Obama to provide funding for 50,000 police body cameras

Obviously needs fixing.

So you would want them to wear cameras and simultaneously have no way of requesting the footage?

Like it or not the FOIA is a key part in monitoring the government, and keeping policing in check. If the PD's have cameras and the rights to choose what to delete, they might as well not have the cameras. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

U.S. president only makes $400,000/year.

After 8 years he'll have only made $3.2 Million, and that's before taxes.

It was a joke based on the title of the thread ;)

So you would want them to wear cameras and simultaneously have no way of requesting the footage?

Like it or not the FOIA is a key part in monitoring the government, and keeping policing in check. If the PD's have cameras and the rights to choose what to delete, they might as well not have the cameras. 

Why would you want footage if nothing happened? Do you want to watch them eat donuts?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Why would you want footage if nothing happened? Do you want to watch them eat donuts?

lol fair. But my point is that if they are deciding what is worth keeping they could decide that the time an officer stopped you and illegally searched your car was not interesting enough to keep. At that time the camera is effectively a moot point.

EDIT: POST 3000!!! WOOT WOOT!

Edited by Real_PhillBert

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

lol fair. But my point is that if they are deciding what is worth keeping they could decide that the time an officer stopped you and illegally searched your car was not interesting enough to keep. At that time the camera is effectively a moot point.

Like I said, keep everything for short amount of time. Archive events.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

How expensive can this be. 720p chinese cam 20$, big battery 20$ and sd card 15$. 55*50000=2,75M$. not that much.

They have to go through regulations and meet certain standards. They also need to be highly reliable. They have to do very thorough testing on them as well and the manufacturers of these cameras do a ton of QA as well. All of those things costs money.

Its the same reason why server grade computer components cost hundreds if not thousands more than their consumer desktop counterparts.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Like I said, keep everything for short amount of time. Archive events.

Even then, lets say 25% of an officers day is spent interacting with citizens, that is 25,000,000 hours of footage a year to keep archived.

Even then, lets say 25% of an officers day is spent interacting with citizens, that is 25,000,000 hours of footage a year to keep archived.

Ye, not that hard. Russians record that much over their dashcams easily.  :D

Spoiler

Ye, not that hard. Russians record that much over their dashcams easily.  :D

Fair point.

I am just pointing out that the cost of the cameras themselves is not the largest part of the expense in this endeavor. 

How expensive can this be. 720p chinese cam 20$, big battery 20$ and sd card 15$. 55*50000=2,75M$. not that much.

They also have to hire/train people how to set them up and maintain them.

I also don't know where you're seeing $20 Chinese cameras that would be able to be harnessed on the shoulders of police officers.

What use is this? 50,000 cameras when the United States has over 600 million officers? Thats less than one percent coverage. You'd need atleast twice as many cameras than that.

U.S. president only makes $400,000/year.

only, damn 

i could retire after working 4 years, sucks to be him.

on topic: some cops would just turn off their camera so i don't see the point of wasting money on them.

What use is this? 50,000 cameras when the United States has over 600 million officers? Thats less than one percent coverage. You'd need atleast twice as many cameras than that.

The US has a total population of ~320 million... We cannot possibly have 600 million officers.

Plus many police departments already have body cameras. This is not a new thing.

only, damn 

i could retire after working 4 years, sucks to be him.

on topic: some cops would just turn off their camera so i don't see the point of wasting money on them.

In terms of executive-level jobs and when looking at the levels of stress and scrutiny you have to endure as a U.S. president, there are far better jobs on the "job is worth the money" scale. It would take a hell of a lot more than $400K for me to put up with the BS of being U.S. president for a year.

You could be a major bank CEO and make $10-20 Million/year. After 8 years that's $80-160 Million vs. $3.7 Million as U.S. president.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

In terms of executive-level jobs and when looking at the levels of stress and scrutiny you have to endure as a U.S. president, there are far better jobs on the "job is worth the money" scale. It would take a hell of a lot more than $400K for me to put up with the BS of being U.S. president for a year.

You could be a major bank CEO and make $10-20 Million/year. After 8 years that's $80-160 Million vs. $3.7 Million as U.S. president.

you volunteer to be president, it's not a burden that is bestowed upon him 

sign some papers, start some wars, play some golf, get high quality food all the time

i make <$12,000 (full-time job) a year, i don't want to hear about the stress the pwesident has to put up with

hmm i like the idea of the cameras due to recent events with people complaining about police abusing their power, but the privacy side is definetly a big issue :/

seems like this wont be useful until we have a system with automatic face detection that automatically blurs out every other person except the person in question.

But idk.... for one upside there are a lot of downsides to this. should be interesting how it pans out.

A cop just needs to kill someone "innocent*" when there's only one witness so it's a "trustworthy" source, the cop, against some witness

/sarcasm

*some criminal without enough evidence to go to court with, but enough to be undeniably guilty

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

you volunteer to be president, it's not a burden that is bestowed upon him 

sign some papers, start some wars, play some golf, get high quality food all the time

i make <$12,000 (full-time job) a year, i don't want to hear about the stress the pwesident has to put up with

I'm not sure how old you are but if you live with your parents then what you make is irrelevant.

If you do have to live on your own and make less than that then that is nobody's fault but your own. Get a better job if you think your current one pays shit.

I use to work in fast food, in the span of 1.5 years I made a total of ~$7000. I got fired from that job in the same month that I had to get an apartment while still attending college. For the next 5 months I had to use my savings from my job ($3000) to put entirely towards my rent and couldn't spend any money on anything else. I had to eat raw fucking bagels for an entire month, which I got for free from someone who works for a bread company, I didn't even have the money to buy the damn cream cheese to put on them. I disconnected my Internet and left that final bill also unpaid for 5 months. I was also receiving zero government assistance.

At the end of those 5 months is when I finally landed my next job, which is in IT, what I went to college for, and now I make $30,000/year on salary plus full benefits and bonuses. I had to spend 90% of my first pay just paying off my phone and internet bill which had nearly doubled due to 5 months of late fees.

So I don't want to hear people like you complaining about how little money you make and how stressful it is for you because its nobody's fault but your own. The responsibility to make your life better is entirely yours, nobody owes you a damn thing.

And after all of that, I still think the president's job is monumentally stressful regardless of the fact that they make $400K/year.

Wow, he's actually doing something correctly, although it's nowhere NEAR enough cameras.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yeah that shit is gonna fly right off when the cops are chasing somebody.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

I'm not sure how old you are but if you live with your parents then what you make is irrelevant.

If you do have to live on your own and make less than that then that is nobody's fault but your own. Get a better job if you think your current one pays shit.

So I don't want to hear people like you complaining about how little money you make and how stressful it is for you because its nobody's fault but your own. The responsibility to make your life better is entirely yours, nobody owes you a damn thing.

And after all of that, I still think the president's job is monumentally stressful regardless of the fact that they make $400K/year.

I'm so glad you know who I am or what my situation is

I'm so glad you know who I am or what my situation is

When you quote me don't remove portions of my post to skew the context.

Oh, the classic "You don't know my story!" line. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter what your situation is. In the real world there are no excuses. I'm sick of our societies lack of personal responsibility and "I'm poor and its not my fault!" mentality, always looking to place blame on anything or anyone other than themselves. There are people in the world who have been in far worse situations than you and were able to overcome them.

When you quote me don't remove portions of my post to skew the context.

Oh, the classic "You don't know my story!" line. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter what your situation is. In the real world there are no excuses. I'm sick of our societies lack of personal responsibility and "I'm poor and its not my fault!" mentality, always looking to place blame on anything or anyone other than themselves. There are people in the world who have been in far worse situations than you and were able to overcome them.

Even when I do find better work, there are billions of people who make less money than I did. There simply isn't enough jobs anymore, there's just too many people.

Back on topic though, it's sad that we have to put cameras on police to make sure they're behaving themselves.