What should I review next?

On 1/29/2015 at 3:24 AM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Just want some community feedback on this. Most of these things are already in the queue to some degree. Just trying to prioritize...

Huawei matebook x pro

Maybe Zenbook 14 pro (new model!)

Hi Linus! I am from China and I see this video form BiLiBiLi youtube “BIZARRE Intel Core i7 from CHINA for $100!! - YouTube” and I have a suggest for you next TaoBao buying “神舟小影霸魔龙GTX1080/1060” This is GTX1080/1060(notebook) to change a desktop GTX1080/1060 at GTX1080 you must use special nVidia drive.

On 11/6/2018 at 1:41 AM, peteregan said:

1: Interested to see what a Peltier heat pump ( thermoelectric cooler (TEC) ) cooling a cpu would do (with heatsink/watercolling block on top?)

2: Full review of POWER9 Cpu's and TALOS II motherboard from and how it compares to intel high end XEON PLATIMUNS you had running as these are INTEL POWERPC CORES and not X86_64 Architecture

Thanks P

I second this! I was looking into using TEC cooling on my new build and couldnt find enough info on it so I just stuck with liquid cooling.

The Beast:

i9 9900k (5.1Ghz all cores)
2080ti FE
32gb 2x16 trident z royal 3200c14
xi hero mobo
evga 1300 80+ gold
2x 1tb 970 pro
1tb 860 evo
6tb wd red
view 71 case

Custom loop (cpu & gpu)
420 & 360mm rads, ek water blocks.
asus PG279Q 27in 1440p 144hz ips gsync monitor

K70 mk2 k/b, G502 mouse, hyper x cloud revolver s headset.

(FOR SALE)

Sager NP8372

i7 7820hk, GTX 1070, 32gb ram, 17.3 in G sync display at 90hz. 500gb 960 evo. less than 1in thick.

Trident Z rgb 2x16 3200c14

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1066259-trident-z-rgb-2x16-3200c14-fs/

May I ask for a cover on keylogger topic? from what it is to how to locate it and it's vraieties. 

This isnt really a review, but can you get a game that uses rtx, for example BF V, and make the ray tracing part to work on the rtx card, and make everything else work on any other gpu you want that, so for example get ray tracing to work on a RTX 2080 Ti, and get everything else to work on another RTX 2080 Ti that isnt doing the rtx work if that makes sence. Or get the ray tracing part to work on a 2080 ti, and everything else to work on the 1080 Ti. Any combination you want.

More Alex videos! :D
Maybe, trying to get 2 graphics cards to work in a Mini-ITX bord with a 16x splitter, that splits into 2x 8x? ? 
I like the "trying to make things work, that are meant for something completely different." kinda videos. Like the 2x CPU 8 GPU MEGA Rig.

Just an idea. Think it would be a fun project of yours @LinusTech

See the last comment on this thread for example: 

HTPC: Approx 449$ USD total (Built by used hardware) = Chassis: Fractal Design Node 605 CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 GPU: Asus GTX 960 Strix 2GB RAM: 2x4 GB Kingston Value DDR3 LP MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 rev. 1.0 SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB PSU: LC Power 600 Watt LC6600GP2 CPU Cooler: Stock (For now)

Main Rig: (In Planning/Saving up)

I feel like people buy way more PSU than they will ever need, now that multi GPU setups are so rare and CPU power draw having not moved a whole bunch in the last 10 years (Excluding workstation CPUs!). I wonder how much it would take to actually overload a quality ~500W PSU?

I guess that's not a review, but it could be a review if a company was willing to send off a 500W unit for review instead of >750W.

My first post here:

Linus I really like your in-depth historical / educational fun videos. The one on Vista was a good one, the iBM Model M had me go find one for my 10yo son who asked me for days to drive around to find one. Yet interestingly enough the subject of how AMD and Intel are reliant on each other would make a great video and educate everone along the way, even those who chose to forget.

From this reddit thread from a year ago:

Intel made x86, AMD made AMD64. They license from each other.

AMD Licenses SSE and AVX from Intel. Without each other the CPU market would not exist.

This would make for a great video told by you.

(first post)

I recently noticed that on ebay there is huge amount of chinese x79 nobrand motherboards that are sold for around 100 bucks. I bought one of them (on amazon, i needed some warranty......) and paired it with a xeon e5 2680 (hexas have more frequency and are better in games, but for video editing/vitualisation i needed more cores so i bough an 8 core), 32gb of samsung registered ram and a noctua NH-D9DX i4 (if you dont want to use liquid metal, you can buy something cheeper with aluminium+copper at the base).

And bang! The performance is dammn good and i paid in total 320€ (100€ motherboard, 100€ cpu, 60€ cooler, 60€ ram) so this is a good budget build that i hope Linus can cover in one of his videos.

My pc complete specs:

Cpu: Xeon e5 2680 (forced turbo to 3.1 ghz on all cores + liquid metal)

Ram: 4x Samsung 8gb registered sitcks (oc to 1866)

Cooler: noctua NH-D9DX i4 (with liquid metal and 25% fanspeed the max temp is 65°, not bad)

Motherboard: Sofobod (?) X79 motherboard

Psu: corsair TX750

Gpu: Rx 480 nitro+ 4gb (bios mod= 1400mhz core, 1850mhz mem + liquid metal)

Case: aerocool xpredator cube red+black

I didn't post any scores because it would spoil Linus work.... ?

P.S. i'm from italy so i don't know if candian/us prices are the same........

amazon.PNG

ebay.PNG

On 1/29/2015 at 3:24 AM, LinusTech said:

Hey guys,

Just want some community feedback on this. Most of these things are already in the queue to some degree. Just trying to prioritize...

Could we get a Comparison of AMD vs Nvidia Image Quality in games? Not Frames/sec based just Image Quality as it is. Thanks.

Review the new iPad Pro with Pencil 2 and Macbook Air 

@AlexTheGreatish Please restart CSF with mooking and pranking Denis with the Dragon !

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I used to like watching the L-man do tear downs, but I guess you can only do so many of them before it gets stale.

Just like all the other video's.

Maybe if L-man does a teardown of a big ass TV, I may give in and watch it, just so long as there is no friggin silly facial expression associated with the video's thumbnail picture.

• 3 weeks later...

Samsungs new Galaxy A8s which has the camera inside its screen on front side :)

https://www.samsungeshop.com.cn/activity/GalaxyA8s

So this would be a weird review. A budget Samsung tablet from 2016: Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with spen. It came out in 2016 with barely an announcement in November. I bought one and use it daily and this morning it updated to android 8.0, just after two years of being out, which was rather a pleasant surprise since Samsung barely supports their phones after two years. 

When it came out, almost none of the tech review sites even mentioned it, and if they did it was just a spec page, no hands on reviews. When Samsung released it they even sold it at $100 off MSRP at $250 almost as if they were ashamed of it. Granted it was the year the Note7's exploded, so they may have just been trying to stick a s pen in some new product that wasn't exploding.

So for the specs: a 10.1 in 1920x 1200 LCD tablet with an active stylus, 16 GB, 3 GB of ram. I found it great for in class note taking, and general media consumption. The stylus has a slot like the note phones to keep up with it. It was release with Android 6.0, but received annual updates and is now at Android 8.0. 

A year later Samsung released a mainstream tablet with an oled 2k screen, with an spen, however somehow they couldn't find a way to add a s pen slot.

Today for a more robust, but more expensive cost you could recommend an iPad with a pencil, but for 2016, an android table with an active stylus- the same stylus support found in a flagship phone, at a quarter of the price, was quite remarkable, and I've yet to find anyone to remark on it.

Anyway sometimes you review weird one off gadgets, and at relatively low cost, it's not a bad device.

I think razer makes a VR Backpack PC. you should look into it or make one ur self.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Video idea

Youtuber "My Mate VINCE" plays Fortnite on 1980s analog tube tv transmitted wirelessly via RF. 

Explained well in the video but here's the cliff notes:

Xbox 1s HDMI out > Digital-Analog Converter > signal booster > RF antenna > TV antenna > Display

Here's something I'd like to see: CPUs are usually pressed onto their heat sinks with thermal paste, but wouldn't soldering them on be even better? Of course, that's not practical, because heat sinks drain heat away too fast and CPUs get damaged by the heat. But here's something entirely new: https://buy.solder.com/NanoFoil-Activation-Kit/P1051_1019/

The kit is 158 USD, and comes with several bits of reactive "NanoFoil", including some that is tin coated. The foil is placed between two things to solder. Pressure is applied and the foil is activated by, say, a 9V battery. The foil instantly heats up to 700-1500 degrees C, melting the solder with a pulse of heat that is locally intense but dissipates quickly. Here's a video. The foil becomes an aluminum-nickel alloy and the two items are tin soldered to the foil .

I'm dying to know if this could permanently attach a heat sink or if it would fry the CPU. Surely there is an old system around you could try it on?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

sorry if it's not enough for a content piece, but this is giving me the itchiest small project itch (I don't even have the monitors to test for, and yet I'm so close to buying it for kicks):

1. some dude over at the eGPU forums managed to feed a Displayport signal to a thunderbolt-compatible connection via an Alpine ridge thunderbolt AIC WITHOUT THE CARD ACTUALLY IN THE PC
    https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2018-mac-mini-wx-910032gbps-tb3-mantiz-venus-thunderbolt-3-monitor-output-macos-10-14-1-theitsage/#post-49218
  2. possible to do above except without thunderbolt?
    https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_89582/merkmale.html?setLanguage=de

Yes, but thunderbolt is much better for performance. Thunderbolt, especially in eGPUs was a huge step because it is almost directly PCIe interface. The performance might not differ by a marked amount however.

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

I meant like (for #1) just adapting any displayport signal to be used with thunderbolt displays (maybe possibly USB-C displayport displays?), even for boards that don't support thunderbolt AICs o_o

(#2 is just adapting a DP to DP-C connection, but not sure if the method in #1 would work in #2)

You’re just moving the bottleneck. It will work fine though, thunderbolt uses DisplayPort, but like FireWire, thunderbolt needs a compatable socket with a chip.

it's not about connecting the card to any PC o_o adapting just the display doesn't require the card populated in the host system

EDIT: i don't get the bottleneck part ._.

So the major setback for any eGPU is the bandwidth available to transmit information. This is shown by many TB/TB2/TB3 comparisons. USB-C is only 10Gb/s vs 40Gb/s for TB3. Probably say around 10fps depending on the card. If you connect USB-c to TB like that, you will still only get the performance of USB-c. 

Now on for your USB-c card with DP, will be 10Gb/s and will not function in a Thunderbolt Display, they need proprietary thunderbolt hardware on both relieving ports, even though it has DP.