How did you guys save up for your PC?

Go to solution Solved by lani100,

Work, Repair some stuff for family and friends and ask some money for the jobs and I buy some used hardware and build computers and sell them with a llittle profit.

All my builds have come from my work, some i can claim on TAX (dodgy)

I have 4 build,, all quite expensive.

Approximate expenditure

#1 $1100 AU

#2 $2300 AU

#3 $7500 AU

#4 $4500 AU

Build #3 is my STH100 Quad 680 build, Very expensive at the time of purchase. :(

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

Part time job at Woolworths while I was in school and saved up for a couple of months and spent close to $2000 including monitor, keyboard and mouse.

My PC was £3k, that is half a months wages, so pretty simple...

I joke, I just paid for it with regular income from my job (and some of my student loans) Although my PC is not particualry expensive or beast so it wasn't too difficult. I'm really jealous of like 13 year old children with MEGA rigs that their parents just paid for.

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

Saved money from my PhD scholarship. 
Took me about 3 months to have enough for £2000.
If you're wondering i'm getting approximately £1100 a month.

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

Mine only cost me around $500 because my uncle gave me his extra GTX 580 :D

And I worked part time for around 2 months

I with my uncle had spare high end graphics cards lying around :D Hopefully my future newphews get this though :P

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Birthday and Christmas presents 2 years running 1 was the pc and the next the monitors and the graphics card I bought myself by selling my xbox stuff

Working at maccas on $9.50/h got me a macbook pro 13"... goddamn was that a busy year

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

-   BBR4 Hackintosh   - Server Rig

I worked a part-time job doing whatever I was asked to do for my gran and her neighbours. I spent the summer with my gran when my parents went to America with my sister. Just cleaning ditches doing some farm work and some other stuff.

Working + programmed savings did the trick, my first and actual build cost me ~1000 US, including everything (I didn't even had a mouse).

now I need to do the same to get a good IKEA desk + good office chair and maybe a second monitor.

Looking around,

bla bla bla this, meh that!

Saving money from lunch for about one year!! HAHA  :lol: Lost some weight though...

Spoiler

I hang outside the local data centers to beg for spare bit-coins and sometimes rummage through their recycle bins for nand-gates, I once got a flip-flop circuit and flipped all my bit-coins to make a byte!

Did work on a death star once before some hoodlums blew it up :(

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Did work on a death star once before some hoodlums blew it up :(

You know the saying *shit happens*, I think that is applicable right about now :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Two years ago I received a sizeable tax return from the good ol' ATO. Then I waited until a decent array of parts were available. Then I ordered them and built this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/13eyI

Moved money from savings?

How did I justify spending that much? I Quit Smoking. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

working my part time job and a loan from my parents (2k total build price)

Lots of young forum members, saving up lunch money, xmas money, birthday money, pocket money. Its quite amusing.

Lots of young forum members, saving up lunch money, xmas money, birthday money, pocket money. Its quite amusing.

It's better than just asking for an old console for Christmas. :P

Military stationed in south korea with no bills and nothing to spend my money on but my computer. Upgrades are coming hard and fast.

I paid for my rig through a software engineering intership, why not spend money on the very thing that helps  you make more money :P  (Total Spent on rig $3200)

Well the first wave of hardware came out of my pension, I saved up for a while and when i had enoguh i boguht the starting hardware, cost me 1200.
then i got a job, its been six months since that initial 1200 and i've spent another 2400. lol

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I had money I saved up in high school for the purpose of buying a computer for college. Was going to get a 15" MacBook Pro Retina, but I decided to look up how to build a computer, for no particular reason. I decided after a couple YouTube videos that I really wanted to build my own. So I ended up splitting my money between a sweet desktop PC for power & games and a MacBook Air for school & portability. It can handle some games too, so that's a plus.

I built min up over time and I regret that. So I ended up getting a horrible price for almost everything in my build. If I was going to build it today then It would be around $1700.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/13rLY

Lesson learned by building PC from scratch: BUY ESSENTIAL PARTS AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

Saving money from school stipends and pocket money as well as holiday gifts.