Let's Put This to Rest: Build Über 4K PC NOW OR WAIT for Pascal / Arcitc Island DIRECT X12 vs MANTLE?

I still don't see the reasoning behind waiting. If you get into the waiting game you'll get never out of it.

I'd still say, get the Fury X now, and a decent ips 4k panel like the Dell P2715Q for 520$ and be done with it. 

This is true. People are saying to wait because a couple of really demanding games stretch a 980 Ti at 4K. I guarantee that when Pascal releases even newer games will have released and the most demanding ones will stretch the top end GPU then as well. People make the argument that "4K just isn't there" because it's not reached the stage that 1080p has only just reached in the last year whereby £500 GPUs can max out basically everything at that resolution.

A GTX 480 couldn't max out Crysis at 1080p -- a game that was already 3 years old in 2010 -- and yet to claim that "1080p just wasn't there yet" would be ludicrous. There are always games that are particularly demanding and push the envelope and that is going to happen ever single year. If you wait until your top end card can max everything you'll never stop waiting, or you'll be using an obsolete monitor in perpetuity.

@ @Atmos you guys confuse Me, we're talking a single GPU with more VRAM than a Titan x or z and integrated dx12. 4K 144hz gsync right out of the box that's a serious GPU, what if they come out with a new Über motherboard, and I told you they don't have a 4K curved gsync monitor anywhere it doesn't exist, besides I have to wait for all the good fallout 4 mods and all the servers @ dice to crash for battlefront before I can "enjoy" PC gaming. So by February more pascal info will be out and the other stuff too...

**You guys have been PC gaming a lot longer than I, how do you feel when they come out with brand new motherboards, and new ram, new monitors, new GPU's, etc.? Aren't you pissed you just upgraded last year? Does it drive you insane? How do you keep your system state of the art???!?!?!**

*****Shouldn't I get the Comos II case now, that way later when I want to add More HDDs and hard pipe cooling, I'll have room?****

New ram? doesnt change performance from whats already available.

New mobo? No performance increase, just new looks.

New monitors? some of the are interesting, but I've already spent almost a thousand dollars on my current monitors, so couldn't care at all. I'll probably be rocking these for another 5 years.

New GPUS? If the new gpu has some crazy awesome feature, then cool! If it doesnt? like the 900 series, or the up coming pascal? then there's nothing really to get excited about besides an increase to performance.

And you don't keep your system state of the art, by the time your parts arrive at the door there will already be better, more powerful gear. To keep your system state of the art you would have to spend thousands of dollars every 8 months or so on a new cpu, motherboard, ssd's, and gpu. That's just stupid.

Curved monitors, smaller than 38inches or so are actually WORSE than a flat panel. Sure, it's great if you sit exactly 3ft away, and sure it's GREAT if you sit exactly in the middle, but if you move slightly towards the side, or slightly farther back, or slightly closer than you lose viewing angles, making it look worse than a flat panel. I see no point AT ALL to curved monitors/displays at any size less than around 60 inches.

I don't care about g-sync/freesync really. I'm not going to spend 1/2 my budget each year on a monitor when I can get a monitor with great color reproduction, 4k, and a beautiful price of only 500 bucks.

Pascal most likely will only mean a vram increase on the Titan Launch, not on the standard consumer line. You'll maybe see 8gb cards then, probably nothing more, so I really don't care to see what they do. And they're focusing not on HBM, but on Gddr5 high speed memory, since hbm is getting such low yields, so since there won't be any new crazy features I'm really not that interested. If AMD launch a crazy 8gb hbm card, then I might be interested, though only on a few occasions have I capped my 4gbs of hbm now, so it probably won't make a world of difference. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I am on phone so I don't feel like typing much but...

Basically even if you get all top end hardware for a lot of money now you barely get good 4k gaming experience if you want to play games maxed out which you should if you are throwing so much money on it.

Such PC will lose its value by a lot once a 4k very capable single GPU comes out which will most likely happen in next generation (Pascal).

Then expect your PC to lose its value by about a 50% within 1.5 year which is a lot of money.

Edit..

It will lose value even more so if Maxwell turns out to be a flop at DX12 even with drivers.

980tis and I max every game with x2 aa 60fps

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

This is true. People are saying to wait because a couple of really demanding games stretch a 980 Ti at 4K. I guarantee that when Pascal releases even newer games will have released and the most demanding ones will stretch the top end GPU then as well. People make the argument that "4K just isn't there" because it's not reached the stage that 1080p has only just reached in the last year whereby £500 GPUs can max out basically everything at that resolution.

A GTX 480 couldn't max out Crysis at 1080p -- a game that was already 3 years old in 2010 -- and yet to claim that "1080p just wasn't there yet" would be ludicrous. There are always games that are particularly demanding and push the envelope and that is going to happen ever single year. If you wait until your top end card can max everything you'll never stop waiting, or you'll be using an obsolete monitor in perpetuity.

This is precisely the problem. If you're not willing to spend more than a thousand dollars on dual 980tis, or dual Fury X's, then you will not get solid 60fps, and even if you do get cfx/sli you will still get the occasional drop, or stutter. 

Having personally moved to 4k, it's not a platform for FPS snobs, you will HATE IT if you dislike anything lower than 60fps, because my $700 gpu can only just barely hold about 45fps in games at high settings.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

4K sucks.

Also, I have a 800€ rig that can do 4K 60FPS

/thread

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

This is precisely the problem. If you're not willing to spend more than a thousand dollars on dual 980tis, or dual Fury X's, then you will not get solid 60fps, and even if you do get cfx/sli you will still get the occasional drop, or stutter. 

Having personally moved to 4k, it's not a platform for FPS snobs, you will HATE IT if you dislike anything lower than 60fps, because my $700 gpu can only just barely hold about 45fps in games at high settings.

I don't have any trouble keeping 60fps in most games on my 970s. Just a case of turning AA and AO off, along with things like Blur, Bloom and Depth of Field that I turn off anyway through preference. Then some minor tweaking like water quality or something.

I don't have any trouble keeping 60fps in most games on my 970s. Just a case of turning AA and AO off, along with things like Blur, Bloom and Depth of Field that I turn off anyway through preference. Then some minor tweaking like water quality or something.

You are smart.

There are circlejerkers out there who yell: "UMGGG CAN'T DO 8X AA and Ultra Settings, 4k gaming is expenzieees!!!"

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

I still don't see the reasoning behind waiting. If you get into the waiting game you'll get never out of it.

I'd still say, get the Fury X now, and a decent ips 4k panel like the Dell P2715Q for 520$ and be done with it. 

So why.. a Fury X when a 980Ti is 20% more powerfull for the same price or lower?

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Wait.

4k uber PC is waste of money right now.

Well, 4k productivity work is already doable -- it's just 4k ultra gaming that just isn't quite there yet. Personally, if you really care about going 4k asap, AND if your current rig still does a good job, then I'd say wait. Otherwise, waiting is rarely the right answer (unless of course the release is a couple weeks away, which Pascal is not).

I am on phone so I don't feel like typing much but...

Basically even if you get all top end hardware for a lot of money now you barely get good 4k gaming experience if you want to play games maxed out which you should if you are throwing so much money on it.

Such PC will lose its value by a lot once a 4k very capable single GPU comes out which will most likely happen in next generation (Pascal).

Then expect your PC to lose its value by about a 50% within 1.5 year which is a lot of money.

Edit..

It will lose value even more so if Maxwell turns out to be a flop at DX12 even with drivers.

Can't wait for 4k max to be 100 bucks. 

But 780ti was great 1440p card and it delivered and 980ti is even better 1440p card if you want to play on more than 60Hz however it is marketed as a 4k card while it really isn't and you need two of them unlike the 780ti which could push the resolution it was marketed for.

So if you got single 780ti you can play 1440p and you get pretty much no benefit to upgrade to 980ti as that will let you stuck to 1440p too so 780ti actually keeps most of its value.

Regarding DX12 vs Mantle vs Vulkan vs AMD vs NVIDIA... There is too little data to say anything beside speculations.

I can only assume on benchmarks from Ashes of Singularity.

Then please tell me why my shitty 4 year old rig with a brand new 980Ti can handle everything I trow at it at 4K.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Then please tell me why my shitty 4 year old rig with a brand new 980Ti can handle everything I trow at it at 4K.

What games and what settings? Most AAA games run at around 30-40FPS if you max them out without MSAA.

Because the CPU is largely irrelevant at 4k, thus being four years old is meaningless. And you're not playing at ultra settings in some of the newer/more demanding games. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Arctic island? never heard of it

code name for the AMD R9 400 series, says to come with HBM2. Nvidia's Pascal it's said to also come with HBM2.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

What games and what settings? Most AAA games run at around 30-40FPS if you max them out without MSAA.

Well then set a few settings down and get locked 60FPS.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Build for today unless you don't mind waiting for another year or so.  GTX 6XX to 7XX to 9XX all seem to have about a two year gap between them. IF this trend continues you will be waiting until late 2016 or early 2017.

4k is very viable right now. With a single card I hang out in the 40-60fps range without MSAA, which happens to be in my monitors Freesync window, making everything feel smooth. 

If SLI or CF is a must for you I would go with the AMD solution because it scales better currently, even getting 100% scaling in certain applications. 

Single card solution 980ti without hesitation. 

@Atmos @djdwosk97 @overtomperson @WereCat I appreciate the advice and insight, PC gaming is the best form of gaming, but at a price. You need to keep up with the industry to some extent maybe every 2 years upgrade a component or two in your rig, vs console gaming where you're good for 8+ years. One last thing from you guys and I'll leave you alone, hahaha, know of any PC cases that don't look completely square and generic? Tell me that and I'll let you be and let the pascal argument die.

Build for today unless you don't mind waiting for another year or so.  GTX 6XX to 7XX to 9XX all seem to have about a two year gap between them. IF this trend continues you will be waiting until late 2016 or early 2017.

4k is very viable right now. With a single card I hang out in the 40-60fps range without MSAA, which happens to be in my monitors Freesync window, making everything feel smooth. 

If SLI or CF is a must for you I would go with the AMD solution because it scales better currently, even getting 100% scaling in certain applications. 

Single card solution 980ti without hesitation. 

Only issue I have with this is that CF Fury X involves at least as many AIOs as GPUs in your PC. That's already bordering on the ridiculous or impractical, if you already have an AIO for your CPU as well then it is starting to become unlikely that you won't run into case compatibility problems.

@Atmos @djdwosk97 @overtomperson @WereCat I appreciate the advice and insight, PC gaming is the best form of gaming, but at a price. You need to keep up with the industry to some extent maybe every 2 years upgrade a component or two in your rig, vs console gaming where you're good for 8+ years. One last thing from you guys and I'll leave you alone, hahaha, know of any PC cases that don't look completely square and generic? Tell me that and I'll let you be and let the pascal argument die.

Other than spending a tonne on Lian Li, I like the Corsair 760T and Air 540 personally. 

Well, that's not exactly a fair statement. A console lasts eight years by playing games at <1080p, 30FPS, and low settings. You can easily do that on any eight year old PC hardware. 

For cases... Well, I personally like the more simplistic designs... so my top choices would be: NZXT S340, H440, Corsair 350D, Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

But for less simplistic cases: NZXT Noctis 450, Phantoms, Corsair 760T/780T, C70, Air 540

Then there's the cases I like, but would never buy due to not wanting to pay up -- Lian Li and inWin

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Well, that's not exactly a fair statement. A console lasts eight years by playing games at <1080p, 30FPS, and low settings. You can easily do that on any eight year old PC hardware. 

For cases... Well, I personally like the more simplistic designs... so my top choices would be: NZXT S340, H440, Corsair 350D, Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

But for less simplistic cases: NZXT Noctis 450, Phantoms, Corsair 760T/780T, C70, Air 540

Then there's the cases I like, but would never buy due to not wanting to pay up -- Lian Li and inWin

i saw an Inwin with a gold wrap around clear side panels for $250 on eBay

Ooooh I forgot about Inwin. If money weren't an object I would so get a 909 or 805.

Ooooh I forgot about Inwin. If money weren't an object I would so get a 909 or 805.

lets pretend we had moneyzzzz tell me what cases you would buy @djdwosk97

lets pretend we had moneyzzzz tell me what cases you would buy @djdwosk97

If money was no object, then I'd do a custom loop on a custom wall mount...something like this: http://blogs-images.forbes.com/antonyleather/files/2014/04/5.jpg Or maybe go with a mineral oil pc. 

But realistically, probably an InWin 909/904, although I personally do quite like my H440. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Only issue I have with this is that CF Fury X involves at least as many AIOs as GPUs in your PC. That's already bordering on the ridiculous or impractical, if you already have an AIO for your CPU as well then it is starting to become unlikely that you won't run into case compatibility problems.

Other than spending a tonne on Lian Li, I like the Corsair 760T and Air 540 personally. 

I definitely agree on the issue of room and forget that at times building in Full ATX cases. I haven't seen OP mention anything on cases he likes so I'm assuming a full tower. 

I definitely agree on the issue of room and forget that at times building in Full ATX cases. I haven't seen OP mention anything on cases he likes so I'm assuming a full tower. 

Even something like the 900D would struggle because of the tube lengths.

Even something like the 900D would struggle because of the tube lengths.

I'm going to disagree with you on this. My fury X is currently inside a Bitfenix Colossus and there isn't any where I cannot mount my rad, with a H100 GTX, its a fairly large case. There are always exceptions though, this is just in my experience. 

I did go look at OP's previous topics and he's mentioned the Cooler Master Cosmos II as a case he is interested in. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/441002-any-way-to-find-what-new-cases-are-coming-out/#entry5910880  

4K sucks.

Also, I have a 800€ rig that can do 4K 60FPS

/thread

no u don't

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933