Xperia Z5 lineup Launched [This thread is featured in Phonearena]

jos

all with snapdragon 810 wtf they didn`t learn nothing from the crap z3+ toaster. and with sd 820 just around the corner...

Xperia Z5 Premium has been shown to record in 4k for over 10 minutes constantly without overheating - whatever they've done, the heat output isn't a problem anymore.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I wonder how will this score in on screen graphic benchmark tests with this ridiculous 4k screen. Seriously what in the world were they thinking? 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I wonder how will this score in on screen graphic benchmark tests with this ridiculous 4k screen. Seriously what in the world were they thinking? 

Just imagine the Z5 Compact. It scored twice as high as the iPhone 6 on GFXBench. That will be as close to perfect as a gaming smartphone will get ATM 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Just imagine the Z5 Compact. It scored twice as high as the iPhone 6 on GFXBench. That will be as close to perfect as a gaming smartphone will get ATM 

Z5 compact yes, but the Z5 premium no. The Z5 compact feels like a more reasonable buy all around, and if it has the same monster battery life the z3 compact had it will be dope. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

As the owner of a Z1, I sincerely hope the camera lives up to the Sony brand standard, I feel somewhat ashamed when an iPhone 4 (not kidding) ends up getting better shots most of the time. If they do it this time, and if they solved the snapdragon overheating problems, this will be one of the best smartphones of 2015, it will tick every box, camera, display, construction, and front facing speakers (how most brands are still placing them in the rear is beyond me...). Also, the frosted glass back is the best idea they ever had, no more fingerprints all over the place!

Yeah, but I like a good 1080p display over a 720p display, at the size of the Z5 compact you can tell a difference, if not much. Battery life is a biggie though...

Anyone who complains about 720p in a phone that's under 5 inches has a head problem imo, its 100% positive feature:

- Better battery life

- Most likely a better display (viewing angles ect) if its a flagship.

- Awesome gpu performance

- less heat output

- less space required to store movies at native res (even better battery life on movies)

- Lower cost

- Longer time before you need a new phone (lower effective cost)

There are thousands of 14-15.6 inch 1366x768 Laptops on the market yet we get people complaining about 4.6inch 720p? (yeah I get you have it closer to your face BUT STILL)

EDIT: i'm going to buy this phone asap (unless its nano sim, then i'm f*ked for a bit lol)

Do I need to take a photo of what 4.6inch 720p actually looks like? Have you used androids DPI setting?

Edit:

I'm not getting the Z5 Compact I want more than 2gb of ram and its a nano sim which would be a pain for me atm.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5_compact-7535.php

Ill wait for next gen with hopefully an 820 and full USB C.

Here with original Xperia Z and this new lineup looks really nice.
But why that SoC for that 4K premium model and not wait new SoC to put?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

get it while it's hot!!!

4k res on a phone really makes no sense. I'm shocked they continue to use 810 despite it's well known overheating problems.  I'm also skeptical about that battery life either so I'll wait and see.

didnt sony rant about how smartphone display resolution dont need to be that high and now they have a 4k smartphone

I'm interested in the Z5 Premium the most...provided it lives up to Sony's claimed battery life.

Great to see them fit a large screen into a reasonable sized package. Especially since they managed to tackle the SD810's overheating issues.

Now we just have to wait for reviews to see the battery life.

Perhaps it won't be the massive hit we all expect. Seeing as everyone was bitching and crying about 1080p being a massive drain for months, when it honestly wasn't that bad.

Why a 4K (UHD) screen, I cant even justify 1440p, why would anyone need/be able to use any higher. I don't see any reason to go past 1080p.

VR.

Don't knock progression, it has benefits even if it's not immediately known. See my post below.

The only good thing about my M4 is the battery life. I couldnt find it for a week and that tank still had 40% battery left....

What did you hate?
Was thinking about picking one up until the Nexus 6 2015 is released.

Perhaps they have something envisioned we don't know about, or can't currently fathom.

They're pretty good at tying their gaming systems into other devices. You can play the PS4 on the Z3.

Perhaps you'll have VR on the Premium. I'd want 4k for that.

Here with original Xperia Z and this new lineup looks really nice.
But why that SoC for that 4K premium model and not wait new SoC to put?

Why wait?

Then someone else would have put a 4k display in, and they wouldn't be the first.

There will always be a better SoC just around the corner.

didnt sony rant about how smartphone display resolution dont need to be that high and now they have a 4k smartphone

They didn't want anyone to put theirs out first ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Looks slick, simple and I'm impressed they managed to squeeze in 2 heatpipes in there. However I've seen really terrible quality control from Sony phones in the past so I will have to wait and see how this ones fare.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm planning on getting the Z5 Compact, I'll have paid off my Galaxy S4 in Feburary, and I was planning on the Z3 Compact. I'm really glad that the compact line got an upgrade.

VR.

Don't knock progression, it has benefits even if it's not immediately known. See my post below.

using a phone for VR dose not seem smart. I have no issue with 4k(UHD) for VR, but my phone dose not need anything higher then 1080p.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

using a phone for VR dose not seem smart. I have no issue with 4k(UHD) for VR, but my phone dose not need anything higher then 1080p.

IIRC the Oculus Rift uses a Galaxy Note screen. So. It makes perfect sense to use a phone for VR.

All you'd need is the housing to attach it to your face.

It would really be combining two devices into one. Which I think is great. I'd rather spend money on one and get two then have to spend a large sum twice.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

IIRC the Oculus Rift uses a Galaxy Note screen. So. It makes perfect sense to use a phone for VR.

All you'd need is the housing to attach it to your face.

It would really be combining two devices into one. Which I think is great. I'd rather spend money on one and get two then have to spend a large sum twice.

But it will not be low latency, it is not possible unless it allows for hardware level video input support. and lag in VR is terrible.

as said I think it nice they can build a screen like this, and it has its uses but a phone dose not need it, it brings more draw backs then benefits. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

And the Z3+/Z4 will be forgotten. Because, why did it even exist?

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I'm interested in the Z5 Premium the most...provided it lives up to Sony's claimed battery life.

Great to see them fit a large screen into a reasonable sized package. Especially since they managed to tackle the SD810's overheating issues.

Now we just have to wait for reviews to see the battery life.

Perhaps it won't be the massive hit we all expect. Seeing as everyone was bitching and crying about 1080p being a massive drain for months, when it honestly wasn't that bad.

VR.

What did you hate?

Was thinking about picking one up until the Nexus 6 2015 is released.

Perhaps they have something envisioned we don't know about, or can't currently fathom.

They're pretty good at tying their gaming systems into other devices. You can play the PS4 on the Z3.

Perhaps you'll have VR on the Premium. I'd want 4k for that.

Why wait?

Then someone else would have put a 4k display in, and they wouldn't be the first.

There will always be a better SoC just around the corner.

They didn't want anyone to put theirs out first ;)

M4 overheats, software lags after update. GPU sucks, (it is worse than my old Xperia Sp which is upto 50% faster). It only has 8GB storage which 2GB is accessible. The camera has focusing problems etc 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

I've always liked the idea behind Z3 Compact - small(or smallER than most flagships) and powerful phone. I think, that using a 808 instead of 810 would've been a better move. Miss the days when 4.2 inches were huge for a smartphone screen :(

I've always liked the idea behind Z3 Compact - small(or smallER than most flagships) and powerful phone. I think, that using a 808 instead of 810 would've been a better move. Miss the days when 4.2 inches were huge for a smartphone screen :(

I get your point about the 808. However, the 808 has a much worse GPU than the 810. Plus, sony is using dual heatpipe cooling along with the V2.1 version of the chip in their phones, so the heating shouldnt be that bad 

The 808 was not an option.

The only Snapdragon chips that support 23 megapixel cameras are the 805 and the 810. The 808 maxes out at 21 megapixels.

On top of that, the 808 maxes out at 2560x1600 on-device resolution, while the 810 goes up to UHD. Plus you will probably need the better GPU from the 810 to properly run things at UHD.

It pisses me off when I see people talking about how satisfied they are with their Xperia Z phones and both my original Z and Z3 have problems :(

It pisses me off when I see people talking about how satisfied they are with their Xperia Z phones and both my original Z and Z3 have problems :(

Well every phone has problems.

Within just three days of being listed on Sony’s UK website for sale, the recently-launched Xperia Z5 range of handsets have seen their prices slashed by up to as much as £120. When originally launched this past week, the Xperia Z5 was listed on the site at £599. By Sunday however, the price had come down by £50, and as of September 6th, the handset is listed on the same site at £549. So what about the phablet with the 4K screen called the Z5 Premium, you ask? Well, the device was originally listed at £699, but has now seen a price-cut of £70, and can now be had for £629 from the website. But the Japanese consumer electronics company saved the steepest price-cut for the smallest handset of the list, the Xperia Z5 compact. In a smartphone world where ‘bigger is better’ seems to be an almost universally accepted mantra, the 4.6-inch Z5 compact has seen its price come down by as much as £120; from the originally listed £549 to the current asking price of £429.

Source: http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/09/sony-cuts-prices-xperia-z5-range-within-days-launch.html