will my Skylake CPU die with DDR3?

And the Core 2 Duo E6300, stock 1.86GHz

well yes any cpu under 2.5ghz really.

Exactly. The one thing i will attest to, and it might just be a fluke or one time occurrence, but the T series seems to be highly binned when it comes to having very low voltage leaking. I love this chip, and it will work perfectly for ITX. Part of me is kicking myself for not getting a 6700, but i got this 6600T for $200, and I honestly do not see me using HT, let alone being able to deal with the extra 10C of heat that typically comes with it.
the t series is kind of like buying a xeon, low power cpu's do tend to oc well because like you said, the stock voltage are chosen because they are lower.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Exactly. The one thing i will attest to, and it might just be a fluke or one time occurrence, but the T series seems to be highly binned when it comes to having very low voltage leaking. I love this chip, and it will work perfectly for ITX. Part of me is kicking myself for not getting a 6700, but i got this 6600T for $200, and I honestly do not see me using HT, let alone being able to deal with the extra 10C of heat that typically comes with it. 

I feel like the people know what they doing and stuff will buy the locked while those dont will buy K and then spreading misinformation

People will still recommended K over non-k. Yeah I would get that 6700 instead of K and let me see you kicking in regret.

I feel like the people know what they doing and stuff will buy the locked while those dont will buy K and then spreading misinformation

People will still recommended K over non-k. Yeah I would get that 6700 instead of K and let me see you kicking in regret.

this is 10000% correct a lot of ppl on here are noobs and often give bad advice. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

There are some caveats with non-K overclocking though. Just look at my pictures a few posts back. See how bad my L1 cache performance dropped once i overclocked? It's not just me. It happened to you, and a couple people on both MSI and ASRock forums. We lose access to AVX instruction sets, C-States, iGPU's, etc. I would not judge anyone for buying a K series CPU, not would i feel they would regret doing so.

Non-K overclocking offers only one advantage over K overclocking, and that is Price:Performance. To put it simply, you pay for convenience when buying a K CPU over a non-K CPU when it comes to skylake overclocking. It is much easier to change a multiplier, than it is to research for a proper non-K overclocking board, getting a SkyOC bios,  change BCLK, adjust ram within specified parameters, etc. 

I mostly see this non-K OCing happening on budget i3's and i5's. If you have the cash to invest in an i7, the difference between the 6700 and 6700k MSRP is only about $40. I would personally pay $40 to keep my L1 cache speeds and C states. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

There are some caveats with non-K overclocking though. Just look at my pictures a few posts back. See how bad my L1 cache performance dropped once i overclocked? It's not just me. It happened to you, and a couple people on both MSI and ASRock forums. We lose access to AVX instruction sets, C-States, iGPU's, etc. I would not judge anyone for buying a K series CPU, not would i feel they would regret doing so.

Non-K overclocking offers only one advantage over K overclocking, and that is Price:Performance. To put it simply, you pay for convenience when buying a K CPU over a non-K CPU when it comes to skylake overclocking. It is much easier to change a multiplier, than it is to research for a proper non-K overclocking board, getting a SkyOC bios,  change BCLK, adjust ram within specified parameters, etc. 

I mostly see this non-K OCing happening on budget i3's and i5's. If you have the cash to invest in an i7, the difference between the 6700 and 6700k MSRP is only about $40. I would personally pay $40 to keep my L1 cache speeds and C states. 

Yes, but the Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 is $120 cheaper than i7 6700K.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

that is correct, however they will bring features back in future bios updates :)

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Yes, but the Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 is $120 cheaper than i7 6700K.

But it does not work in Z170 boards, and I have yet to see a C230 series board that can OC these Xeons. 

that is correct, however they will bring features back in future bios updates :)

Do you have a source for this information? I have been trying to get answers from ASRock support for over a week regarding L1 cache speed, and all I got was a moderator on their forum that tried to help, but ultimately did not know how to solve the issue. Seeing as both MSI and ASRock suffer the exact same L1 cache problem, I doubt it is something that can easily be fixed with the bios. If anything, a microcode update from Intel will be required, and I doubt they care enough to do this. 

It's not that I don't believe you, I just can't find such information myself. 

But it does not work in Z170 boards, and I have yet to see a C230 series board that can OC these Xeons. 

Do you have a source for this information? I have been trying to get answers from ASRock support for over a week regarding L1 cache speed, and all I got was a moderator on their forum that tried to help, but ultimately did not know how to solve the issue. Seeing as both MSI and ASRock suffer the exact same L1 cache problem, I doubt it is something that can easily be fixed with the bios. If anything, a microcode update from Intel will be required, and I doubt they care enough to do this. 

there is no info but it is a logical step for them to take. the main reason why you dont have those features is because extreme overclockers have pushed the development of this and now that its working ok most of them havent bothered getting other features working. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

well sometimes the trade-off has to be made in order to achieve what we want.

But even though our L1 got reduced, but for gaming and normal use it would be fine, it wont affect anything much. 

For some app maybe suffer a lil amount of delay, but I dont think it will be noticable.

dont know if it can be fix by coding it, since i can probably mess thing up. Yeah and I did notice the different between my 2 system L1. BUt normal usage I dont think it will be a problem

this is 10000% correct a lot of ppl on here are noobs and often give bad advice. 

I know how it feels man. I usually ignore those topics/threads.

You have a skylake CPU?

I thought you only had the 4790k thats in your sig

What I'm trying to say is, running ridiculously out of spec on one CPU vs another should show similar results.

If my IMC was going to degrade, it would of done it already and I would of had to loosen timings, and possibly add more system agent voltages. None of these things have happened, even after hundreds of hours of running ram nearly 1v higher than is considered "safe'

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

What I'm trying to say is, running ridiculously out of spec on one CPU vs another should show similar results.

If my IMC was going to degrade, it would of done it already and I would of had to loosen timings, and possibly add more system agent voltages. None of these things have happened, even after hundreds of hours of running ram nearly 1v higher than is considered "safe'

but the 4790k was only released a year ago...

you wouldnt notice any degradation in such a short period of time...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

but the 4790k was only released a year ago...

you wouldnt notice any degradation in such a short period of time...

Bingo! Which is why people saying "DDR3 on Skylake will cause degradation" is unfounded, because it has not been out long enough to test this. Even in the initial report from Intel, their wording gives it away for me. "Usage of DDR3 at default voltages can damage Skylake". Voltages. Plural. More than one. Clearly they are not talking solely about vDIMM. They clearly mean more than one voltage, and i suspect they are referring to the VCCIO/SA voltages, which is where the real damage comes from. 

One could try to argue that they meant 1.5 and 1.65 vDIMM, but 1.65 vDIMM is not a default voltage. It is not supported by JEDEC at all, and thus, does not make sense to be labeled a default voltage. 

Remember people, Intel only "officially" supports 1600mhz 1.5v memory on Haswell. Anything above that is not officially supported, and yet people have been running 1.65v now for years. 

Yes, i know. "You cant compare Skylake to Haswell, they are two different things!". Very correct. However, I can compare Intel to themselves, as they make these "official support" statements every single time a product is released. And as overclockers, we have ignored these "official support" statements every single time. 

I know Intel is a much greater source than I, as I am just a random nobody on an internet forum. Which is why I will not try to force my views on you, but i can at least try to give my experience on the subject, as I have yet to fry any of my IMC's running outside of Intel's specs (both on my Haswell rigs, and on my current 2 Skylake chips). I'll even buy a Skylake DDR3 board and run 1.65v DDR3 and test this. By the time i can get conclusive results, it won't matter though. A new chip will be released, new statements will be made, and trying to use my previous evidence as a comparison will be met with the same response as we've seen in this thread. "You can't compare the two, they are entirely different architectures". But for the sake of science, i'll still gladly do that test.

• 8 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old, but I am discussing about the same topic and this thread has good information.

I have seen a Skylake overclocking guide and it says both VCCIO and VCCSA should tops at 1.35v. 

Then: how high does DDR3 1.65v memory runs on these values (VCCIO / VCCSA) for Skylake?

Do you need to manually lower the values to stay below 1.35v? If so, does this compromises performance / timings / clock?

These are simple questions that I cannot find anywhere.  Note: Google can be a little bit tricky / elusive sometimes.

I appreciate any info.

Cheers,

Obs: I am not going to buy DDR3 memory, I am just trying to understand the limitations of DDR3 with Skylake.

-- Win7 64 / i7-3770K 4.2Ghz / Zalman CNPS9900 NT Viper 140 mod / GA-Z77X-D3H / GTX 770 Lightning / G- Skill 8GB 2400Mhz / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / WD Velociraptor 1TB / Corsair RM 750W / Carbide 300R --
-- Win7 64 / FX-6300 / Zalman CNPS9900 NT / GA-970A-D3P / Sapphire HD 6870 / Vengeance 8GB 1333Mhz / Corsair GS 128GB / Corsair HX 650W / CM Sileo 500 --