It is just a matter of time...

Bloodyvalley

think of this, for some reason terrorists are very handy and can get quite a bit of things for the limited amount they usually have, so i see no reason why terrorists wont be able to get or build one that can get high enough to one

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Take off would be better (I think), landing the plane is already direct at the runway and/or has the height/speed necessary to maneuver. On take off, the plane has just enough speed to get off the ground and is still building height/speed -- i.e. it probably doesn't have the ability to circle around for a landing approach.

At landing it wouldn't be very effective (assuming you have a half decent pilot), take off on the other hand is a bit different.

true i thought landing cause gravity xD its already going down.

Take off would be better (I think), landing the plane is already direct at the runway and/or has the height/speed necessary to maneuver. On take off, the plane has just enough speed to get off the ground and is still building height/speed -- i.e. it probably doesn't have the ability to circle around for a landing approach.

At landing it wouldn't be very effective (assuming you have a half decent pilot), take off on the other hand is a bit different.

agreed, the engine is going as fast as it can (full throttle) as opposed to landing when they reduce the speed but the damage would still be done

Stop giving these terrorists ideas :P

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't live anywhere that planes fly overhead (at less than their desired altitude), or by an airport. Not concerned :P lol

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't live anywhere that planes fly overhead (at less than their desired altitude), or by an airport. Not concerned :P lol

which part are you?

where i live i see 10+ planes a day fly over to  the the airport in the D

I believe most can reach stupid high altitudes, and its more of a signal range limitation and battery limitation. but good luck being able to pilot it into the engine. Bird strikes are rare, and there is a hella lot more birds then quads

It doesn't matter what limitation means it can't reach 39,000 feet, the fact is that it can't.

It doesn't matter what limitation means it can't reach 39,000 feet, the fact is that it can't.

takeoff or landing buddy

Range, i would've thought.

They use the same radio systems

You can also fly a rc heli or plane km away perfectly fine, as long as you can see it

^^

I don't even think good ones could manage that  ;)

Yeah no drone can fly that far and fast, but when a plane is landing or taking off putting it in front would cause a problem

an rc helicopter is different from a drone

yeah its faster and more maneuverable

if people wanted to destroy planes they would use an rc plane or helicopter, not a multicopter "drone"

I believe most can reach stupid high altitudes, and its more of a signal range limitation and battery limitation. but good luck being able to pilot it into the engine. Bird strikes are rare, and there is a hella lot more birds then quads

a rc plane or helicopter would still be far better than a drone

and plane engines are tested by throwing birds inside so I doubt you could make a plane crash with a rc vehicle

the worst you could to is make it do an emergency landing

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

hmmm get the drone to stick to the plan on the ground then detonate it in the air xD?

would need some seroues sklil to be unnoticed tho 

Consumer drones and quadcopters can't even get close to the altitudes a passenger plane would be flying at. The turbines on those planes are also likely not to suffer significant damage from something that small and fragile, they'd probably just shred it to dust. Either way this sort of thing could be prevented by applying some sort of grill in front of the turbines. Also, airport security is pretty tight usually, any ufo would be shot down before it could get close to a landing or taking off plane.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

the air is so thin that high propellers would not be efficient enough hense why we use turbines now...

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

would cost the company millions to repair

thats because birds arent stupid

do remember that quadcopters have cameras so you can be really far away and pilot it

actually the cost would only be a few thousand to repair one engine

all it would do is damage some of the blades

and you can put cameras on rc helicopters and planes which are way faster than drones and much more maneuverable

if someone wanted to take out a plane engine they would use a rc heli or plane, not a multicopter drone

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

if i were to take a plane down, i would invest in a laser turret. 

some random terrorist could also strap a remote controlled bomb onto a drone

drones are a threat to everyone

which is why i think they should be illegal

Consumer drones and quadcopters can't even get close to the altitudes a passenger plane would be flying at. The turbines on those planes are also likely not to suffer significant damage from something that small and fragile, they'd probably just shred it to dust. Either way this sort of thing could be prevented by applying some sort of grill in front of the turbines. Also, airport security is pretty tight usually, any ufo would be shot down before it could get close to a landing or taking off plane.

you cant add a grill in front of a turbine because it disrupt the airflow and can cause a stall.

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

They use the same radio systems

You can also fly a rc heli or plane km away perfectly fine, as long as you can see it

Yeah no drone can fly that far and fast, but when a plane is landing or taking off putting it in front would cause a problem

yeah its faster and more maneuverable

if people wanted to destroy planes they would use an rc plane or helicopter, not a multicopter "drone"

a rc plane or helicopter would still be far better than a drone

and plane engines are tested by throwing birds inside so I doubt you could make a plane crash with a rc vehicle

the worst you could to is make it do an emergency landing

i was thinking more like a drone like this but significantly smaller https://www.google.com/search?q=drone&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoA2oVChMI2I78kMXTxwIVyBo-Ch14gADR&biw=1366&bih=643#tbm=isch&q=predator+drone

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

which part are you?

where i live i see 10+ planes a day fly over to  the the airport in the D

Well, I was referencing my Ohio location (hometown, Mich is college), but I'm over near GR. City called Muskegon when at school. Never seen a plane in the sky at a low enough altitude to be taken out by a drone/RC/anything but a missile.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

hmmm get the drone to stick to the plan on the ground then detonate it in the air xD?

would need some seroues sklil to be unnoticed tho 

there are more radars than planes in an airport. you'd need a military grade drone to go unnoticed for even a single second.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

there are more radars than planes in an airport. you'd need a military grade drone to go unnoticed for even a single second.

#Boeing can i borrow your laser turret 

some random terrorist could also strap a remote controlled bomb onto a drone

drones are a threat to everyone

which is why i think they should be illegal

In the united states that random terrorist has access to military grade weaponry without any problems. They can start shooting people on the street any time they want. I'd say drones are not the highest priority when it comes to preventing terror attacks. Most quadcopters can't even lift enough explosive to do serious damage.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

thats a military drone that costs millions...

the only feasible drone would be something professional hobby grade like this

spider-1_1382549379.jpg

Spoiler

I'm not so sure that an inexpensive drone would cause a significant engine failure if ingested into a modern turbofan. 

Rolls-Royce and GE both go through pretty significant efforts to ensure that these engines run after ingesting a huge amount of FOD. Most inexpensive drones are made of very cheap flimsy injection moldings, turbofan blades and housings on the other hand, are titanium; and rather large. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

drones can go unnoticed on radar because remember at low altitudes any radio object wont appear on radar

you cant add a grill in front of a turbine because it disrupt the airflow and can cause a stall.

I suppose it depends on the grill and the turbine. It wouldn't have to be very fine or thick, all it needs to do is keep out objects larger than 15x15 cm. I doubt something like that can seriously hinder the capabilities of a plane engine.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*