Experiences with non-techies

I tried encouraging everyone I know to switch to FOSS (free and open source software)... I failed... It's the familiarity with the software...

Doing things in Microsoft software is ingrained into our computer education curriculum (at least in the basic education level) without even touching on FOSS equivalents...

College is a bit different with almost everyone running FOSS with the exception of those who need the proprietary software...

To be honest with the Microsoft stuff it's not so bad. I really like Microsoft's software and as long as I can continue to get it free or at low cost (legally - through school and next year Uni) I will continue to use it. However I find it's very easy to switch to other stuff, for example LibreOffice (which I use on my Gaming PC) or Google Docs/Sheets etc (which I use in conjunction with Microsoft Office on my MacBook for when I need to access stuff on multiple devices). Both LibreOffice and Google Apps use Microsoft's style and have similar or the same features, shortcuts etc. (to the point where I think I can safely refer to them collectively as "Microsoft clones" from now on) so I haven't really needed to learn anything. Maybe with some people who don't pick up tech stuff as intuitively it would be a little harder, but certainly far from impossible.

However, when it comes to Apple stuff, it's night and day. We have to use MacBooks for school, so as a result we all have the iWork suite (although we were also given Office for Mac, due to familiarity etc.). Don't get me wrong - iWork's "Microsoft Equivalents" are actually really good too - I have a number of actual "techie" friends who are into Windows, PC Gaming etc. (two custom their PCs, one of them even has their MacBook dual booted with Linux... so you get the drill) who have switched to Pages/Keynote etc. and basically think along the lines of "Apple for my school stuff, Microsoft for my gaming stuff". I actually find my MacBook a lot more pleasant for doing school work too, but man, I tried switching to Pages and it's sooooo different. Keynote isn't so bad, but I decided I was wasting too much time in trying to switch to Pages so I've gone to Microsoft + "clones". But I feel for anyone already on Pages who is forced to switch to Microsoft or a "clone", they won't be able to.

-snippy-

I have nothing against MS software... I only want to introduce them to ways they can save on money without much compromise... FOSS equivalents can cover pretty much most needs of your standard user... There's this culture of piracy here and by introducing them to FOSS, I try and help curb the problem...

Being locked to Apple by your school kinda sucks imo since it takes some freedom away... However it's a nice excuse to get an Apple product..

I did my best to avoid facepalming at the fact that her family is actually paying for antivirus and checked the icons. As it turns out, there was an antivirus running: NORTON

Me: Norton is a terrible antivirus. There are much better free alternatives out there like Avast or AVG.

You realise that is not true yeah?

While free antivus programs are great and do a fantastic job, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a paid internet protection, and nothing that wrong with norton or mcafee, especially for novice computer users that are more likely to get infected

Have a look at the tests from AVTest.org

http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Doing things in Microsoft software is ingrained into our computer education curriculum (at least in the basic education level)

Too true.  When I did my ECDL +ECDL Advanced https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Computer_Driving_Licence[1],  though it is supposed to be platform agnostic it was VERY MUCH tailored towards MS office (right down to the press this then this icon will appear type examples).

[1] Can't complian too much, as the course was free as part of an adult education course. most picked pottery or painting I chose computing.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I have nothing against MS software... I only want to introduce them to ways they can save on money without much compromise... FOSS equivalents can cover pretty much most needs of your standard user... There's this culture of piracy here and by introducing them to FOSS, I try and help curb the problem...

Being locked to Apple by your school kinda sucks imo since it takes some freedom away... However it's a nice excuse to get an Apple product..

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to sound like I thought you had some sort of "hate" of Microsoft Office, I just meant to point out that switching from MS to FOSS is usually not that bad, whereas Apple is a bit more different.

You make a fair point though, there's no point in people pirating stuff when they can do pretty much whatever they want with FOSS stuff... and the only reason they don't use that stuff is probably because a) they don't know about it, b ) they haven't bothered to try it and don't realise how similar/good it is or c) they assume free=virus scam thing

This thread is so big xD

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

- snip -

I've never used iWork, but I do like the look of it and if I had to or had the money to switch to using a Macbook for school/uni-related stuff then I'd give it a good go. Since I'm hopefully going to do a music-based course at Uni I reckon there'll be a lot of Macs floating around (provided it's a well-funded uni). I'm pro-Linux but my school's insistence on MS stuff and there being no easy way to work with Publisher files on Linux combined with games like Skyrim being Windows-only led me to dual-boot and eventually neglect using Linux. As soon as there's a big enough gaming platform and I don't have to use Publisher files anymore I'll happily switch back. Linux for home/gaming use (when optimised it's hella faster for gaming) and potentially OSX for uni/music.

Buying parts for my PC with my Dad (who's not actually that bad with computers, he uses Cobol in his job) yesterday, he was totalling up prices from different websites to make sure I didn't go past my budget:

Dad: "Okay, Scan. Uh, Graphics Card, fan -"

Me: "Power Supply, Dad"

Dad: "Oh, right, sorry, I couldn't read it properly, it said fan right there. [actually legit mistake apart from the fact that there's a huge picture of a power supply] Uh, what's that? *squints* Oh, the processor."

At this point I had to try hard not to burst out in tears.

Me: "Yeah, Dad, that's the motherboard."

how can you not tell the difference between a processor and a mobo? They are 2 completely different sizes!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

You realise that is not true yeah?

While free antivus programs are great and do a fantastic job, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a paid internet protection, and nothing that wrong with norton or mcafee, especially for novice computer users that are more likely to get infected

Have a look at the tests from AVTest.org

http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Norton pays sites/companies that do tests with their antivirus to make damn sure they don't look like sh*t next to good alternatives like Kaspersky and Avast.

Been through this with an ex-Norton employee. He said they also got paid by companies that make viruses/malware etc to have Norton never detect anything they've installed, IE: you can install PassShow, random toolbars etc and Norton will do nothing about them.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Is probably used to seeing the processor on the motherboard. Not that big of a stretch

how can you not tell the difference between a processor and a mobo? They are 2 completely different sizes!

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

Norton pays sites/companies that do tests with their antivirus to make damn sure they don't look like sh*t next to good alternatives like Kaspersky and Avast.

Been through this with an ex-Norton employee. He said they also got paid by companies that make viruses/malware etc to have Norton never detect anything they've installed, IE: you can install PassShow, random toolbars etc and Norton will do nothing about them.

I find it hard to believe they paid of a German laboratory.... AVTest are very highly regarded, sure its not gospel, but I would like to think their tests are trust worthy

besides if norton can do that, so can others, this making all reviews and tests NULL, 

I was just trying to stop the flow of bullshit you hear sometimes, when the facts and data are available to see, I spoke to many people working for loads of different security companies in my previous job, some of them were brutally honest about how good their products where..(I remember the Mcafee guy that came in was using Kaspersky on his personal computer and was not ashamed to admit he preferred it) arguably for stupid Joe Bloggs who wouldnt know what a fire wall was even if his house was on fire, having a more comprehensive paid security is not a bad idea, or a particularly expensive outlay

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I find it hard to believe they paid of a German laboratory.... AVTest are very highly regarded, sure its not gospel, but I would like to think their tests are trust worthy

besides if norton can do that, so can others, this making all reviews and tests NULL, 

I was just trying to stop the flow of bullshit you hear sometimes, when the facts and data are available to see

I did use Norton (paid version) for about 6 months (about a year ago). It wasn't awful for the first month or so I owned it. I then started to realize that, whenever I did a scan with Malwarebytes, it would ALWAYS find crap on there. Ever since I started using Avast free, I haven't had such an issue.

It's just sad to me that a free antivirus had better (personal) results for me than an expensive antivirus solution. I've also used Kaspersky (while I had my old iMac running W7 alongside Mountain Lion) and that was superb. Still money wasted cuz I could've been fine with just Avast but still, it goes to show that Norton is, well, terrible.

However, their customer service is the best of any company I've ever had to deal with. Call em up on Twitter and they can fix any problems you might have with their software. Can't get that from anybody else so far.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I did use Norton (paid version) for about 6 months (about a year ago). It wasn't awful for the first month or so I owned it. I then started to realize that, whenever I did a scan with Malwarebytes, it would ALWAYS find crap on there. Ever since I started using Avast free, I haven't had such an issue.

It's just sad to me that a free antivirus had better (personal) results for me than an expensive antivirus solution. I've also used Kaspersky (while I had my old iMac running W7 alongside Mountain Lion) and that was superb. Still money wasted cuz I could've been fine with just Avast but still, it goes to show that Norton is, well, terrible.

However, their customer service is the best of any company I've ever had to deal with. Call em up on Twitter and they can fix any problems you might have with their software. Can't get that from anybody else so far.

Yeah nothing is 100% proof, different software often find different things within different windows of time, and with varying degrees of accuracy, again I am talking more about the computer inept people that security is even more important for

I would argue having software that is 90% accurate but 100% easy to use with good support is mroe important than software that is 100% safe but impossible to use and there is no help desk (rather extreme example but you catch my drift)

(I speak from years of retail/service desk experience here dealing with completely retarded public not computer enthusiasts where I would recommend different)

My mom always has my school ipad accidentally and uses it almost constantly. I tell her "mom, that's my school I pad, it's running out of power, it's on 5%, plug it in" of course her response to this is use it until it runs out, call it a stupid piece of crap, them continue to do whatever on her newer, faster ipad. OMG! It really grinds my gears. Another thing she does all the time is ask me for help with it. I come over and hold my hand out to take a look at it for her. She yells "no" and starts hitting it on the side. I love my mom, but sometimes I want to slap her. The worst one of all... My science teacher got some gunk on his screen, I raised my had to say "I have screen wipes in my backpack for you, I could got get them" he said " no, those are over rated, check out what my son (who is 8 and thinks he is a tech prodigy) showed me to do" so he takes out isopropyl alcohol and I am surprisingly pleased... Then he sets it aside and goes for the windex. He sprays it wiped it off with a news paper.. Then runs it over water saying "don't worry it's water proof"... It wasn't water proof

Definition of programmer: someone who can consume copious amounts of caffeine; and crap out a master piece through their fingers

When people say big PC towers are irrelevant, and that they say our laptop or NUC performs just as good.. 

It's true when you're talking about low-end towers, 2 generations behind.

A friend recently dropped $1500+ on a new rig, newest i7, GTX 970, you know the drill.

Then an acquaintance of mine is looking into upgrading a pre-built he's had. Here's how my friend is dealing with it. I am Me, my acquaintance is A, then my friend is F.

A: I'm looking to upgrade my computer, do you have any suggestions?

F: Yeah, here's a pcpartpicker link: [$1500 build]

A: Uhh, that's a bit over budget...

*Later on in the week...*

F: Dude, you should get a 970. It can play GRID Autosport at 4K at 60 FPS!

A: Alright, but what about the processor?

F: Skimp down on everything you can in order to get the 970!

[The build he is settling on is essentially an FX-6300]

Me: Uhh, I'd overclock that, or try for an Intel i5...

F: Dude, the CPU doesn't matter.

Me: Yes it does...

F: Dude, you need to get the 970, though. All other cards will be obsolete now, and it'll be the only card to support DirectX 12!

Me: [Reminds him that it can work on Fermis]

F: Dude, no it can't! They can't run it! My 970 can play GRID on 4K at 60 FPS, need I say more?

F: A, you can come over to my house and I'll show you the difference between 1080p, 1440p, and 4K, then you can make a decision.

Me: With a single card setup, I wouldn't recommend 4K. Just stick with 1080, then DSR if you want. I use it on my 650 Ti and it works great.

F: Nope, only the 970 can run DSR, it says so on the box that it's exclusive to the 900 series!

Me: [Mentions press releases about it being supported to older cards in a driver update, which turned out to be true] ...I'm running it on my 650 Ti, even!

F: Nope...

And this guy influenced his build...

[witty signature]

Just saw this comment on Kotaku.

"I hate mechanical keyboard. Too noisy, and over time, slowly breaks your hands. I love smooth soft long-stroke keys."

Needless to say my face got reacquainted with my desk.

STOP using prime95 with Haswell CPUs!

Main Rig:

CPU:i5 4690k @ 4.6GHz, Motherboard:ASUS Z97-A, GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW, PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G1, CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M w/ Noctua NF F12s, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: 16GB (4X4GB) G Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz, Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 256GB boot drive & Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 2TB

Secondary/Folding Rig:

CPU:FX 8320 @ 4.6GHz @ 1.344 v., Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX, GPU: MSI R9 290 Gaming, PSU: Corsair HX 750, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Case: NZXT Source 530, Memory: 8GB (2X4GB) G Skill Ares 1600MHz, Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128GB

I am fine with people who do not understand tech and need help, it's the ones that don't understand tech and act as if you're wrong all the time. My uncle being one of them, he acts as if Iphones are the only way forward, denying anyone can do any damage to them in terms of 'hacking', or malware. Same goes for OSX in his opinion. He denies any other Android phone is even as close to as good as Iphones, if something is wrong with his laptop he runs to me to help, which is fun; until I tell him his HDD is screwed and he says he'll get his other mate to help as they know more. Makes me wana drink bleach, mixed with more bleach.

A funny note is when I was trying to teach my mum to use a PC, I said to open a new tab(assuming she at least knew this as she worked in an internet cafe for 2 years) and she presses the on/off button. Made me laugh for a good while.

Just saw this comment on Kotaku.

"I hate mechanical keyboard. Too noisy, and over time, slowly breaks your hands. I love smooth soft long-stroke keys."

Needless to say my face got reacquainted with my desk.

Remember that keyboards are a personal preference...

I personally hate Cherry MX Blues...

I don't think it's the not liking mechanical keyboards that's dumb, it's the reason behind it

"slowly breaks your hands"

?

I was more annoyed with how he thought all mechanical keyboards acted like mx blues.

STOP using prime95 with Haswell CPUs!

Main Rig:

CPU:i5 4690k @ 4.6GHz, Motherboard:ASUS Z97-A, GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW, PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G1, CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M w/ Noctua NF F12s, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: 16GB (4X4GB) G Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz, Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 256GB boot drive & Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 2TB

Secondary/Folding Rig:

CPU:FX 8320 @ 4.6GHz @ 1.344 v., Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX, GPU: MSI R9 290 Gaming, PSU: Corsair HX 750, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Case: NZXT Source 530, Memory: 8GB (2X4GB) G Skill Ares 1600MHz, Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128GB

I don't think it's the not liking mechanical keyboards that's dumb, it's the reason behind it

"slowly breaks your hands"

?

RSI from long key-travel and heavy switches man... He might be the type who bottoms out the keys...

Shallower keys are pretty nice if you're the type who likes to bottom out when pressing a key...

RSI from long key-travel and heavy switches man... He might be the type who bottoms out the keys...

Shallower keys are pretty nice if you're the type who likes to bottom out when pressing a key...

Yeah but he also says he likes "long stroke keys"...

Anyway it's not worth arguing about.

My grandma used a virus filled virus scanner and McAfee.. Thank god I removed those atrocious things on her computer.. It wouldn't let me install Adblock, Avast, AVG, but let me install MalwareBytes. Now she doesn't have IE (I replaced it with Firefox having Adblock), reinstalled her Chrome and put Adblock on that too. I wonder why the older ones are always clicking ads left and right.. :/

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.