Time Warner Cable's 97 Percent Profit Margin on High-Speed Internet Service Exposed

n-TIME-WARNER-CABLE-LOGO-large570.jpg

In case there was every any doubt as to the amount of income cable companies pull in, take a read at this article and be amazed at TWCs incomes and how they overcharge and try and charge for as many things as humanly possible. 

Its just amusing that they cry about how much building out their network would cost, yet their financials tell the whole market that they could easily afford it with how they charge their existing consumers (not to mention the tax breaks and incentives they get from the governments to build out infrastructure)

Ugh. ISPs are depressing. Take a read through the article as it has more information if you're curious about the numbers themselves and where they came from. 

Time Warner Cable supplies the 'average monthly revenue per unit' for "video" (cable TV), "high-speed data" (High-Speed Internet) and "voice" service; I.e., what customers are paying for these services to TWC. While I have no idea what 'customer relationships' are, we see that High-Speed Data's (Internet) average revenue was $43.92 for 2013, up from $39.66 in 2012. Note that the annual report explained that this increase was in part due to an "increase in equipment rental charges."

2015-02-02-TWcablerevenuepercustomer2013

Simply put: For Phone Service (Voice) 

• TWC charges the customer, on average, for Voice (phone) service --$34.40 
  • Minus 
  • It costs TWC to offer the Service --$8.94 
  • Equals-- The company makes $24.46 in profit per customer per month -- 74 percent.

Not bad, huh?

2015-02-02-timewarnercablecostofrevenue-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-kushnick/time-warner-cables-97-pro_b_6591916.html

urgh, why isit the telco/isp/cable providers all so disgusting

Scumbags

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

You would think that it would be in the best interest of the ISPs to go private so the public couldn't know how much they make and they could maintain this charade of "poor us network upgrades are so costly". I lived in an apartment complex that was only able to be serviced by TWC a couple years ago. I had 20 mg Internet and it was okay at first. Then after awhile I started to notice that the Internet would turn to shit after 7 PM and I would be unable to watch Netflix or Prime. After multiple complaints i determined that TWCs main station for the complex was unable to deal with the traffic that it's customers used as more people were cutting cable and using Hulu, Netflix, and Prime. After the third or forth complaint I made I got the tech on the phone to "suggest" the node at my complex was not ready for Internet in this century. Among other problems I realized that TWC could be the worst and most scumbag company I ever had to deal with in my life.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

Makes you realize how the industry would explode with competition if it were opened up. 

Also makes you realize how cheap internet SHOULD be if there was some competition

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

It makes me wonder the profit margin of my provider. I live out on the middle of no where and have a local provider since larger companies can't be bothered to provide service for my neighborhood.

You would think that it would be in the best interest of the ISPs to go private so the public couldn't know how much they make and they could maintain this charade of "poor us network upgrades are so costly". I lived in an apartment complex that was only able to be serviced by TWC a couple years ago. I had 20 mg Internet and it was okay at first. Then after awhile I started to notice that the Internet would turn to shit after 7 PM and I would be unable to watch Netflix or Prime. After multiple complaints i determined that TWCs main station for the complex was unable to deal with the traffic that it's customers used as more people were cutting cable and using Hulu, Netflix, and Prime. After the third or forth complaint I made I got the tech on the phone to "suggest" the node at my complex was not ready for Internet in this century. Among other problems I realized that TWC could be the worst and most scumbag company I ever had to deal with in my life.

i dont think isps would be allowed to be a private companies, 

while i agree that the us isps are taking the piss 74% profit is about the same as most of the service industry....if you knew how much that class of coke cost to make you wouldnt be that shocked

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I'm not even mad. I'm disappointed.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

-snip-

Time warner cable is the only company in my area to offer internet service. I pay $49.99 for 15mbps/1mbps and an extra $20 for the upgrade of 5mbps/.5mbps. I wish we had other isp's but nothing else I can do. Note: I live in a major city but TWC owns the rights to my area. This does not surprise me.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Every time I read about this crap, I feel like this

post-78731-0-49391700-1422919731.jpg

post-78731-0-49391700-1422919731.jpg

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

TWC owns the rights to my area

Rest in pepperonis.

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

They always raise their modem rental fee like every danm year.

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

C'mon, your kidding me right? 

What is apple profit margin????? Heck well were at it what's Samsung's on say something like an s5.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

C'mon, your kidding me right? 

What is apple profit margin????? Heck well were at it what's Samsung's on say something like an s5.

Apple isn't stifling net neutrality nor is Apple playing Russian Roulette with internet, TV and landline prices. Apple isn't creating monopolies by having exclusive service rights in regions. 

If TWC had Apples profit margins but they did some good like increasing fibre rollout and upping bandwidth caps, supporting net neutrality and not making services like Netflix PAY for speedy access; that would be okay. They aren't stifling the market AND they are making money. 

TWC isn't though. They are doing nothing to actually push forward the status of broadband in the US, they're not rolling out faster services despite having the capital (and government supplied rebates) to do so. 

I hate to rain on everyone's bashing parade, but this is gross revenues, not net profits. We don't see any cost analysis in here. It's a Huffington Post rage piece but the substance isn't all here. If we can get complete financial reports and actually analyze all sides of it then we can draw conclusions.

That said, TWC does have a stupid amount of capital which it should be using to upgrade equipment to IPV6 and increase speeds. 

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Apple isn't stifling net neutrality nor is Apple playing Russian Roulette with internet, TV and landline prices. Apple isn't creating monopolies by having exclusive service rights in regions. 

If TWC had Apples profit margins but they did some good like increasing fibre rollout and upping bandwidth caps, supporting net neutrality and not making services like Netflix PAY for speedy access; that would be okay. They aren't stifling the market AND they are making money. 

TWC isn't though. They are doing nothing to actually push forward the status of broadband in the US, they're not rolling out faster services despite having the capital (and government supplied rebates) to do so. 

To be fair TWC isn't "creating" monopolies, they have no power to do so, that is the bailiwick of the state. Bad actors will always exist, better they have no power, neh?

I'm not trying to compare Apples business model with Time Warners, they are clearly different. My post is in response to the shock factor the title imposes. Nothing more and nothing less. To me it seems as though the title made up and frankly the article just seems to be have been made not to inform the public but to outrage them instead, while neglecting to compare.
Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

it's really depressing to see at what speed we are solving these BIG issue when we have all the evidence that there is a problem 

Not surprising at all...

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

What is apple profit margin????? 

pretty much in the same range (percentage wise) as most other tech companies.

apple is still the biggest public traded company (almost twice as big as number 2)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log