches etc

There is even Autodesk 360 for creating and editing intricate 3d CAD designs 

Dont tell me a tablet (or iPAD) cannot be used for professional purposes 

huh? what are you talking about?

"not if you are a real professional" .... my boss walks around with an iPad, uses it for presentations, and making documents

lots of photographers use them to edit photos on the go for uploading quickly to blogs, social media etc, they can also be great for editing video when travelling very quickly

the "traditional" professional does not always apply to modern life, this iPad (and tablets like the surface) fit in with modern life and the modern ways people work, 

For example, you could use Parrallels to run OSX and Windows on your ipad, or a travelling salesman could use Office 365 to make documents and collaborate with his colleagues 

An architect might use the iPad pro for sketching and drawing, or perhaps a car or fashion designed for drawing up sketches etc

There is even Autodesk 360 for creating and editing intricate 3d CAD designs 

Dont tell me a tablet (or iPAD) cannot be used for professional purposes 

I was talking about professional video editing in my example.

Still , the iPad Pro is...just a bigger iPad. Everything you can do on it you can do on the iPad Air as well.

I don't know who would buy it honestly, and I have no idea why Apple called it "Pro".

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I was talking about professional video editing in my example.

Still , the iPad Pro is...just a bigger iPad. Everything you can do on it you can do on the iPad Air as well.

I don't know who would buy it honestly, and I have no idea why Apple called it "Pro".

Why? What is a "professional video editor" there are some really good tools for editing video on the iPad, with Creative Cloud and other software its perfectly possible to create professional videos

Will this be used to make hollywood movies? well .. no (possible could do small parts) but for say, somebody like Linus? a small film maker? youtubers, vimeo etc an ipad would do a great job

This video was shot, editing and colour graded including special effects, All made on an iPhone

"its just a bigger ipad" .. well a PC is just a bigger netbook, - its a tool it does a job, its called "pro" because it fits apples naming scheme, its a bigger more powerful version

is the Macbook 12" not capable of being used in a professional capacity because it is not called pro? im sure tons of manangers and company CEOs might use one for work,

For somebody who wants or needs to use an iPad, the iPad pro makes sense with its improved display, better performance, better sound, Apple pencil support, and overall larger size with multitasking 

Compared to the other iPads, it would be considered a more professional product aimed more at productivity than consumption though obviously either can (and are) used for either task

Why? What is a "professional video editor" there are some really good tools for editing video on the iPad

This video was shot, editing and colour graded including special effects, All made on an iPhone

Could Taran do all of the video editing on the LMG just on an iPad Pro , for example?

Could Taran do all of the video editing on the LMG just on an iPad Pro , for example?

Quite possibly

For my next YouTube review, maybe I will edit the whole thing on my iPad

I think editing it on an iPad Pro would be akin to walking to China. Sure, it's possible and presumably given enough time I could do it but boy would it suck and I would hate myself for trying every step of the way.

I think editing it on an iPad Pro would be akin to walking to China. Sure, it's possible and presumably given enough time I could do it but boy would it suck and I would hate myself for trying every step of the way.

I dunno why people think its hard or not possible to edit on an iPad

Sure its not going to replace Adobe Premiere or After effects but the editing MOST people do, even pros, it works fine

Sigh... Can people not keep doing this ARM vs x86 comparisons? They don't work.

They work perfectly fine, I recommend you read the review from anandtech. 

if they are really going to go making claims that the core m is in that much trouble they need to lock the thing at the same speed and the a9x, it needs to be a clock to clock challenge to establish how much of an IPC gain apple has really made.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

if they are really going to go making claims that the core m is in that much trouble they need to lock the thing at the same speed and the a9x, it needs to be a clock to clock challenge to establish how much of an IPC gain apple has really made.

Who's making that claim? OP? 

A clock for clock comparison only make sense if you are comparing, for example, an intel sandy-bridge to a skylake processor.

I dunno why people think its hard or not possible to edit on an iPad

Sure its not going to replace Adobe Premiere or After effects but the editing MOST people do, even pros, it works fine

For people with large workloads an iPad just isn't practical. Sure it can edit 4K video, and has many apps to support it, but you have to remember a few things

1. It doesn't even have a trackpad! For most people it isn't practical to type on the keyboard and then go touch the screen every single time. Usually it's better just to type then go for the trackpad.

2. If you have a doc or vid on a flash drive, it is WAY too difficult to get it to be used on the iPad. Accessing it by plugging it in is pretty difficult, so it might be better to upload to the cloud then download it back, which can be time consuming.

3. It just doesn't support as many apps as a full OS. Sure there is good office support and a few companies make decent video editing apps, but stuff like Adobe Premier don't have all their features on the iOS version.

Also on a side note. You mentioned the iPad Pro has fast storage, and yes it does, but only compared to a mobile device. Many higher end laptops easily have better storage (the MacBook Pro and the surface pro 4 and surface book for example)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

SNIP

All valid points, I would never say the iPad is THE device to get for those purposes

I was just trying to explain how it COULD be used,  - I do not think of the iPad as a PC replacement, I would never make that argument, but as a supplementary device it can do many of the tasks people do on a daily basis, and even a few more powerful tasks

I take mine in my camera bag for on the go editing, I just connect my sd card to it, or transfer by wifi and I can edit photos and video on the road

I forgot about the Laptop Macbook Pro's, my mistake. Don't know much about them. Yes, the Mac Pro's are powerful machines, but generally in my experience, the people who own them have more money than sense and don't understand what it is they're using. I know 3 people who own a Mac Pro, they only use them for browsing the web. I'm sure there are people out there who do use them to their full potential though. The problem with the I-pad pro is that yes, it has super fast storage, yes it has a great pen, but you have no good programs to use them with. You're limited by the apps available in the app store, which is a shame. You're right about people buying them for OSX, however I think the vast majority of people who buy apple products buy them for the looks and know little about what's inside.

The situation that the ipad pro is in is exactly what one would want- create a product that is capable of much more than what is currently available and let the incredible developers find use cases for it. Let's say that one day AMD released a cpu or gpu that is so much faster than the current products (say 2 or 3 times faster) but priced about 40% more, would you complain that it's not a good product simply because nothing can take full advantage of it?

Edit : in hindsight that was a bad example lol