Experiences with non-techies

I am a field supervisor at time warner cable. So when customers are upset I roll out to fix and address any concerns they may have. With that said, i went to an upset customer's house. she was upset because she didnt want the technician to make any holes in the walls. I explained to her the processes for installing internet throughout her house. She looked at me and said, "Well, they had told me it was going to be Wireless. So I want to see no wires at all!" :lol:

A teacher at school said the most epic thing ever

WIFI SIGNALS TRAVEL IN A STRAIGHT LINE BETWEEN YOUR PC AND YOUR ROUTER

IF YOU DONT STAND ON THAT LINE YOU DONT GET RADIOACTIVITY

(yes radioactivity)

(yes i was the only one laughing in class thats sad)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

(yes radioactivity)

So much wrong

I hope that wasn't a physics teacher.

(yes radioactivity)

aw damn it, I wanted to add the pic of the teacher with a face down monitor because she doesn't know how to put it to sleep but I can't find it...

Please add it if you can, I will give you a virtual cookie.....

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

So much wrong

I hope that wasn't a physics teacher.

*Le interview with le principal* So, uh let me go through your resume here.... yes I see here that you graduated from the school of LAUGHIN' JOKIN' NUMBNUTS!!!!! And I'll hire you because...I TOO GRADUATED FROM THE SCHOOL OF LAUGHIN' JOKIN' NUMBNUTS!! 

EDIT:post-85188-0-94196400-1414467185.jpg

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

*Le interview with le principal* So, uh let me go through your resume here.... yes I see here that you graduated from the school of LAUGHIN' JOKIN' NUMBNUTS!!!!! And I'll hire you because...I TOO GRADUATED FROM THE SCHOOL OF LAUGHIN' JOKIN' NUMBNUTS!! 

EDIT:attachicon.gifimages.jpg

whoa... where is the LJN school located? I want to learn on how to make shitty games (YES I KNOW LJN IS A PUBLISHER and they don't literally make games but..... but... xD you win...)

btw.

I was called by my English teacher to fix his printer...... turns out that there was no ink inside the printer and the fun part is "his way of putting ink into the printer" is to open the ink cartridge and spill the ink inside the printer.... GG printer..

Case: NZXT H440     CPU: Intel core i7-4790k    RAM: 2x G.Skill ripjaws 4gb 1600mhz   GPU: Soon   CPU Cooler: Stock (will buy a decent one soon)     PSU: CM V650 80+ gold PSU.

Good lord... The experiences I had today were just.....(*common white girl voice) I can't even.

So, in grammar class, my long-term sub couldn't get the projector to work. So, the CS kid (the one I talked about earlier) and another kid went up to try and fix it. I got bored, so I went up to try to help them. How were they trying to fix it you might ask? They were repeatedly turning the projector on and then off again for 5 whole minutes. That's it. So I go over, and look around to see if any cables might not be plugged in. CS kid points to a stray *ETHERNET* cable and says "Plug this in. Since it's not plugged in its not working!" Just.....no. I fixed it in under a minute needles to say, there was one that needed to be pressed, I can't remember what, but it was pretty obvious.

Later during lunch my super rich friend (he is in the 89% of highest earning families in America-he keeps complaining that he is not in the 90% or up because then he would be *incoming Linus joke* dumb rich. Anyways he says he wants to get a gaming computer. He's already got peripherals from razer (the mmo mouse with like 12 buttons on the side, black widow keyboard, kraken) but wants a laptop/desktop. I go with the automatic "what's your budget, I help you build a kickass potato skinner" line. He says its $1,100-1,500 which is pretty damn good. If he got a laptop he said it would probably be Asus because "alienware are shit" (lookin damn good here-he is not a lost cause). I suggested looking at a few MSI laptops too so his like okay.

At this point the non techie-ness begins. Some other kid (a dirty console peasant btw) says that "Alienwares are not shit they run all games with 'no lag' and are the best computers ever." Well fuck me sideways I have finally experienced an alienware fanboy. Sweet Lordy was he stubborn 'bout this. Even super rich friend was all like "Alienwares are over priced pos"

Sorry about the bad grammar/sentence composition, I had a metric crapton^3 of writing homework tonight and it's pretty late for me. (10:30).

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

My Mum's PC that I built for her (basically just a media machine) started blue screening and playing up... So the system had so much dust inside that idle temps were 60 degrees and she was blaming me for all this stuff / getting angry... She also had multiple virus's and malware... I don't understand how people can have so much crap on their HDD.

My Sister was in the same boat with her laptop. It was just full of dust and overheating as she puts it on her bed..... She almost bought a new laptop but lucky enough I got to her first. I cleaned out her parts and did a fresh re-install of Windows and it's good as new..... Ugh, I'd hate to wonder how many people just buy new Computers because their current one has gone "slow"...

My Mum's PC that I built for her (basically just a media machine) started blue screening and playing up... So the system had so much dust inside that idle temps were 60 degrees and she was blaming me for all this stuff / getting angry... She also had multiple virus's and malware... I don't understand how people can have so much crap on their HDD.

My Sister was in the same boat with her laptop. It was just full of dust and overheating as she puts it on her bed..... She almost bought a new laptop but lucky enough I got to her first. I cleaned out her parts and did a fresh re-install of Windows and it's good as new..... Ugh, I'd hate to wonder how many people just buy new Computers because their current one has gone "slow"...

Probably more than how many you'd imagine...

A story from my uncle in Italy told me that some of them would just throw out a new-ish PC for being slow... A part of me wants to get my arsch over there and start scavenging for parts to sell back here...

Well... If nothing else, that's cheap desktop / laptop computers / computer parts for you to use, sell, or just to do whatever you want with them. My grandmother bought herself a new laptop just because the older one "had a virus that made it unusable"; turns out it was just a single trojan, removed it, and got the laptop for free.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Helping my dad pick out a new Android phone (breaking him out of Apple):

Me: yeah, so I think you'll be happy with the One M8...
Dad: Okay, but did anyone else have any suggestions?
Me: Well, what about the Sony Xperia Z3?
Dad: No, absolutely not.
Me: Why not?
Dad: I'm not putting my money into Sony.
Me (bemused and honestly a bit miffed): ...why?
Dad: Well, because they've lost the plot, just like Nokia!
Me: ... have you actually researched any of their phones...? Do you actually know anything about their phone market and how well their phones are selling?
Dad: Well, no, actually, I haven't...

I'm sorry, I know that he's my dad, but... people who judge a company's product of one department based on another without actually knowing anything about said products just absolutely piss me off...

CS kid points to a stray *ETHERNET* cable and says "Plug this in. Since it's not plugged in its not working!" 

To try and save poor little CS kid I'll go as far as to say this: most modern projectors do have an ethernet port on the back and it's a legitimate method of sending a video signal, though normally used in more of a business setting or over a long distance or whatever. He might not know what he's doing but if the situation was ever-so slightly different he'd have been inadvertently right.

So I had two experiences today, the first is best summed up by this post:

when the teacher played a dvd and left the mouse in the video payer the entire movie; totally ruined the movie for me

Yeah, that happened...

The second involves a little story.

After school today the school newspaper team met up to discuss the next issue. I was writing my article and a friend of mine who will be known as SLG (Sister's Laptop Girl) was doing her own share of research for her article on her sister's laptop.

SLG: What is with all these popups?

Silently praying that it wasn't what I thought it was, I went over and investigated. Sure enough, my worst fears were confirmed: viruses and malware. The web browser was open to a tab with several popups saying things such as "Gmail has been hacked, protect yourself here!" before the page redirected itself to google.

Me: You have viruses or malware on there, let me take a look.

SLG: It's my sister's laptop, don't do anything!

Me: I won't break anything, you know that I know what I'm doing.

SLG: Okay, fine. *hands laptop over*

Me: Do you even have antivirus on here?

SLG: Yeah, we pay for it.

I did my best to avoid facepalming at the fact that her family is actually paying for antivirus and checked the icons. As it turns out, there was an antivirus running: NORTON

Me: Norton is a terrible antivirus. There are much better free alternatives out there like Avast or AVG.

So anyway, after some (about 10 minutes) back and forth bickering and her absolutely refusing to let me uninstall Norton or even disable it and install something else, I settled for the only remaining option: doing a full scan using the piece of crap commonly known as Norton.

It found 49 viruses in the first 20 minutes of the scan... and the last scan was only 2 days ago...

I don't know how people manage to get viruses that quickly, but they do.

And yes, Nortonofcrap had been running live protection the entire time.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

To try and save poor little CS kid I'll go as far as to say this: most modern projectors do have an ethernet port on the back and it's a legitimate method of sending a video signal, though normally used in more of a business setting or over a long distance or whatever. He might not know what he's doing but if the situation was ever-so slightly different he'd have been inadvertently right.

That's a good point buuuut.......it was just a random Ethernet cable lying on a desk.

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

Yeah, that happened...

After school today the school newspaper team met up to discuss the next issue. I was writing my article and a friend of mine who will be known as SLG (Sister's Laptop Girl) was doing her own share of research for her article on her sister's laptop.

Silently praying that it wasn't what I thought it was, I went over and investigated. Sure enough, my worst fears were confirmed: viruses and malware. The web browser was open to a tab with several popups saying things such as "Gmail has been hacked, protect yourself here!" before the page redirected itself to google.

I did my best to avoid facepalming at the fact that her family is actually paying for antivirus and checked the icons. As it turns out, there was an antivirus running: NORTON

Me: Norton is a terrible antivirus. There are much better free alternatives out there like Avast or AVG.

So anyway, after some (about 10 minutes) back and forth bickering and her absolutely refusing to let me uninstall Norton or even disable it and install something else, I settled for the only remaining option: doing a full scan using the piece of crap commonly known as Norton.

It found 49 viruses in the first 20 minutes of the scan... and the last scan was only 2 days ago...

a fresh reformat is like a breath of fresh air x1000

a fresh reformat is like a breath of fresh air x1000

If only I could have convinced her to let me do that, but if I couldn't manage to convince her to simply disable Norton to install AVG or Avast there is no way I could have convinced her to let me do a fresh install. 

Everyday users: stubborn and impulsive, but refuse to learn how to fix things when they break them.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

If only I could have convinced her to let me do that, but if I couldn't manage to convince her to simply disable Norton to install AVG or Avast there is no way I could have convinced her to let me do a fresh install.

Everyday users: stubborn and impulsive, but refuse to learn how to fix things when they break them.

just make a partition and save all her crappy data to it and then nothing will be lost

Yeah, that happened...

There was a short period of time where Norton was actually decent and a big thing it had was great customer service. Now it's all sh*t. My Dad uses it. 

Oh don't worry, he also uses Avast free beside it!

And McAfee.

And Firefox with some no-duh-that's-a-virus-you-twat stuff on it.

I want to factory install Windows on that poor Dell. I want to take it in. Like a puppy....

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

install Linux and never crash again

I hate when they do that

and when they don't make it full screen / leave it in windowed mode so only part of the screen has the video in it.

People thinking that downloadram.com is legit. :'(

wait what! its not legit??

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx