Microsoft to use different tech in Hololens, fires 60 engineers

kcnzuv.jpg

Israeli news website Ynet reports that Microsoft Israel has fired 60 engineers working on the HoloLens project, and that Microsoft will continue development on the HoloLens with different technology from the US.

The article was spotted by Neogaf user M.D., who read the article that is written in Hebrew. Roughly translated, the article mentions that Microsoft Israel abruptly decided to stop the project that the Israeli team was working on. The team consists of 60 engineers, 30 of those are permanent employees which are given one month to find a new job within Microsoft. The other 30 engineers involve contracted workers, which are fired immediately.

Now that's just messed up, imagine you're one of the engineers working hard on this project for this long. And one morning at work, you're being told, today is your last day. Don't come tomorrow. :\

http://wccftech.com/hololens-might-use-different-tech-after-microsoft-fires-60-engineers/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Seems a bit rough, what's up MS?

i think it's a proper decision for a company (who's target is based on benefits/profits) , They don't have to look good for general public as a matter of fact(who might see this as an evil move from MS)

Details separate people.

This has me worried, I hope the hololens isn't having any development problems. I thought that they've already demo'd the technology, and people have said it was great so I don't know what the problem could be. Or it could just be that development is finalized, and they are moving into production and fine-tuning.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

They are laid off. That means Microsoft breach their contract with the employees and have to pay generous severance package (as per agreement). They can re-apply at the company in a different position/project immediately.

Seems a bit rough, what's up MS?

MS is a company with over 100k employees worldwide more that twice that Apple and Google, the new CEO is cutting down on a really overdue overhead cut, if there's no reason to keep someone on the payroll the get rid off it but is not just giving them the boot, they get paid bonuses and compensation for terminating their contract so its not like, the next day they get their income cut in a single day. AFAIK they get enough to keep the same lifestyle they have for a few months while looking for a new job or endeavor, still i think it would be more fair if they get relocated if possible or at least get pointed to another place that can give them a job.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

-snip-

Perhaps there was some other underlying cause for their termination here?

The article does npt specifically state why, but for all we know it could've been for security reasons...

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

people may say this is harsh but alot of engineers who work on design projects dont expect to keep there jobs forever

>inb4 Israel hate

Kinda sucks. But severance is probably decent.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

They are laid off. That means Microsoft breach their contract with the employees and have to pay generous severance package (as per agreement). They can re-apply at the company in a different position/project immediately.

Is that for all 60 or just 30?

A hint more information:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsofts-hololens-team-just-got-bit-smaller-according-reports

It is speculated that MS is going to Leap Motion (US company), for widening the field of view the Holo Lens.

Okay, why the fuck is Microsoft going to a different direction so late into the HoloLens' development cycle.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

It is possible it could be a performance thing. There are always project due dates in these things and if the team isn't getting the work done as projected/expected then may be a good move.

It is also possible that MS is thinking that a fresh team may be able to move the project up to the next level.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Is that for all 60 or just 30?

Everyone who gets fired without waiting for their contract to end by the company. Severance packages are usually a thing that large companies offer, as an incentive to get engineers.

In the engineering field, everyone is on contract. They are many reasons for this. For example, companies can say that you can't work at the competing company, include an NDA clause so that you speak to other companies or people on what you are doing, it also ensures a more secure pay for the engineer (won't go down).

All engineers are seen as, and like to be seen as consultants. Companies hires them for their knowledge and expertise, and hope they stay at the company and grow inside. Engineers usually stay to have the ability to improve their expertise, and grow their knowledge in a specif field or other. In other words, both side wins.

This is a bit also why, if you ask an engineers what they do, and who they work for, you'll normally get as a response: "Software engineer/developer", or "Computer engineer", or "Material engineers", etc. and "for a software company", or "for a hardware company". While in other fields, you'll get "I am working on doing this", and "I am working for XYZ, Inc."

It is pretty interesting, but this is probably because engineers are also researchers.

Now that's just messed up, imagine you're one of the engineers working hard on this project for this long. And one morning at work, you're being told, today is your last day. Don't come tomorrow. :\

http://wccftech.com/hololens-might-use-different-tech-after-microsoft-fires-60-engineers/

Basically something that happens to thousand of people every day around the world? Only the temporary employees have been fired, the other 30 get a month paid vacation while they get a new assignment.

This has me worried, I hope the hololens isn't having any development problems. I thought that they've already demo'd the technology, and people have said it was great so I don't know what the problem could be. Or it could just be that development is finalized, and they are moving into production and fine-tuning.

Did you see the pricetag on that thing? Nobody in their right mind would buy it unless it was for work or they are rich.

Okay, why the fuck is Microsoft going to a different direction so late into the HoloLens' development cycle.

how is it late? The first devkits are not even delivered yet. How many devkits has the occulus gone through yet?

And give back the severance package, and then get fired soon after without getting another one.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

And give back the severance package, and then get fired soon after without getting another one.

No, because you sign another one. If they remove it, well the person can apply anywhere else, and too bad for the company loosing a very valuable member, and now have to spend thousands of dollars in finding someone else, interview, training, etc. And that is in competitive field, so companies have to give good, attractive, benefits.

No, because you sign another one. If they remove it, well the person can apply anywhere else, and too bad for the company loosing a very valuable member, and now have to spend thousands of dollars in finding someone else, interview, training, etc. And that is in competitive field, so companies have to give good, attractive, benefits.

You haven't actually heard anything from people who've been fired from Microsoft before have you?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm not sure either of the linked articles are necessarily credible sources...?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.