Obama to provide funding for 50,000 police body cameras

Eyes on the Prize

police-body-camera.jpg

In the wake of Ferguson Trial & protests, President Obama on Monday will announce $263 million in funding for law enforcement agencies to purchase body-worn cameras and improve training.

The White House said the funding, which would need to be matched by state and local police, The money includes $75 million allocated specifically for the purchase 50,000 cameras for law enforcement officers across the country

The cameras are designed to provide a definitive record of police activities, and have become a frequent demand

This is just one part of a much larger solution that also includes an overhaul of how the government distributes military gear, but it could make a big difference if it provides video evidence whenever there are complaints of excessive force or rights abuses.

the new Body Worn Camera Partnership Program would provide a 50% match to states who buy their own body-worn cameras

article-0-014F3D9400000578-920_634x426.j

Obama on Monday is gathering Cabinet officials and civil rights leaders to discuss the distrust between local communities and law enforcement agencies.

Even tho camera's are everywhere even with the mobile footages shot by civilians , Police body cameras is going to be pretty useful since even tho regular folks could do use it for evidence there are many many reported news (in extreme cases) of their smart-phones being seized by the officials on site for evidence & later return them with wiped memory sticks, and regular civilians are defenseless in this situation.

This will be able to counteract those faulty measures taken by the officers & can to an extend induce a psychological response & refrain from using extra violence under the notion that it's being watched , experts agree on this . 

“People interpret what they see on video through the filter of their own experiences. An officer may interpret what he sees on a video differently than a civil rights lawyer or a young person from an urban area, The technology doesn’t provide this context being human does.

This funding, of course, will only be enough to outfit a small fraction of police officers with cameras, and yet, it’s a major vote of confidence from the federal government in a new method of police surveillance that is already proving to be incredibly effective.

Obama also plans to overhaul how the federal government disperses military equipment to local police departments,

687321000.jpg

This funding will only be enough to outfit a small fraction of police officers with cameras..

Flipside (a different perspective)

Privacy:

On the otherside there is also the ignored concern of privacy, With literally hundreds of hours of video generated by police cameras every day, that would present serious problems for both privacy and simple logistics. every interaction , even an unrelated event happening on the side line could be captured & set within the system for years & years and could potentially be abused by any or all person having access to that data..

Blind Spots:

Every camera has a blind spot , let alone body worn cameras , when events and occurrences that they miss or don’t catch could be used in a different way. Holding the video as truth, then, can be just as dangerous as not having a record of the police interaction at all. Basically these blind spots can be used by the suspect to fill in falsified event that could go against the officer in a dispute, if the events are under normal circumstances & the official could potentially become the victim.

Logistics:

public records law requires government agencies to release almost all records in a timely fashion, or face a fine. With thousands of hours of video, which must be blurred and muted to protect people’s privacy, that could become a serious logistical burden for police departments.

Rialto-police-body-camera-016.jpg

Technology like this can be pretty useful in this situation , but can also be counterproductive at the same time , The protest response with the given advantage with excessive force is such an example,  read this quote from Attorney General Eric Holder

This equipment flowed to local police forces because they were increasingly being asked to assist in counterterrorism, But displays of force in response to mostly peaceful demonstrations can be counterproductive.”

- Eric Holder (AG)

Same thing can be said for technology, But These equipments have also been really productive in cases like in Boston event. it depends on the person using/controlling them , Wearable devices are looking to be more effective in these regions..

Pretty harsh topic to deal with But it's really cool to see technology can be used to make potentially explosive situations under control & monitoring , 

Please do have a rational discussion on this topic if you choose to..

Will request to lock the thread if it gets too far in the comments section. 

Bonus:

force-is-strong-in-this-one-obama.jpg

News Link:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/1/7314685/after-ferguson-obama-announces-funding-for-police-body-cameras

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/01/white-house-offers-body-camera-funding/

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/225583-obama-to-provide-funding-for-50000-police-body-cameras

Details separate people.

It might help to settle the unrest, but the unrest is mostly just people wanting to loot and destroy at the moment.  $75 mil is a lot considering how in dept the goverment is atm.  

hmm i like the idea of the cameras due to recent events with people complaining about police abusing their power, but the privacy side is definetly a big issue :/

seems like this wont be useful until we have a system with automatic face detection that automatically blurs out every other person except the person in question.

But idk.... for one upside there are a lot of downsides to this. should be interesting how it pans out.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Good, the more of these out there the better.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I am concerned about the costs on the other end of this, like storage of the amount of footage that these cameras will take.

Also there are going to be A-hole citizens who will abuse this, like the guy in Washington who submitted a FOIA request for every second of footage the police department has taken since 1776...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

How expensive can this be. 720p chinese cam 20$, big battery 20$ and sd card 15$. 55*50000=2,75M$. not that much.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

hmm i like the idea of the cameras due to recent events with people complaining about police abusing their power, but the privacy side is definetly a big issue :/

seems like this wont be useful until we have a system with automatic face detection that automatically blurs out every other person except the person in question.

But idk.... for one upside there are a lot of downsides to this. should be interesting how it pans out.

It's not really a privacy invasion if your in public and in line of sight of a cop already.

The only concern I have is the access to the video footage.

I think it should be saved somewhere secure where it can only be accessed if the video footage if needed for evidence.

RTX2070OC 

How expensive can this be. 720p chinese cam 20$, big battery 20$ and sd card 15$. 55*50000=2,75M$. not that much.

Lel , they should buy those camera's from ebay instead of buying them directly from the companies..

Details separate people.

Lel , they should buy those camera's from ebay instead of buying them directly from the companies..

Nah that won't happen. They will end up spending insane amounts of money and that cam won't even record in the dark I bet.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I have to wonder how much of a difference this will make.

Just watch, some policeman will murder a kid without the camera on, and he'll get away with it. Darren Wilson told a majority of police protocol to suck it and look where he is.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

Storage for 100,000,000 hours of footage a year...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

It's not really a privacy invasion if your in public and in line of sight of a cop already.

The only concern I have is the access to the video footage.

I think it should be saved somewhere secure where you can only access the video footage if needed for evidence.

or would it be better if the footage was completely public? like even civilians could access it...

cant hide anything that way.... if the public can view it you cant manipulate it because EVERYONE will know what truly happened

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Storage for 100,000,000 hours of footage a year...

Don't really need to store everything. Just file for the important stuff and keep the non important stuff for like a month.

Spoiler

but the privacy side is definetly a big issue :/

This isn't a privacy issue, people are allowed to record things and use camera out in public, as they should. If a police officer was in your home and was recording, then you can ask them to leave.

or would it be better if the footage was completely public? like even civilians could access it...

cant hide anything that way.... if the public can view it you cant manipulate it because EVERYONE will know what truly happened

No public access would be a horrible idea especially when cops have a conversation or go in a house ect

The footage should be only accessed if necessary for a case and only by a jury.(Since cop access would defeat the hole purpose)

RTX2070OC 

it shouldnt have needed to come to this. as much as i hate getting myself involved in politics (i could care less about them) this seems like something needed, sadly enough.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Don't really need to store everything. Just file for the important stuff and keep the non important stuff for like a month.

The Freedom of Information Act disagrees with you. If anyone can request any footage at any time, you pretty much have to store it all.

The Freedom of Information Act disagrees with you. If anyone can request any footage at any time, you pretty much have to store it all.

Obviously needs fixing.

Spoiler

From his personal funds? :P

U.S. president only makes $400,000/year.

After 8 years he'll have only made $3.2 Million, and that's before taxes.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit