Jim Keller leaves AMD - AMD claims Zen "on track"

CommandMan7

Yes, I know, this was posted by someone else about 30 minutes ago, but that got locked due to not following the posting guidelines.

Jim Keller has left his position as chief architect of AMD, after joining just over 3 years ago. In case you haven't heard of him, Jim Keller is responsible for, among other things, pioneering the X86-64 specification and playing a key part in the creation and success of AMD's K7 and K8 and Apple's A4 and A5 architectures. According to AMD, "Jim’s departure is not expected to impact our public product or technology roadmaps, and we remain on track for “Zen” sampling in 2016 with first full year of revenue in 2017." 

I personally don't see this as a huge problem, due to the fact that AMD would not let talent like this leave unless zen was already mostly finished. 

Source: http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/86585-legendary-cpu-architect-jim-keller-leaves-amd/

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

RIP AMD.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

RIP AMD.

Really? This is just an engineer leaving, I'm sure by this point AMD is in the testing & manufacturing phase of development.

I didn't really expect Zen to be that good anyway, but we need to stop with the RIP AMD in every single news thread.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

He did the Apple A4 and A5?

Well that guarantees that Zen won't be bad.

Not just that, he also developed the first x86-64 chip and AMD's wildly popular K7 & K8 designs. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Jim Keller, former Chief Architect of Microprocessor Cores, will leave the company today to pursue other opportunities.

Attempting to allay any fears over the impact of Keller's departure, the company adds that "Jim helped establish a strong leadership team that is well positioned for success as we enter the completion phase of the “Zen” core and associated system IP and SoCs."

Sounds to me like he just bailed a sinking ship. Guess only time will tell. 

now lets just sit back and watch how everything plays out

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Will be interesting to sew where Keller winds up. That's a blow to AMD no matter which way you slice it.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Will be interesting to sew where Keller winds up. That's a blow to AMD no matter which way you slice it.

it would be funny to see intel hire him :P

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

They just got him back? That's a huge surprise!

I wonder that AMD will do know and also why he left.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Rats off a sinking ship. Either that or theres some dealing going on behind the scenes and he doesn't want to be known as Microsofts lead engineer or Samsung's lead engineer.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

They just got him back? That's a huge surprise!

I wonder that AMD will do know and also why he left.

Rats off a sinking ship. Either that or theres some dealing going on behind the scenes and he doesn't want to be known as Microsofts lead engineer or Samsung's lead engineer.

Going by his employment history (well, at least the part I'm aware of), I just get the

impression that this is what he does. Work on a major project or two, then leave to do

something else, maybe come back later.

Zen is probably mostly done by now. I doubt it'll be good enough to get back to the glory

days of the K7/K8, but if it's decent and they don't fuck up their PR (i.e. if they manage

to get expectations in line with what they deliver and provide decent performance per

dollar and per watt) it could get AMD back on a somewhat sustainable path of doing business.

But getting AMD back into good shape instead of just survival mode is going to be a long-term

thing, and it probably won't hinge on a single engineer (although a single person in the right place

at the right time can make a considerable difference).

As a side note: AMD going under and being taken over (or just being taken over) would be a

pretty complicated thing, especially the CPU side, due to various patent licensing issues,

as far as I'm aware.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Not just that, he also developed the first x86-64 chip and AMD's wildly popular K7 & K8 designs. 

He was one cog in the machinery that developed those architectures. One man doesn't make or break their CPU design.

In any case, the design work on Zen would be mostly done by now, if it's still on schedule for the launch next year.

he doesn't want to be known as Microsofts lead engineer or Samsung's lead engineer.

Don't see how either of those would be a bad thing.

Especially in the case of Samsung with their great fabs.

Going by his employment history (well, at least the part I'm aware of), I just get the

impression that this is what he does. Work on a major project or two, then leave to do

something else, maybe come back later.

Zen is probably mostly done by now. I doubt it'll be good enough to get back to the glory

days of the K7/K8, but if it's decent and they don't fuck up their PR (i.e. if they manage

to get expectations in line with what they deliver and provide decent performance per

dollar and per watt) it could get AMD back on a somewhat sustainable path of doing business.

But getting AMD back into good shape instead of just survival mode is going to be a long-term

thing, and it probably won't hinge on a single engineer (although a single person in the right place

at the right time can make a considerable difference).

As a side note: AMD going under and being taken over (or just being taken over) would be a

pretty complicated thing, especially the CPU side, due to various patent licensing issues,

as far as I'm aware.

Hmmm, though, surely if Zen is going to be good enough to pull AMD back into the game he would have stayed to see it through to completion (granted, he's not solely responsible for its success)? Albeit, I don't know much about his history, so as you say it might just be what he does - being a part of one thing, doing his thing then going off to do it with another. 

Just to be cheeky and ask, how come you and airdeano don't fill a full line in a post? :P

Or perhaps more likely his contract with AMD has ended?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

First gen bulldozer was pretty bad, do you think first gen zen will also be meh? Like, they are probably already working on improving it :D

Hmmm, though, surely if Zen is going to be good enough to pull AMD back into the game he would have stayed to see it through to completion (granted, he's not solely responsible for its success)? Albeit, I don't know much about his history, so as you say it might just be what he does - being a part of one thing, doing his thing then going off to do it with another.

Of course I won't claim to know what's really going on either, my guess is just based

on his previous behavioral patterns. Maybe something is indeed smelling funny, but merely

him leaving doesn't ring all my alarms on full tilt, so to speak.

Just to be cheeky and ask, how come you and airdeano don't fill a full line in a post? :P

I can only speak for myself, not for him, and for me it's just a habit I've carried

over from coding (where I try to stick to 80 chars per line, although I'm not as strict

with the number of chars on forum posts because there's no char counter per line).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I personally don't see this as a huge problem, due to the fact that AMD would not let talent like this leave unless zen was already mostly finished. 

What, would they lock him in his office or something if he tried to leave the building? :P

I hope that doesn't impact Zen. If Zen is a failure like Bulldozer, Intel will continue releasing new generations with minor performance improvements and the desktop CPU market will remain uninteresting.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

This is the clear signal there will be no more amd by 2017, someone has to buy them, if the top cpu arhitect left amd and the gpu business separated, the AMD that produces CPU dekstop/server and APU's for laptops and consoles is going to be sold.

The problem is whoever is going to buy them its probably not going to invest in desktop CPU's that much or at all, maybe in the server market.

The future looks sad for desktop with intel being a loner playing with x86 market cpu's.

Just hope ZEN makes AMD come back up from it's slump, i really do not give a toss who they lose in the process.

People here have no idea if he was one of the people who made the crappy design choices from Bulldozer.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

This is the clear signal there will be no more amd by 2017, someone has to buy them, if the top cpu arhitect left amd and the gpu business separated, the AMD that produces CPU dekstop/server and APU's for laptops and consoles is going to be sold.

The problem is whoever is going to buy them its probably not going to invest in desktop CPU's that much or at all, maybe in the server market.

The future looks sad for desktop with intel being a loner playing with x86 market cpu's.

Lol that logic is priceless.

Back in 2012 AMD was still in trouble and they didn't have Keller... sooo shouldn't they have been sold before he was even hired? xD

Just hope ZEN makes AMD come back up from it's slump, i really do not give a toss who they lose in the process.

People here have no idea if he was one of the people who made the crappy design choices from Bulldozer.

Jim Keller was not at AMD when Bulldozer was designed, so we know for a fact that he was not one of the people who made the crappy design choices from Bulldozer.