Certain Swedish high schools add 3 hours of eSports classes a week

novasae

More broken dreams to be made.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

playing games like dota and cs go are team based and very complex, getting students to work together in complex environments is usually a good thing, bonus points when it makes them think. and also students need to enjoy school, 3 hours a week of something most students will probably enjoy and engage in that has positive side effects will probably help in other areas.

schools need to stop being exam factories,

playing games like dota and cs go are team based and very complex, getting students to work together in complex environments is usually a good thing, bonus points when it makes them think. and also students need to enjoy school, 3 hours a week of something most students will probably enjoy and engage in that has positive side effects will probably help in other areas.

schools need to stop being exam factories,

Indeed. What's the old saying?

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy?"

Then again, the old farts of the world will undoubtedly say "PLAY FOOTBALL".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This all applies to these new gaming courses. The amount of people who will go pro is very small and people know this. Thats not the reason most people would take the class. They would take it for the structured environment (I hope it's structured), the ability to go on field trips to tournaments and face off against other people, the team work...

Thank you. Nobody is saying that all of these kids are going to become eSports stars and win a $14m Dota prize pool. Just like how nobody else is saying that everyone who plays the cornerback position in football is going to become Richard Sherman and appear on the cover of Madden. Or play in a band and become the next Mozart. 

What is this supposed to teach kids? Fucking teamwork. So many knee jerk reactions against this just because its a "game". Also it isn't mandatory.

The school is just offering another subject the the students can CHOOSE for themselves. 

You guys pretty much take for granted the flexibility of the education system in your area. Peeps make exercising a big deal but they don't realise you 

can do physical activities after school too without much effort. Why is it that you only have to do it in school if its so important? 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who values such qualities. It's really tough, nigh on impossible, to teach someone how to be determined, how to work well under pressure, how to work in a team. These traits are not taught but learned.

Well'p , gg for sweden then .

We Finns thought germans were creazy but NOOPE ,

looks like our neighbor is bat shit insaine .

Look , for me personally , Esports is a weird and akward subject .

i mean ESPORTS ISNT A REAL SPORT.

i grew up with knowing sports as somthing you get your ass up and do something like running and swimming sh*t.

dont get me wrong , i love video games and i play them to every bit ,

but we have to accept the fact that every thing is thisworld has its limitations , even in video games and in Real sports .

(⌐■_■) 

Seems really nice. Though kids should also learn that only a small percent of them actually might go professional. I personally don't have a issue with it, people accept gym classes, why not Esport too?

Gym class is about teaching kids the importance of physical activity.  You learn things like how to safely lift weights, exercises you can do and enjoying the many benefits that physical activity provides and learn to carry that into your life outside of school.  It directly benefits your health in school, and you learn things you can take with you the rest of your life.

eSports may work was a team exercise, I guess.   

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

they should add basic programming and networking skills, but knowing the swedes they probably already do. well variety is cool and it sounds like a sound idea for all of those kids who'd rather do this than sit on a bench waiting to be picked last for the (insert team sport here)-team. I sure hated school sport some times.

Well'p , gg for sweden then .

We Finns thought germans were creazy but NOOPE ,

looks like our neighbor is bat shit insaine .

Look , for me personally , Esports is a weird and akward subject .

i mean ESPORTS ISNT A REAL SPORT.

i grew up with knowing sports as somthing you get your ass up and do something like running and swimming sh*t.

dont get me wrong , i love video games and i play them to every bit ,

but we have to accept the fact that every thing is thisworld has its limitations , even in video games and in Real sports .

I believe that is why it has been given the name eSports rather than just sports. Similar to motorsports.

This is stupid like a lot of people pointed out, I love playing CSGO ( I have 1500+ in it ) but I think this is stupid, but if they made this like after school then it's cool because you know chess, checkers and other activities are after school.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I wonder how it'll be taught though. It would be pretty useless if it's just, "Here's an esports game, now go play for the entirety of the class". However if they teach it like an actual subject where they must learn, memorize, and make use of strategies and mechanics of the game I could see this working. Not just to get them better at the game, but to train their mind mentally in concentration, hand eye coordination, creativity, and socialization. And believe me if it's done this way the class would be MUCH less fun. Like a sports science class rather than a sports class.

Cheaper than buying actual paintball equipment... I've had my fair share of both and I say that this is a more cost-effective measure of shooting balls

This is so dumb..

I can see where you're coming from but disagree. E-sports is one of the fastest growing competitive sports on the planet at the moment. There is a lot of money to be made in them so why not teach kids the essentials to become pro? It's like saying making kids play football is dumb but a few can get onto the pro scene. Why should e-sports be any different ?

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

That's physical activity to keep your healthy, this is just a waste of time.

PE is a waste of time for people that hate it. If they hate it they wont put 100% into the sports and wont help keep them healthy I think it's useless because my school is kind I can do Extra 1-2-1 maths which would help me in life because this i became from crap at maths to good at maths if i continued with PE I would still be crap at maths

I keep fit outside of school by walking my dogs and going hiking which is what enjoy instead of that horrible chavy sport football

That's physical activity to keep your healthy, this is just a waste of time.

No it's not lmao, people use that logic to try and justify its implimentation, which imho, is fine, but not true. They were added into schools because students had original formed clubs to participate in these activities after classes together. It then followed that people wanted to be able to face other clubs from schools, and thus had to request assistance from the school for transportation etc.. So schools began to support clubs and turn them into optional activities.

Physical Education is completely different from E-Sports & Sports alike, just as it's optional to play sports, it's an optional way to structure your classes. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't received well, as above many people show it's not, however what it will do, which everyone on this website (ftmp) will be fine with, is push for the acceptance of e-sports clubs or teams at schools.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can see where you're coming from but disagree. E-sports is one of the fastest growing competitive sports on the planet at the moment. There is a lot of money to be made in them so why not teach kids the essentials to become pro? It's like saying making kids play football is dumb but a few can get onto the pro scene. Why should e-sports be any different ?

Your health is important, video games are not.

PE is a waste of time for people that hate it. If they hate it they wont put 100% into the sports and wont help keep them healthy I think it's useless because my school is kind I can do Extra 1-2-1 maths which would help me in life because this i became from crap at maths to good at maths if i continued with PE I would still be crap at mathsI keep fit outside of school by walking my dogs and going hiking which is what enjoy instead of that horrible chavy sport football

Gratz, your problem, not mine.

No it's not lmao, people use that logic to try and justify its implimentation, which imho, is fine, but not true. They were added into schools because students had original formed clubs to participate in these activities after classes together. It then followed that people wanted to be able to face other clubs from schools, and thus had to request assistance from the school for transportation etc.. So schools began to support clubs and turn them into optional activities.

Physical Education is completely different from E-Sports & Sports alike, just as it's optional to play sports, it's an optional way to structure your classes. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't received well, as above many people show it's not, however what it will do, which everyone on this website (ftmp) will be fine with, is push for the acceptance of e-sports clubs or teams at schools.

..k?

Your health is important, video games are not.

Gratz, your problem, not mine.

..k?

What about my comparison to band? Band takes up time during school and after school.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

What about my comparison to band? Band takes up time during school and after school.

Don't see it, don't know, don't see too much of a point to band.