Xperia Z5 lineup Launched [This thread is featured in Phonearena]

jos

It seems people haven't notice or don't understand, that Sony uses their upscaling algorithms from their bravia TVs, so u wont even mostly notice that you are using upscaled version. you may ask why they use upscaling instead of native rendering...well it restrains way less the gpu and that means better battery life.

Also apprently that Bravia upscaling algorithm was designed 4k in mind, this apprently was one of the reason why sony went with 4K directly and not 2k or QHD. What I understood it gives the most optimal results...

is there any point with this...well that's a whole another debate

one more thing...I personally think this is a good way of doing things, all the most not that necessary things are upscalled (to save battery) and only the most important stuff are in native 4K.

okay I'm more intrested in the rumored Z5 ultra (6.5" phablet) that has 4K screen with snapdragon 820, Adreno 530 should be way better for 4K

When we took screenshots of the Z5 Premium's display at the IFA expo, however, we noticed that they all show 1080p resolution, not the display's actual 2160 x 3840 pixels count. There are quite a few forum threads dedicated on this development already, hinting that the world's first 4K phone won't always run the native screen resolution, especially when it comes to the Android interface. It seemed that you will be able to render 4K media like pictures and videos in Sony's native gallery and player in their full glory, perhaps even set 4K wallpapers, but when it comes to the Xperia UI, it hasn't been redrawn by Sony, or upscaled further than 1080p

Funny thing is if you click the link and go down to the source, you can see the forum mentioned in the post is  linustechtips ... So this has to be Repost

The 4k screen still eats considerably more power than 1080p no? 

But I understand reasoning for easing workload on GPU and RAM.

your video will be 4k. your games will be 4k. just that the usual stuff like the UI and FB wont be rendered with 4x the pixels for no damn reason

Only Stock album and movies app uses 4K, sorry no games

1. downsampling sharpens the image if anyhitng
  2. this is upsampled, always, and 1080-4k upsampling (if done right) is without any interpolation.

They are just replicating 4 pixels.. not doing fancy interpolation..proper interpolation is a CPU intensive task, It defeats the purpose of using 1080p. i.e. reduce heat and get a little battery life.. The savings in battery comes only from savings due to less CPU usage..

The 4k screen still eats considerably more power than 1080p no? 

But I understand reasoning for easing workload on GPU and RAM.

The entire 4K screen is on which will consume more power irrespective of what resolution it uses.... You can make it VGA.. but display consume same power as 4K

I actually thought they'd do something like this, makes sense. Specially since it's first of it's kind.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4K on a phone is useless anyway. Such a shame to see Sony join the typical Android spec race in order to manipulate buyers to think they're getting a better product.

My Z3 is absolute crap.. 

How come? I think my Z3 is the best phone I have ever had and is quite the beauty :P

The screen is just perfect :D

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

My Z3 is absolute crap..

That conclusion is purely subjective....

It seems almost everything is actually rendered in 1080p and then upscaled to 4k and this should according to Sony give the 2 day battery life. What do you guys think? is this a good or bad move/idea?

source: phonearena

That conclusion is purely subjective....

Yes, yes it is. Any thought on whether something is good is subjective. Because "good" in and of it self is subjective. 

anything over 1080p on a 5.5" phone makes no scene as much as i hate to say it apple has a point with their low res phones

300ppi is great, 350 is even better, 400 WOW, 450 is not even needed 

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

anything over 1080p on a 5.5" phone makes no scene as much as i hate to say it apple has a point with their low res phones

300ppi is great, 350 is even better, 400 WOW, 450 is not even needed

We have the Google cardboard, Samsung Gear VR,etc coming out. And since we're going to be using our phones as a display (which will be very close), it'll be a prudent decision to buy a phone with very high ppi. As for not needing a high ppi display in day to day activities.... Progress should be encouraged. If we believed that the Bullock car was enough, we would've never invented the aeroplane

I would like to see it as an option rather than forced, if I buy the first 4k phone I would want everything in 4k. But 1080p is good enough most of the time so why not have an option so everyone is happy?

I find it funny that alot of people actually hate Sony phones (im in london). I only know a few people with one. I have a z3 compact. Me and everyone i know who have one simply love them.

There is simply no faults in hardware or software. Their design and build quality are superb. their apps (launcher, camera, walkman, etc) are also so fcking good when compared to other branded apps.

From now on, i'm only getting sony phones