It is just a matter of time...

Bloodyvalley

One day, some terrorist will blow up a plane engine using a drone

It is so easy... It literally costs under $1000 to get a drone capable of disabling a plane that costs upwards of $50 million.

I have always thought this ever since the first incident, but I just wanted to voice my prediction. It WILL happen, that, I assure you. Honestly I dont even see a way to prevent this kind of thing.

hell you can even go as far as strapping a bomb onto the drone and blowing it up in public... drones are a real threat guys

Whats stopping a rc plane? rc helicopter?

i could kill someone o the road with my 200$ rc helicopter......

its probbly not effeincet enough for terrorists to use 

great

you just gave the terrorists another idea.

ffs.

Range, i would've thought.

Range, i would've thought.

good ones can go pretty far

Hell, catch it on take-off and being in the right location, you could stop one of those fuckers with a stone.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

good ones can go pretty far

I don't know about many $1000 drones that can reach 39,000 feet, and certainly none that could accurately be controlled to fly into a plane engine that's traveling at 800+ km/h at said altitude.

^^

I don't even think good ones could manage that  ;)

I don't know about many $1000 drones that can reach 39,000 feet, and certainly none that could accurately be controlled to fly into a plane engine that's traveling at 800+ km/h at said altitude.

You target the plane on takeoff/landing (ideally take off).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

anyone wanna help me build a drone, and they live near an airport?

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

^^

I don't even think good ones could manage that  ;)

pretty much this.

Can't happen until they can get it up there.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

i think landing would cause more damage 

when the plane lands you put it in

an rc helicopter is different from a drone

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Then the damage done would be minimal... Taking out a planes engine, doesn't just mean the entire thing goes bye bye. Taking it out in flight, yes, but at take off or landing, there wouldn't be any point. 

I believe most can reach stupid high altitudes, and its more of a signal range limitation and battery limitation. but good luck being able to pilot it into the engine. Bird strikes are rare, and there is a hella lot more birds then quads

i think landing would cause more damage

Take off would be better (I think), landing the plane is already direct at the runway and/or has the height/speed necessary to maneuver. On take off, the plane has just enough speed to get off the ground and is still building height/speed -- i.e. it probably doesn't have the ability to circle around for a landing approach.

Then the damage done would be minimal... Taking out a planes engine, doesn't just mean the entire thing goes bye bye. Taking it out in flight, yes, but at take off or landing, there wouldn't be any point.

At landing it wouldn't be very effective (assuming you have a half decent pilot), take off on the other hand is a bit different.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

as if they didnt already know

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW?

ARE YOU A TERRORIST?

ALLLAH AKBAR!

would cost the company millions to repair

I believe most can reach stupid high altitudes, and its more of a signal range limitation and battery limitation. but good luck being able to pilot it into the engine. Bird strikes are rare, and there is a hella lot more birds then quads

thats because birds arent stupid

do remember that quadcopters have cameras so you can be really far away and pilot it