Xperia Z5 lineup Launched [This thread is featured in Phonearena]

jos

Z5 Premium with a a 2160 x 3840 pixels Ultra-HD (4K) resolution display of its own,  the 5.5" screen sports the record-breaking 800+ ppi density. "frosted" glass and metal frame, but has introduced some new twists on the Z5 Premium, such as swapping the circular OmniBalance power/lock key with an elliptical one, and for a good reason. The flagship is outfitted with a fingerprint scanner there, which is arguably the most ergonomic place to put it, not all the way down beneath the display, or even on the rear. While Sony's phones are not the first to come with such a side sensor.

The Z5 Premium is powered by Qualcomm's latest Snapdragon 810 chipset. The processor has had its troubles with thermal management, so we are curious what has Sony done to avoid throttling it too much - it has to power a 4K display after all. There are 3 generous GB of DDR4 RAM in the flagship, and 32 GB of storage, along with a microSD card slot for expansion.

Sony's newest 23 MP Exmor RS sensor makes a cameo in a Sony flagship for the first time in the Z5 trio, and we can reasonable expect extremely fast performance, as the phone will sport phase detection autofocus with 192 focus points. Sony promises 0.03s focusing times, which is rather fast indeed.

Featured Thread: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Xperia-Z5-Premium-may-have-a-1080p-interface-render-only-media-in-4K_id73531

Update/

Android system run with 1080p, only the pre-installed video and photo apps could drive the display with 4K. It apparently proprietary drivers are used to the "normal" app developers do not have access. So even the screen capture or other apps to see the resolution will only show FullHD

/Update 

Sony-Xperia-Z5-Premium.jpg

Other phones are Z5 and z5 Compact

Source: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z5-Premium-unveiled-meet-the-first-phone-with-4K-display_id73255

Z5 compact 

Platform: Android 5.1 Lollipop
Display: 4.6-inch IPS LCD display with a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels
Processor: Snapdragon 810 system chip with 3GB of RAM
Storage: up to 32GB of internal storage expandable via microSD cards
Cameras: 1/2.3'' 23 MP Sony Exmor RS rear camera, front-facing selfie cam
Battery: 2700mAh battery
Connectivity: 4G LTE connectivity (cat. 6)

edit

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

anyone here actually own a xperia z

ive never  seen one in public

Nearly all my friends from my high school have them.... On my Uni I've also seen a few here and there.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

A friend of mine has the first Xperia Z, both of my cousins have the Z1 Compact (and had terrible luck with the charges, took ~3 months until they got ones without the flash shining into the camera in dark scenarios and one of them had severe scratches and even a crack out of the box). They all seem quite satisfied with them (now).

No stop 5K or bust

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

ive never seen one in public

I have a z3

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

Xperia Z1 owner chiming in - soon to be a Z5 Premium owner  :P

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I'm going to go for the Xperia Z5 Compact

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | EVGA RTX 3060 Ti | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Why a 4K (UHD) screen, I cant even justify 1440p, why would anyone need/be able to use any higher. I don't see any reason to go past 1080p.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Already have a thread for this with all the official specs 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Z2 here... thing is built like a fucking tank.... been mildly abusing it for 2 years (as in, i dont reall care if i drop it, i just try not to).... Honestly... that phone is OP... battery is ridiculous, it lasts several days even when you use the phone A LOT.

Z2 here... thing is built like a fucking tank.... been mildly abusing it for 2 years (as in, i dont reall care if i drop it, i just try not to).... Honestly... that phone is OP... battery is ridiculous, it lasts several days even when you use the phone A LOT.

The only good thing about my M4 is the battery life. I couldnt find it for a week and that tank still had 40% battery left....

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

The only good thing about my M4 is the battery life. I couldnt find it for a week and that tank still had 40% battery left....

i know... honestly, ive stuck with Sony (since before they bought out Ericcson) for 12 years now... their phones never really dissappoints... sure, not always the most fancy, or the fastest. But build quality of them is ridiculously consistent.... its a fucking light version of the "nokia brick".

i know... honestly, ive stuck with Sony (since before they bought out Ericcson) for 12 years now... their phones never really dissappoints... sure, not always the most fancy, or the fastest. But build quality of them is ridiculously consistent.... its a fucking light version of the "nokia brick".

true,its the only 2015 waterproof flaghsip range

Z3 owner here, love the thing to bits, even after I dropped it, broke the screen, got it repaired and therefore lost the waterproofing abilities. If I could, I'd go for the Z5, not the premium or compact, I like my 1080p display and reasonable battery life.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

oww snapdragon 810.....might even skip it.

Just wait for reviews I guess.

Z3 owner here, love the thing to bits, even after I dropped it, broke the screen, got it repaired and therefore lost the waterproofing abilities. If I could, I'd go for the Z5, not the premium or compact, I like my 1080p display and reasonable battery life.

The Z5 Compact has insane gaming performance compared to the Z5 and will have better battery life. It is also a hell of a lot cheaper here in the UK on contract. 

The Z5 Compact has insane gaming performance compared to the Z5 and will have better battery life. It is also a hell of a lot cheaper here in the UK on contract. 

Yeah, but I like a good 1080p display over a 720p display, at the size of the Z5 compact you can tell a difference, if not much. Battery life is a biggie though, but both the standard Z5s will have miles better battery life than the premium version. Also, gaming performance isn't much to look at, as you need to look at what sort of games you play on your phone and how often you really play them.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Hmm, I kinda really want the premium... But what do they usually cost?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

i need to see how good the battery is...

my Z2 lasts 2.5 days with 8 hours music playing + a few calls pr day....

I want the compact due to the smaller size... 5.2" is just a bit bulky, and i cannot be arsed to go around cherry-picking jeans based on pocket size rather then whether or not they fit me....

I have a Z3 Compact and really love this thing. I never thought I could love a phone more than my previous Nexus S.

all with snapdragon 810 wtf they didn`t learn nothing from the crap z3+ toaster. and with sd 820 just around the corner...

all with snapdragon 810 wtf they didn`t learn nothing from the crap z3+ toaster. and with sd 820 just around the corner...

SD 820 comes out in 2016. And judging from first impressions that i have seen, the phones do not overheat. BtekT managed to record 4K for over 10 minutes with the phone only slightly heating up.