Experiences with non-techies

wait what! its not legit??

Sadly not.

Brony for LIFE!!!

/)^3^(\ RD FTW
Daily carry: HTC one M8, pebbe steel PBD, nexus 7 2013

I just figured out that you can very easily bypass the securit system on my school's wifi network and watch YouTube videos on the network itself. It is actually incredibly easy and I'm surprised that the lock doesn't hold up when I tried it. The only thing that is blocked on the network itself is youtube's homepage.

Something, something, something, famous quote, computer specs, and stuff...

I just figured out that you can very easily bypass the securit system on my school's wifi network and watch YouTube videos on the network itself. It is actually incredibly easy and I'm surprised that the lock doesn't hold up when I tried it. The only thing that is blocked on the network itself is youtube's homepage.

Lucky, every time I google, "proxy" it locks up my account.. xD

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

When someone said they are getting 2TB of ram.

-BUILD-

CPU: INTEL I5 4690K GRAPHICS CARD: GIGABYTE 970 G1 2.5GB CASE: NZXT S340|BLACK MOBO: MSI Z97S KRAIT EDITION CPU COOLER: CORSAIR H100i 

RAM: HYPERX FURY 2X4GB|WHITE PSU: CORSAIR RM850 850W FULLY MODULAR STORAGE: 1TB WD BLUE HDD OS: WINDOWS 8.1

use tor proxy installed on a browser on a USB

Everyone in my school has the thought that TOR is used for hackers and has "hacker tools" with tons of malware to break through passwords.. Saying it is from a government website and it's used for the NSA to spy on you..

Where the fuck are they hearing this from???

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

^ Same for me. Just type in https:// in front of a url and boom you're in. Like with you, the only things that are blocked are home pages with exceptions being stuff that have things that would be blocked in the page name. 

^ Same for me. Just type in https:// in front of a url and boom you're in. Like with you, the only things that are blocked are home pages with exceptions being stuff that have things that would be blocked in the page name.

I can't do that.. :( I get locked out if I do it more than three times.. They also finally got rid of task manager this year with Ctrl+Shift+Esc.. They also took refreshing Web pages with F5 for no reason.. Wtf

Spoiler

Spoiler

Everyone in my school has the thought that TOR is used for hackers and has "hacker tools" with tons of malware to break through passwords.. Saying it is from a government website and it's used for the NSA to spy on you..

tor started as a military internet encryption system

it is secure enough but I'm sure there are ways to bypass it if you are in the government

I can't do that.. :( I get locked out if I do it more than three times.. They also finally got rid of task manager this year with Ctrl+Shift+Esc.. They also took refreshing Web pages with F5 for no reason.. Wtf

That sucks. The locking down of school computers stopped recently. Idk why. At least in the computer labs, control panel is completely accessable, system config is fine and I can fuck with the settings all I like. The stuff with blocking F5 is really dumb. I guess that your school's tech people thought that anything having to do with the F keys was hacking and must be blocked.

When people think Wireless connections are faster then corded ones. 

Well my wifi connection isnt any faster than my sister's wired connection...

Lucky, every time I google, "proxy" it locks up my account.. xD

Yeah I guess I am kinda lucky that way.

I'm actually on mobile and found a way to use a third party app to acces it. It is a surprisingly easy workaround. But the two methods, yours and mine, are very similar. I don't want to post how to do it here because I'm still on the network where I figured it out.

That sucks. The locking down of school computers stopped recently. Idk why. At least in the computer labs, control panel is completely accessable, system config is fine and I can fuck with the settings all I like. The stuff with blocking F5 is really dumb. I guess that your school's tech people thought that anything having to do with the F keys was hacking and must be blocked.

They haven't blocked MSCONFIG, regedit, and dxdiag... Fail. Now I know they're running crappy Athlon x2 B22's with integrated Radeon HD 4200 series GPUs... They say the computers are top of the line with their coil wine fans, 10-20 minute boot times, and lag 24/7.. That is what you get for running old hardware on a pirated Windows 7 Professional 64bit with 2-4GB of RAM.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I just like the 'tons of malware to break through passwords bit' - yes, definitely. Tor has tools with malware on them. G friggin G.

I just like the 'tons of malware to break through passwords bit' - yes, definitely. Tor has tools with malware on them. G friggin G.

Lol, is it sad my school uses a poor script to block ads causing tons of broken sites instead of adblock and hiding adblock from the user?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Lol, is it sad my school uses a poor script to block ads causing tons of broken sites instead of adblock and hiding adblock from the user?

Microsoft windows was a poor choise of OS for many schools to adopt. linux runs wayyyy better in massive local network not to mention its free

They haven't blocked MSCONFIG, regedit, and dxdiag... Fail. Now I know they're running crappy Athlon x2 B22's with integrated Radeon HD 4200 series GPUs... They say the computers are top of the line with their coil wine fans, 10-20 minute boot times, and lag 24/7.. That is what you get for running old hardware on a pirated Windows 7 Professional 64bit with 2-4GB of RAM.

Wow. They need to fix their shit. We don't have access to control panel but most have the CPU sticker still on the case and the teacher accounts do have access to a lot of settings. Plus in Windows Explorer it lists your ram somewhere at the bottom. Ours run Sandy/Ivy Pentiums (dual core) or a Core something (wasn't an i3/5/7) for the Music Tech comps, and have 1-2GB ram, integrated Intel graphics and lovely almostminute boot times (enough so that going to turn on the computers was a 'break it up' task in my GCSE DT lessons and would fill the gap after going through homework and before being explained the next task) with even lovlier cansometimesbeoveraminute login times thanks to the login server and profile stuff.

School is using 10/100 connections internally - even across from one building to another - and it really shows with file transfers taking a fairly long time, and the fileserver in the expressive arts building struggles with almost any workload to the point of data being sent quicker from the student drive located at the opposite end of the school to the computer in the music tech room than from the ex arts drive located about 10m away in the staff room in the ex arts building.

Cubase was struggling to buffer enough of the audio files we were using (with just one of us connected) when loaded from the ex arts drive and the sound would keep dropping out, yet when played from the student drive way at the other side of the school, Cubase managed fine. And here's the worst of it - that student drive is almost 24/7 written to and read from. Just shows that the school don't invest technology in the right proportions.

Microsoft windows was a poor choise of OS for many schools to adopt. linux runs wayyyy better in massive local network not to mention its free

I think the main problems are familiarity (people notice small differences), lack of MS Office and what parents think. My school has Libreoffice and back when it was OpenOffice they used to encourage the use of it. However, people wouldn't budge from MS Office so that project failed. As for the parents thing, I know that some would be ringing up asking why the school hasn't got 'correct' or 'the best' stuff for their child and why they're using 'free' stuff and all that. Parents are often idiots when it comes to that.

I think the main problems are familiarity (people notice small differences), lack of MS Office and what parents think. My school has Libreoffice and back when it was OpenOffice they used to encourage the use of it. However, people wouldn't budge from MS Office so that project failed. As for the parents thing, I know that some would be ringing up asking why the school hasn't got 'correct' or 'the best' stuff for their child and why they're using 'free' stuff and all that. Parents are often idiots when it comes to that.

I tried encouraging everyone I know to switch to FOSS (free and open source software)... I failed... It's the familiarity with the software...

Doing things in Microsoft software is ingrained into our computer education curriculum (at least in the basic education level) without even touching on FOSS equivalents...

College is a bit different with almost everyone running FOSS with the exception of those who need the proprietary software...

LMAO! that is awesome. never seen that before. I gotta send that to a couple ppl.

Nobody mentioned you can download more processing power???? BLASTPHEMY!! http://downloadmoreghz.com/

Rose's are red violets are blue, without computers I'd know not what to do.

Nobody mentioned you can download more processing power???? BLASTPHEMY!! http://downloadmoreghz.com/

It faking works!

forced pun intended