Apple up to no good? They could possibly be intentionally slowing down older devices.

DeViLzzz

It is an OS on a gosh darn phone.  I don't think they change that much in that devices should be so sluggish from year to year.  Guaranteed they are gimping devices.

@VGS I see what you mean.

@DeViLzzz, while it's quite possible, it is by no means "guaranteed", unless you care to provide actual proof? I read all your posts, and the 4 support articles you posted later on all pretty much use the same source: That Harvard "study". Not one of them actually performed any testing on devices, comparing versions or speeds or any empirical testing what so ever.

The funny thing is that you might even be right! But it is sure as hell not a clear-cut case. I won't be convinced until someone does testing and benchmarking. And frankly neither should you. You've convinced yourself that this is true without any actual evidence.

You should instead be demanding tests be done to verify this, rather than posting potentially misinformation,

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah if you do update. How many Android devices get OS updates for 4-5 years ? 

Most of them...?

My razr i, a fairly unique and obscure phone, will be officially updated to the latest android version before september. Certainly if you buy from one of the big boys you can expect at least two years of support, can't think of any examples where this hasn't been true. The community also extends the lifespan of android devices well beyond this, with popular devices from 4 years ago still being updated by individuals to a high standard. And this doesn't mean lag central, as is the case with iphones (my mum's 4s runs absolutely terribly with ios7 as does even my friends iphone 5, thanks to apple's core philosophy - optimisation - not being implemented properly for older devices). The latest android version can run on 600mhz processors, i.e. the first android phones.

iOS has it's pro's, and so do iphones, but updates aren't exactly a strong point for apple.

More on topic, this should have been known to anyone with an older i device. My ipod touch is basically a brick after it's latest update and now won't get any more.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

How do you not know this already? By far the oldest trick in the make-the-users-buy-our-new-stuff book. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The community also extends the lifespan of android devices well beyond this, with popular devices from 4 years ago still being updated by individuals to a high standard. 

Yeah I was talking official updates. You can jailbreak and do whatever you want... 

Maybe Android phones do get updates for a longer period now. I don't really know or care. I was just under the impressions that besides phone running stock Android, most devices would get 1 or 2 updates and that's it.

Yeah if you do update. How many Android devices get OS updates for 4-5 years ? 

Just put a ROM on. -_-

Just put a ROM on. -_-

You seem to forget that the iDevices have an equivalent (Cydia), making the Android ROM a moot argument. 

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

You seem to forget that the iDevices have an equivalent (Cydia), making the Android ROM a moot argument. 

So there is no big deal on either side.

Moot argument about updates.

Cydia and changing ROM are very different things. Cydia basically only opens up stuff you can already do on stock Android, like side loading apps, changing themes etc.

Yeah I was talking official updates. You can jailbreak and do whatever you want... 

Maybe Android phones do get updates for a longer period now. I don't really know or care. I was just under the impressions that besides phone running stock Android, most devices would get 1 or 2 updates and that's it.

Dude, not tryna be rude or owt, but that's ridiculous. You made a comment with an incorrect statement, then stated you 'don't really care' that it's incorrect. Either you worded that badly or you are an american politician.

Wow mate. Just wow.

Cydia is a tool developed by the community to circumvent restrictions in apple's OS.

An Android ROM is the OS. A whole new fresh OS. Not some tool designed to break google's circumventions, because there is basically none. ROMS are for customisation and updates. Every android phone comes out of the box with ways to do just about everything cydia does because google allow people who know what they are doing to actually use their phones how they like. Apple use heavy optimisation to get decent performance out of their phones, while android prefers versatility of hardware. Hence why apple products are far more locked down (they need to be) and android doesn't have that issue.

What is it with people making claims on things they clearly know nothing about, you need to actually have used both, learned about both and given both equal chance to have an unbiased and informed view on android and iOS.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

What is it with people making claims on things they clearly know nothing about, you need to actually have used both, learned about both and given both equal chance to have an unbiased and informed view on android and iOS.

Woah, How are fanboys going to react to bad news about their product if they can only make educated statements that are based on real experience?  It's far easier to make some shit up and just bombard the debate with irrelevant data that is neither supported nor objective.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Cydia and changing ROM are very different things. Cydia basically only opens up stuff you can already do on stock Android, like side loading apps, changing themes etc.

I do not disagree with you. But on individual terms, they accomplish the same task; extending the functionality of the stock OS, and extending the software lifetime of the respective devices. You have extensive features and community support on Android, while Apple wins on official software support and warranty service. The reason I picked the iPhone is because I value functionality over features. I just want a cellphone to work well and for a long time, and I honestly have no interest in having an ongoing IT project in my pocket. Not everybody has this mindset, and there is absolutely no problem with that. If you are looking for a phone that uses the most of what it has, I would happily recommend an Android phone.

Wow mate. Just wow.

Cydia is a tool developed by the community to circumvent restrictions in apple's OS.

An Android ROM is the OS. A whole new fresh OS. Not some tool designed to break google's circumventions, because there is basically none. ROMS are for customisation and updates. Every android phone comes out of the box with ways to do just about everything cydia does because google allow people who know what they are doing to actually use their phones how they like. Apple use heavy optimisation to get decent performance out of their phones, while android prefers versatility of hardware. Hence why apple products are far more locked down (they need to be) and android doesn't have that issue.

First, read above

Second, don't be rude!

The main argument was in context of the software support of the respective devices. Cydia DOES extend the software lifetime of the devices, although it is an artificial method of doing so. You may not have to circumvent anything from google, but you have to deal with the manufacturer and service provider. This is the actual reason people install ROMs, to get rid of whatever proprietary nonsense there is in the stock phone. The extended features is mostly a bonus in this respect.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Definitely happened on my iPad 1. Terrible lag on the keyboard started happening so I waited to hear when the latest OS would be out. When I found out it wouldn't support the iPad 1 I went to Android.

I do not disagree with you. But on individual terms, they accomplish the same task; extending the functionality of the stock OS, and extending the software lifetime of the respective devices. You have extensive features and community support on Android, while Apple wins on official software support and warranty service. The reason I picked the iPhone is because I value functionality over features. I just want a cellphone to work well and for a long time, and I honestly have no interest in having an ongoing IT project in my pocket. Not everybody has this mindset, and there is absolutely no problem with that. If you are looking for a phone that uses the most of what it has, I would happily recommend an Android phone.

No they do not accomplish the same tasks. Installing a whole new OS, and changing settings in an OS are two different things.

I even disagrees with the iphone having better warranty. It's only decent if you get Apple Care, which costs quite a bit. If you don't then you'll be stuck with the typical "it will cost 200 dollars to remove this broken connector from your phone". It seems to me like HTC has the best warranty. Free replacement for broken front panel.

The rest of your post is just subjective stuff like "I don't want an ongoing IT project in my pocket" which I won't argue against. If you don't like Android then good/bad for you. Don't make things up (like flashing a new ROM and Cyadia being the same thing) to support that statement though.

No they do not accomplish the same tasks. Installing a whole new OS, and changing settings in an OS are two different things.

I even disagrees with the iphone having better warranty. It's only decent if you get Apple Care, which costs quite a bit. If you don't then you'll be stuck with the typical "it will cost 200 dollars to remove this broken connector from your phone". It seems to me like HTC has the best warranty. Free replacement for broken front panel.

The rest of your post is just subjective stuff like "I don't want an ongoing IT project in my pocket" which I won't argue against. If you don't like Android then good/bad for you. Don't make things up (like flashing a new ROM and Cyadia being the same thing) to support that statement though.

Not only that but in some countries (like Aus.) the warranty they have to give by law is pretty hard to beat.  In Aus. a warranties length is actually determined by consumer affairs who decide what is a reasonable for the price the consumer pays.  Given that the average smartphone costs $300 here, it is not unreasonable to expect a $600 phone to last 2 years, So the company would have to replace or refund for any manufacturing or materials defect.

http://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund#-no-refund-signs-and-expired-warranties

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

this is no different to when they disallowed the use of apps on older devices in order to force users to upgrade to current devices. Since late 2012 I haven't been allowed to use any single apps on my generation 1 iPod touch, even the apps I paid money for. It just came up with the statement "this app requires iOS 5". Everywhere I checked, everyone had the same issue.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

I don't think this is entirely true. Considering the fact that for example if you were to install Windows 7 on a Windows 95/98 based PC it would run very slowly purely because the requirements for it to run are high.

Same goes for newer version of Android as does the same reason apply for iOS. The newer the software the more demanding and taxing it is on hardware. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

First, read above

Second, don't be rude!

The main argument was in context of the software support of the respective devices. Cydia DOES extend the software lifetime of the devices, although it is an artificial method of doing so. You may not have to circumvent anything from google, but you have to deal with the manufacturer and service provider. This is the actual reason people install ROMs, to get rid of whatever proprietary nonsense there is in the stock phone. The extended features is mostly a bonus in this respect.

Sorry i came off as rude, I genuinely didn't mean to be, I just see so many uninformed comments on this thread and ended up replying to yours. My bad.

And while your statement is true to an extent, ROM installation as a means of customisation and 'propriatary nonsense' removal is a far more deep reaching alternative to cydia, with core changes to the OS being able to be made while maintaining compatability and speed, something i really struggled with on my ipod with cydia store apps.

Cyangenmod is just as much about features as functionality, and many ROMs emphasise features much more than stability or such. Many features of 4.4 kitkat were adopted from cyangenmod, and this community spirit serves to enhance the experience for the consumer to levels extending well beyond iOS.

iOS without a doubt, as i mentioned earlier in this thread, suits the general populous, but android has a far more versatile and user-centric philosophy behind it, which makes me lean more towards it. And while there are situations in which iOS trumps android, from what I can see there are many people owning iphones who would be better suited with an android handset but thanks to the apple image and consumer misinformation stick with iOS. Hence apple need to change their philosophy to combat android or iphones will eventually fade away as the populous slowly shift towards the more versatile OS.

I don't think this is entirely true. Considering the fact that for example if you were to install Windows 7 on a Windows 95/98 based PC it would run very slowly purely because the requirements for it to run are high.

Same goes for newer version of Android as does the same reason apply for iOS. The newer the software the more demanding and taxing it is on hardware. 

But that's the thing... No other OS get these spikes of users complaining about slowdowns. Updates to Android often makes it run faster, not slower.

But that's the thing... No other OS get these spikes of users complaining about slowdowns. Updates to Android often makes it run faster, not slower.

Again not entirely true. Look at most older android phones compared to older iPhones. The specs other each individual phone will differ. The iPhone 4 for example has a 800MHz CPU I'm surprised it's lasted this long. A phone that is android based around the same age is probably either a dual core or a really fast single core.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Again not entirely true. Look at most older android phones compared to older iPhones. The specs other each individual phone will differ. The iPhone 4 for example has a 800MHz CPU I'm surprised it's lasted this long. A phone that is android based around the same age is probably either a dual core or a really fast single core.

Because there is a such a large range from incredibly cheap to overly expensive the hardware in android phones is everything from slow single cores to the latest  quad cores at 2.2Ghz.   Even looking at phones today you can get everything from old 1.4Ghz dual cores right up to the latest from qualcom.   My desire (August 2010), has an 800Ghz single core snapdragon. It still performs just as quick as the day I got it.

Please realize that you are repeating the same argument to prove a point that was not even in context of my original comment.

So thatsss why my iPod touch 4G is basically a brick now as slow as it is...

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Let it also be known that OP makes clickbait articles just to get a lot of views and replies just so Linus will mention his post on the WAN Show. Thats seriously his motivation. 

Lets do him the favour of ignoring his junk till he starts posting quality stuff with ACTUAL SOURCES AND VALID DATA.

Let it also be known that OP makes clickbait articles just to get a lot of views and replies just so Linus will mention his post on the WAN Show. Thats seriously his motivation. 

Lets do him the favour of ignoring his junk till he starts posting quality stuff with ACTUAL SOURCES AND VALID DATA.

First of all I post what I think is relevant news.  Second I said in another post that yes if I post a subject first I want to get credit for it.  I don't want someone else taking credit with a repost.  

Finally stop being a troll like some others are and people stop telling me that I have to show anything to make what is said in the articles be true.  I am providing tech news like is asked and nothing more.  I do not have to set out to show that anything in the articles is right.  They are matters/topics for discussion.  Can you understand that?

Victorious Secret seriously you are the one that needs to be ignored.  This was tech news. I reported it.  You have decided to make a personal issue of it between you and I for reporting it.  Honestly you are acting like a jerk and I think you and a few others are doing it because you are actually possibly Apple Fan Boys. Unbelievable how FAN BOYS will act.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S