Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

Guys, you wouldn't believe this. My jaw growing 3 hairs! This is a man first dream of wishing beard.

I know that feeling. :/

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Just wanted to pop in and wish everyone happy holidays in case I'm not around much soon (what else is new? :P )

Bonus

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I.

Am just.

So irritated.

UEFI must be fucking magic. Because things just keep working and not working randomly. It's supposed to stand for Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, but it's basically all a lie.

I've checked Secure Boot. It is disabled and the keys are unloaded. The OS is set to "Other OS" where the only other option is Windows UEFI. Even when it's disabled.

I've checked Compatibility Support Module. It's enabled and set to use UEFI first. I've also tried with it set to auto, and disabled.

I went through the process of installing Windows on both drives. Then I installed Debian on both drives. Then I rebooted into BIOS/UEFI and it listed all 4 possible boot options correctly (one Windows and Debian option per drive).

I reboot again after I realize I need to shrink my Debian image to make it fit. I jump into Live CD and dd the image over to the larger drive after I back up the current drive setup to a .img. Nothing special aside from setting the Block Size to 4K.

dd is a low level copy. It covers the GPT. I shouldn't have to worry about it as long as I just specify "/dev/sda" and grab the entire drive. I don't think a missing GPT is the issue.

Why the hell would it show all 4 UEFI partitions correctly the first time I reboot, then basically never show another UEFI partition again when I haven't touched the settings? All that "I've tried this" above is after I saw that I wasn't seeing any UEFI options. 

Not even the Live CD image on the USB is showing up as a UEFI option in the Boot Menu. I've gone into the Setup and checked, but nothing I change let's me boot UEFI anymore. I didn't touch the /boot or the EFI partition after I had everything working.

The only thing I did do was unplug some drives to make sure I was working out of the right one at times. And I only did that when the system was off. The drives are fine. I still see them. Just no UEFI option. Not a one. 

@Opask @TheProfosist @Charger 

do u wizards know anything of my plight? why is it so hard? @helping, is it another "feature" of ASUS' boards?

I saw that you can boot into an EFI Shell from my BIOS/UEFI setup menu. Is that an alternative to the BS I'm currently dealing with?

So it's clear and you guys understand what I'm going for:

1. I want to dual boot Windows 10 and Debian 8.2 on a GPT disk using UEFI. 
  2. I am currently setting up another separate disk for at work to do the exact same thing, but I'm doing this at home. Unplugging the second disk doesn't alleviate my troubles.
  3. I want to preserve my Windows 10 & Debian 8.2 current installations. I see no reason just dd-ing a partition over, when it's only a data partition, can't be done. However, I'm not at this stage yet. My issue is UEFI being so fickle about when I can boot to it when I change nothing.

This attempt at this was after nuking both drives. Then I followed this step-by-step process:

1. Install Windows 10 on both drives, giving the OS 50% of the space.
  2. Install Debian 8.2 on both drives, giving the OS the other 50% of the space. Debian's installer is intelligent enough to install around the Windows boot loader, preserving both installations.
  3. Log into all 4 installs to make sure they are working. They were.
  4. Update Debian 8.2's kernel from 3.16 to 4.2 on both installs of Debian. Could that be the problem? How would that break UEFI for all installations?

Which is when I realized I needed to shrink my backup of my Debian install, which made me dd it (the backup) over to the drive after backing up the dual boot installation. But it won't boot because "hur-dur, no UEFI". 

That is the entirety of the process up to this point. When swapping drives around, I could boot to each install fine. Now, none of them work. Even if they are the only drive plugged in. USB or SSD. Doesn't matter. No UEFI for me.

Is there only supposed to be 1 EFI Partition in a system? If that's the issue, when I dd'd my backup of my Debian 8.2 install, it should've brought another EFI partition with it (and it did, according to fdisk -l). One that was working fine when I backed it up. Even when that drive is the only thing plugged in, it can't boot to UEFI. No option appears in the Boot menu for it.

I just can't even. Can't. Even.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

>tries status=progress

>invalid status flag

>googles issue

>only ArchLinux currently has 8.24 verison of coreutils, while Debian & others have 8.23. Status=progress was added in 8.24.

Great. Time to update that.

>searches for coreutils package in Debian Package repo

>version 8.23-4

So I can't unless I manually build the package and install it myself. Not worth it. I'll just patiently wait.

:(

Of course.

Its been out on arch since July 5th. It hasn't been updated since July 9. So its probably pretty stable. Come on debian.

If I were you I would just build it yourself.

Edit:

@Vitalius

Yes there should only be one EFI partition. If its different physical disks there could be multiple. But only 1 per disk

Updating the kernel shouldn't be the issue.

I'm using a Asus Z97 board but it could be a "feature" on their x99 boards.

Umm the rest of this I have no clue. I haven't had these kinds of problems with uefi although I have had different ones.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

Yes there should only be one EFI partition. If it different physical disk there could be multiple. But only 1 per disk

Updating the kernel shouldn't be the issue.

I'm using a Asus Z97 board but it could be a "feature" on their x99 boards.

Umm the rest of this I have no clue. I haven't had these kinds of problems with uefi although I have had different ones.

Gotcha. There is only 1 per disk. And they are usually either the first or second partition. One disk has 4 partitions, while the other has 5. The one with 4 has M$ recovery, M$ data, Linux data, & EFI. The one with 5 has M$ Recovery, M$ Data, Linux Data, EFI, and swap. 

I figured. I was just curious because I noticed a "linux-image-3.16" and "linux-image-4.2" image was in the /boot on the EFI partition. So I figured it may do something.

If it is, I think ASUS just lost a customer. This is inexcusable for me. 50% because of how irritated it has made me. That I've tried literally every option I know of and not a thing has changed. And 50% because it's supposed to be Unified. Meaning the standard should be a standard. And I can already tell their's isn't what it is for other people. 

Well dang. Thanks anyway.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

*ahem* (is this thing on?)

How so?

here we go again, ahahahaha  :lol:

in any case that anime sucked hard, another good LN ruined by a rushed and stupid adaptation

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Ok @Vitalius Now I have some questions for you.

For reference I have installed zfs and its requirements and went ahead and created a pool out of the one partition on my 4tb drive.

1. Do I need to have it as pool if there is only one partition/drive or is there another way configure it?
  2. Should I turn atime off, leave it on, or use relatime? What do these do?
  3. Should I turn on compression if I'm planning on storing mostly media files?
  4. Are then any other things I should configure? I will probably tell zfs to scrub the filesystem once a week but is there anything else?

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

Ok @Vitalius Now I have some questions for you.

For reference I have installed zfs and its requirements and went ahead and created a pool out of the one partition on my 4tb drive.

• Do I need to have it as pool if there is only one partition/drive or is there another way configure it?
  • Should I turn atime off, leave it on, or use relatime? What do these do?
  • Should I turn on compression if I'm planning on storing mostly media files?
  • Are then any other things I should configure? I will probably tell zfs to scrub the filesystem once a week but is there anything else?
Here's the user guide for ZFS on Linux if you need it: https://pthree.org/2012/04/17/install-zfs-on-debian-gnulinux/

1. Yes. A pool of drives can be only 1 drive. To mount the drive, it has to be in a pool. Note that, from ZFS' perspective, a single drive is technically striped.

2. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ZFS - Atime is Access Time. Meaning, every time you access a file, the pool updates the file with that time. It's unnecessary for most people and is usually disabled. Relatime means that Access Time is only updated when Change or Modified Time has changed (like it does in Linux).

3. Possibly. Honestly, it just depends. How much of your media will be in a compressed format anyway? i.e. png vs jpg. Doubling down on compression has diminishing returns and would waste CPU cycles. However, I recommend using some kind of compression anyway. Just because some of them make a difference in speeds & sizes while not taking up as much CPU cycles.

https://cyberj0ck.wordpress.com/2014/05/05/my-review-of-the-freenas-mini-part-2/

Scroll down to NFS Throughput and look at his comparisons between the different compression methods in FreeNAS (note that those are only relevant for NFS though, CIFS & AFP likely won't be the same, but will be kinda similar).

4. Read this primer if you haven't: https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/zfsprimer.html

Read this slideshow if you haven't: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHapVfrocfwbXYxcGgycEIzNG8/edit?usp=sharing&pref=2&pli=1

The most important thing to remember, from the slideshow, imo, is the thing about how expanding pools works. It usually isn't easy and requires having a whole other system to back up to to make happen easily.

Edit:

And now my USB drive can't be seen by the boot menu **at all** when plugged into the same USB port it's been plugged into every time I've booted from it. It's a USB 2.0 port.

I moved it to a USB 3.0 port and it is working again. wtf. just wtf. Both are on the front panel.

† Christian Member †

@Vitalius

Alright awesome :)

I have previously read both the freenas mini thing and have been referencing and looking over the arch wiki page. The others I have not and will go ahead a look through.

I will probably just turn on relatime if thats what linux normally does.

For compression I think I will turn on LZ4 since according to the freenas article it performs quite well and thats also what the arch wiki recommends. Writes will be relatively infrequent other then the 900gb of anime and 100gb of music that I'm about to do and I'm using a speedy 4690k so it shouldn't bother the cpu.

Other then that I will finish looking over the articles and also limit the amount of ram ZFS can use since this drive is currently in my main rig. I will probably turn it down to 4gb or so for now.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

@Vitalius

Alright awesome :)

I have previously read both the freenas mini thing and have been referencing and looking over the arch wiki page. The others I have not and will go ahead a look through.

I will probably just turn on relatime if thats what linux normally does.

For compression I think I will turn on LZ4 since according to the freenas article it performs quite well and thats also what the arch wiki recommends. Writes will be relatively infrequent other then the 900gb of anime and 100gb of music that I'm about to do and I'm using a speedy 4690k so it shouldn't bother the cpu.

Other then that I will finish looking over the articles and also limit the amount of ram ZFS can use since this drive is currently in my main rig. I will probably turn it down to 4gb or so for now.

Awesome.

Ya, I'd do the same for both relatime & compression with LZ4. 

Cool. 

So, I'm back on my Windows 10 main install. I love dd sometimes. Literally just installed Windows 10 -> dd's the backup over the data partition -> back in business. Images and byte level copies are nice.

Now if only I could figure out my UEFI problem. :L

† Christian Member †

love these types of videos...

They make all kinds of anime weapons from things like meteors to plasma cut steel. Its pretty cool imo

I remember these guys. Awesome stuff....

Hot dam, Ilya the blacksmith knows his shit about the series.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

>only ArchLinux currently has 8.24 verison of coreutils, while Debian & others have 8.23. Status=progress was added in 8.24.

Actually any good source-based distro should. Gentoo does as well, currently.

Saw that one, it's OK... I'm sure they could have made it better.

If they added the etching of the runes onto the blade that would have been a plus. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Ok question! Do you guys think the forum-wide giveaway should be a one week entry period or two(Two weeks then it won't make it for Christmas, but it might not make it on time due to shipping anyway)?

Not gonna lie. Kinda hyped.

No Will Smith this time huh? 

Ok question! Do you guys think the forum-wide giveaway should be a one week entry period or two(Two weeks then it won't make it for Christmas, but it might not make it on time due to shipping anyway)?

No Will Smith this time huh? 

Two weeks.

Unless he cameos and they want to surprise, nope. 

New Superman VS Batman trailer is dope af. Has spoilers for the movie, but apparently what they show isn't the final act. There's going to be more. so much moar.

† Christian Member †

Ok question! Do you guys think the forum-wide giveaway should be a one week entry period or two

One week.

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

I'm not that hyped but I hope it's good, the CGI doesn't look that great though.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

-snip-

Why does everything look familiar? But not familiar enough for me to identify the sources...

I watched Independence Day again and again since I was a kid... but somehow this does not look like Independence Day to me...

Fuck i love rainmeter

I do to but my old pc didn't lol

It would have a heart attack every time i tried to make a custom desktop

havent tried it on my new pc but i would be pissed if it didn't run good

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Actually any good source-based distro should. Gentoo does as well, currently.

you dont normally see people talking positively about gentoo but that is probably because it doesn't do everything for you like debian or redhat(is that even still a popular distro?)lol 

Saw that one, it's OK... I'm sure they could have made it better.

agreed a lot of the stuff they have been making has kind of looked like shit but I tend to over looked because I assume there is a fast turn around time on them.

I would have said 2 weeks and that you should have already started it if you wanted it to them by xmas. At this point I dont know if even one would get to them by then anyways