AMD is really falling behind NVIDIA

ContemplatingBeluga

NVIDIA has so much more to offer consumers in comparison to AMD. Shadowplay, Shield Tablet with its ability to stream games and better power consumption in general. I am planning to buy a new graphics card soon and I was quite shocked to learn how far behind AMD is now in terms of functionality. Mantle has yet to prove itself groundbreaking in any way as promised. As a AMD user, I am really quite disappointed over this  :(

I can't completely disagree, but AMD have an equivalent to ShadowPlay now.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I can't completely disagree, but AMD have an equivalent to ShadowPlay now.

Yeah, I have tried to use it but I can't since I own a pair of 6850s... It was the only reason why I bothered to actually re-install that Gaming Evolved app.

Shadow play? Game DVR

Shield tablet are AMD competing in the handheld sector now?

Power Consumption sure. Amd is terrible in this department.

Physx sure. Amd has no answer

Gsync/Freesync

Does Nvidia have mantle support nope.

TressFx a useless feature much like Physx (which can be run on a cpu) nope Nvidia doesn't have that either.

You see OP AMD and Nvidia have different end goals with a lot of similar features and then unique features that no one cares about.

The only useful proprietary feature Nvidia has is gamestream but its nothing I wasn't replicating before using splashtop or steam streaming.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I just went froma 280x to a 770 just for game stream

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

AMD is sort of at a halt right now, anything big they do now would only ruin their long term investment. They're doing rather well on the low-mid range segment of the market.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

TressFx a useless feature much like Physx (which can be run on a cpu) nope Nvidia doesn't have that either.

I think Nvidia has an equivalent called HairWorks.

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

I think Nvidia has an equivalent called HairWorks.

Most likely they do now. But my point still stands.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Yea but AMD still shines when it comes value CPU's and GPU's... If you need a cheap CPU for a multi threaded workload AMD is still the way to go. Also they are pretty good in the server department due to tiny costs of their Semprons. You get what you pay for and AMD focuses on value for money rather than features like Shadowplay etc. 

"Falling behind" isn't the right term to use. The only significant category AMD really falls behind in is energy efficiency. Everything else is just extras and software gimmicks. AMD still leads in terms of price to performance and until the 390/x cards arrive I wouldn't go as far as to call this "falling behind".

I disagree.

Streaming? Steam master race. point neutral (Grn1,Red1)

Physics? I have them running just fine on my CPU lag free, but I have to give nvidia the point here, if I had a 550W PSU I'd add in an 8800GT for it. (Grn2,Red1)

Hair? I looked at the demos for both, and tried them both, and TressFX really just looks better. point AMD (Grn2,Red2)

Adaptive synchronization of the monitor and GPU? I have not tried either solution, point nvidia for being first, point AMD for making it free (Grn3,Red3)

Number of APIs supported? point AMD (and intel, actually, for actually wanting to use mantle) (Grn3,Red4,Blu1)

Power efficiency? AMD's doing alright, at least it's not fermi! And with tonga coming up, point neutral (Grn4,Red4,Blu2)

but-thats-none-of-my2.jpg

AMD is still going to be cheaper at the moment

Depending on where you live.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Nvidia has some pretty useless features for me personally. I don't need gamestream, i own a 3ds. Shadowplay=Game DVR. Plus my gpu is cheap compared to a 780ti.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

Shadow play? Game DVR

Gsync/Freesync

You see OP AMD and Nvidia have different end goals with a lot of similar features and then unique features that no one cares about.

The only useful proprietary feature Nvidia has is gamestream but its nothing I wasn't replicating before using splashtop or steam streaming.

I've seen nothing that shows "Game DVR" is anywhere near as nice, fluid and functional as Shadowplay

What device is AMD competing with against the shield/shield tablet?

PhysX is about as useless as TressFX except it's been featured in more games(though TressFX hasn't been out as long)

Gsync has a small presence and will have a larger one in the future, yet I've not heard anything about freesync since it was announced.

Mantle is only supported on a few games and hardly makes  enough of a difference to justify dealing with inferior drivers and software.

Yes they have differing goals but im my mind AMD is still behind and so long as they keep fighting on two fronts against Intel and Nvidia they will always be behind. they simply don't have the budget to so anything spectacular to pull ahead in either field.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I've seen nothing that shows "Game DVR" is anywhere near as nice, fluid and functional as Shadowplay

What device is AMD competing with against the shield/shield tablet?

PhysX is about as useless as TressFX except it's been featured in more games(though TressFX hasn't been out as long)

Gsync has a small presence and will have a larger one in the future, yet I've not heard anything about freesync since it was announced.

Mantle is only supported on a few games and hardly makes  enough of a difference to justify dealing with inferior drivers and software.

Yes they have differing goals but im my mind AMD is still behind and so long as they keep fighting on two fronts against Intel and Nvidia they will always be behind. they simply don't have the budget to so anything spectacular to pull ahead in either field.

I'd rather give up the Nvidia features than pay so much more for the same performance.

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

I'd rather give up the Nvidia features than pay so much more for the same performance.

I respect that, for some people pure performance is all that matters however I value the whole package rather than just one part of it. I wouldn't sacrifice features for all out performance.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

What device is AMD competing with against the shield/shield tablet? Their own line of Mobile APU, I'm pretty sure the guy wants to point this out. 

Gsync has a small presence and will have a larger one in the future, yet I've not heard anything about freesync since it was announced. Still VESA Standard, meaning everyone who supports it will benefit from it. No need for extra hardware.

Mantle is only supported on a few games and hardly makes  enough of a difference to justify dealing with inferior drivers and software. Mantle is helpful to Low-Mid end gamers. Upcoming EA title are supported by this.

Yes they have differing goals but im my mind AMD is still behind and so long as they keep fighting on two fronts against Intel and Nvidia they will always be behind. they simply don't have the budget to so anything spectacular to pull ahead in either field. I think they want what is good for the industry. Even though mantle is not open they are still offerring to those who are interested. (Intel) And yes, from a gpu manufacturer standpoint they falling behind.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

What device is AMD competing with against the shield/shield tablet? Their own line of Mobile APU, I'm pretty sure the guy wants to point this out. 

Gsync has a small presence and will have a larger one in the future, yet I've not heard anything about freesync since it was announced. Still VESA Standard, meaning everyone who supports it will benefit from it. No need for extra hardware.

Mantle is only supported on a few games and hardly makes  enough of a difference to justify dealing with inferior drivers and software. Mantle is helpful to Low-Mid end gamers. Upcoming EA title are supported by this.

Yes they have differing goals but im my mind AMD is still behind and so long as they keep fighting on two fronts against Intel and Nvidia they will always be behind. they simply don't have the budget to so anything spectacular to pull ahead in either field. I think they want what is good for the industry. Even though mantle is not open they are still offerring to those who are interested. (Intel) And yes, from a gpu manufacturer standpoint they falling behind.

First you threw me off by replying to what I said in the quote so there's that, I almost posted that you didn't do anything but quote me lol.

Anyways

AMD's mobile APU's are more of an attempt to get back the market from intel as their iGPU's are better on the lower end chips than intel's offerings but that will change with broadwell and skylake. Those chips to my knowledge are meant for laptops and similar form factors while Nvidia's offerings are meant more for tablets and phones so they aren't comparable or competing against one another.

I know it's a VESA Standard but I've still yet to hear anything about it, if it's so great and requires no external hardware to use it why haven't I heard about loads of people making use of it?

That is true but from what I've seen the results aren't all that stellar and still don't justify it in my eyes. It's also only EA games, EA doesn't make every game and their current and future library is limited to the amount of games that one publisher could reasonably fund. In the grand scheme of gaming the number of EA games isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the number of games that are released every year which make Mantle even less of a factor when deciding between Nvidia and AMD.

I actually think that while they fall behind on the features side their performance is on par with Nvidia, it's their fight against Intel that they are thoroughly getting smashed in.

Some might find the extra functionality NVIDIA has to offer gimmicky or down right useless, but that doesn't change the fact that at least NVIDIA tries to offer its consumers something. Even then, NVIDIA cards have superior performance and power consumption with all these extra features. The only advantage AMD has IMO is their price-performance ratio.

First you threw me off by replying to what I said in the quote so there's that, I almost posted that you didn't do anything but quote me lol.

Anyways

AMD's mobile APU's are more of an attempt to get back the market from intel as their iGPU's are better on the lower end chips than intel's offerings but that will change with broadwell and skylake. Those chips to my knowledge are meant for laptops and similar form factors while Nvidia's offerings are meant more for tablets and phones so they aren't comparable or competing against one another.

I know it's a VESA Standard but I've still yet to hear anything about it, if it's so great and requires no external hardware to use it why haven't I heard about loads of people making use of it?

That is true but from what I've seen the results aren't all that stellar and still don't justify it in my eyes. It's also only EA games, EA doesn't make every game and their current and future library is limited to the amount of games that one publisher could reasonably fund. In the grand scheme of gaming the number of EA games isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the number of games that are released every year which make Mantle even less of a factor when deciding between Nvidia and AMD.

I actually think that while they fall behind on the features side their performance is on par with Nvidia, it's their fight against Intel that they are thoroughly getting smashed in.

Hahahaha. Too lazy man, sorry :P

There was a thread here with the list of games that will support mantle. Almost 24 games if im not mistaken.

Display manufacturers are not yet using the displayport 1.2a but still in the near future they will use it as it is much better than the previous ones.

Yep pretty much they will fall behind on the features, especially the people are pushing them to make new cpu and they are also in 2 markets. So i give them that. :)

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Hahahaha. Too lazy man, sorry :P

There was a thread here with the list of games that will support mantle. Almost 24 games if im not mistaken.

It's still not even a drop in the bucket, but like every feature that's offered it will come down to the individual to decide if their worth it or not. I know I'm not alone in wanting a complete package and being willing to pay more for it.

I probably wouldn't say that. AMD is not behind Intel in processor tech either, really only in manufacturing nodes. Amd's CPUs being different to intel's does not mean they have fallen behind.

Same goes for gpus I think, both AMD and nvidia are producing similarly performing products with minor differences.

In terms of extra features nvidia does offer more proprietary options. But those nvidia only features do most have alternatives.

At this moment game DVR is pretty much exactly the same as shadowplay. Both even annoy owners of previous Gen card owners by requiring 7000 and 600 series.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Shadow play? Game DVR

Gsync/Freesync

Physx Is just useless marketing feature that Nvidia used with Bordelands and such games, woooooow, waving flags, such realistic, much wow... AMD even has got a 3rd party Physx-like driver