will my Skylake CPU die with DDR3?

hey guys, i recently got myself a prebuilt system(i know its dumb but the price was insane) and i went with the new Skylake CPU-s. The mobo is some cheap stuff but i thought its going to perform ok until i get some cooler stuff.

Now, i just saw Linus's video(@NCIX) about Skylake not supporting DDR3, only DDR3L and DDR4. I checked my ram and it is DDR3 and i got a little scared. I also checked the mobo specs and it doesn't even support DDR4 which i find really weird.

Specs:

CPU i5-6400

MB AsRock H110M-DVS/D3

My question would be what can i do to not kill my CPU, i'm open to any suggestions.

DDR3 is supported by Skylake, as motherboard manufacturers have proven. Your motherboard explicitly states that it has support for DDR3.

- Dual Channel DDR3/DDR3L Memory Technology
- 2 x DDR3/DDR3L DIMM Slots
- Supports DDR3/DDR3L 1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Supports ECC UDIMM memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)
- Max. capacity of system memory: 32GB*
- Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) 1.3 / 1.2

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Skylake is compatible with DDR3, there are some Skylake boards with them but I wouldn't run it with the chip. DDR3L is 1.35v but DDR3 ranges between 1.5 and 1.65v which I think degrades the IMC.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge of this will correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Not sure how accurate this site is but could be worth a read.

http://www.eteknix.com/intel-admits-ddr3-ram-can-damage-skylake-processors/

Personally mate I'd probably look into getting DDR3L, not sure if DDR3 and DDR3L have the keys in different locations because I haven't looked into it but if they are the same then save yourself some shit and go with DDR3L.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

@FireFox yeap, that is my concerne, that's why i asked you guys if you know any ways to fix this without changing the mobo, lowering the voltage or something

@FireFox yeap, that is my concerne, that's why i asked you guys if you know any ways to fix this without changing the mobo, lowering the voltage or something

@FireFox

DDR3 voltages have no issues with Skylake.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I can ease your concern. vDIMM alone is not going to kill a CPU. That voltage does not impact the CPU at all. It is supplied by the board, to the memory itself. The reason Intel released this warning concerning DDR3, is because loading DDR3 XMP profiles might cause too much VCCIO (The voltage that goes in and out of the IMC) and VCCSA (The IMC and PCIE subdomain voltage) to be supplied, potentially frying the IMC on your CPU.

To avoid this, manually input your voltage values. Default Skylake VCCIO is 0.950, and VCCSA is 1.0. It has been said that 1.25v of each is perfectly safe for 24/7 use, but i personally do not use more than 1.15v of each. You can look for timings such as tRDRD_SG/DG (and other timings similar to this, like tWRWR_SG/DG) and loosen them to take less stress off your IMC, thus reducing the amount of VCCIO/SA voltages you will need to keep the ram running stable.

If all of this seems too scary for you, then manually input 1.35v, drop the ram down to 1333 or 1600mhz CL7-9, and treat it like it is DDR3L. Either way, be very careful with those default XMP profiles.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

@FireFox

yes they do

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yes they do

Sorry, but that video is wrong, for the reasons i stated above in my post. If vDIMM killed the IMC, then HWBOT would have been the first to break that news, as they have been running 2.1v on DDR4 since Skylake first came out. 

you can buy lower voltage ddr3..it is a concern according to intel...it can damage the cpu over time

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600000279%20600006050%20600006069&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=90

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Sorry, but that video is wrong, for the reasons i stated above in my post. If vDIMM killed the IMC, then HWBOT would have been the first to break that news, as they have been running 2.1v on DDR4 since Skylake first came out. 

Anyone else noting Linus is wrong, a lot? Especially when it comes to RAM?

I was going to tag you big man, but glad to see you were already here.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

they never said anything about "kill" in that video...if you even bothered to watch it

Linus said it degrades the controller much faster resulting in reduced life span

And who is running 2.1v on their memory?? wtf?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Anyone else noting Linus is wrong, a lot? Especially when it comes to RAM?

I was going to tag you big man, but glad to see you were already here.

linus doesn't know everything...heck he doesn't even compare to some of the people on the forum (including me)

@FireFox

Some do. DDR3L is rated at 1.35V, which is standard for DDR4, but 1.65V is standard for DDR3. This voltage is a lot higher than 1.35. Some Extreme DDR3 even push up into the 1.75V barrier, nearing DDR2 volts.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

they never said anything about "kill" in that video...if you even bothered to watch it

Linus said it degrades the controller much faster resulting in reduced life span

@Lays has run 2.25V on DDR3 (G.Skill Trident X)

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

linus doesn't know everything...heck he doesn't even compare to some of the people on the forum (including me)

I get that, then don't make videos about things you know little about. My only point to make.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Some do. DDR3L is rated at 1.35V, which is standard for DDR4, but 1.65V is standard for DDR3. This voltage is a lot higher than 1.35. Some Extreme DDR3 even push up into the 1.75V barrier, nearing DDR2 volts.

1.5v is standard for ddr3

Read @MageTank post above.

And ddr4 standard is 1.2-1.35v, and ddr3 standard is1.5-1.65, just to correct you.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

@Lays has run 2.25V on DDR3 (G.Skill Trident X)

continuously 24/7 for daily use?

or for a couple minutes to see what the highest overclock possible he could get was?

obviously you dont know the difference do you...

Spoiler

1.5v is standard for ddr3

Read @MageTank post above.

And ddr4 standard is 1.2-1.35v, and ddr3 standard is1.5-1.65, just to correct you.

But Max Safe is conservative. Some Memory Manufacturers have pushed up to 1.75. (I think Patriot, not sure) 

Quite a few. Names that come to mind are probably Bullant, Alex@Ro, etc. I know RULE runs at 1.85v. 

Even degradation is a hard claim to make, as it is almost impossible to prove. Again, vDIMM does not impact the voltage being taken in by the IMC. Voltage that runs in and out of the IMC is VCCIO (A and D), and VCCSA is the IMC and PCIE subdomain voltages. These two are the only two voltages that i could see hurting an IMC. That being said, there is some truth to what he says. These faster kits tend to require more VCCIO/SA voltages to remain stable. vDIMM alone will not be enough, as you will eventually hit a wall where the IMC needs to be fed more voltage to handle the ram. That is where i would see degradation, or death, being possible with these kits. 

You could just relax the timings though, and take the stress off the IMC, but then whats the point in even increasing the clock speeds? You would end up with 3400mhz memory that is slower than 3000mhz memory.

In short, vDIMM is not going to kill a CPU at all. It will not degrade a CPU either. However, higher VDIMM kits tend to also require higher VCCIO/SA voltages to keep their high speeds stable, and those two voltages can and will eventually kill an IMC if not used properly.

This is the official stance on DDR3 with Intel:

Skylake's IMC officially supports only DDR3L with a voltage of 1.35, and it officially supports DDR4 at 1.2 V. This might seem a little counter-intuitive to some users, as the entire reason for continuing DDR3 support is to make it cheaper and easier for customers to upgrade to the new Skylake platform, but these voltages are likely used to avoid damaging the IMC. Although it would be nice to use any DDR3 from 1.35 V - 1.65 V, running at these higher voltages could burn out the IMC and kill the processor over time.

If this is the case, though, then why do OEMs such as Gigabyte support DDR3 at 1.5 V on some of their motherboards? And why do others such as Asus and ASRock support DDR3 at 1.65 V? RAM running at these voltages might be capable of operating on the motherboard without causing damage to the board itself, but again, over time it will likely damage the CPU. So if you don't have DDR3L on hand, you are probably better off to go ahead and spring for the more expensive DDR4.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-memory-support,30185.html

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

continuously 24/7 for daily use?

or for a couple minutes to see what the highest overclock possible he could get was?

obviously you dont know the difference do you...

I've been running it for around 8 hours a week for the past 6 months or so, sometimes even more than 8 hours a week. I haven't seen any ram degradation, the clocks I'm able to achieve haven't changed at the voltage I run.

Normally I run 2.1-2.15 for 2800 to 2860 9-12-12-17.

Need about 2.3 for 2933 c9

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I've been running it for around 8 hours a week for the past 6 months or so, sometimes even more than 8 hours a week. I haven't seen any ram degradation, the clocks I'm able to achieve haven't changed at the voltage I run.

RAM degradation is not the issue. It deals with the IMC.

RAM degradation is not the issue. It deals with the IMC.

Considering I haven't changed voltages for IMC at all, and I can still get the same clocks from my ram, then I doubt IMC is affected either.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Normally I run 2.1-2.15 for 2800 to 2860 9-12-12-17.

Need about 2.3 for 2933 c9

You have a skylake CPU?

I thought you only had the 4790k thats in your sig

Spoiler