CPU design of the European Processor Initiative revealed

Drama Lama

The EU has their EPI which aims to make the EU less dependent from foreign chipmakers.

26 companies under the lead of French SiPearl  develop processors for HPC, autonomes cars, military and critical infrastructure  with ARM and RISC-V architectures

Now a photo by the French politician Alexandra Dublanche  at the SiPearl headquarters near Paris revealed a 72 core ARM cpu design that is estimated to be produced in TSMC 7nm lithography and use ARM Neoverse „ Zeuss „ cores and they told that also RISC-V tech is used.

( similar to Cortex A 77 )

Spoiler

17404BFF-59CB-4256-A83B-E2EE6A9FBFAC.jpeg

Originally it was rumored that the first generation of Rhea processors would be made as general purpose cpus with TSMC 6nm lithography and ARM and released in 2021 

We can detail 72 CPU cores and 68 mesh network L3 cache slices in the floor plan, surrounded by various IP whose labels are too small to be legible. SiPearl had previously confirmed that the project uses Arm’s upcoming Neoverse “Zeus” cores which succeed the Neoverse N1 Ares cores that are being used in current generation Arm server SoC designs such as Amazon’s Graviton2 or Ampere’s Altra.

Beyond the confirmation of a core-count, we also see that the Rhea design sports a high-end memory subsystem, with the floor plan labelled as having 4x HBM2E controllers and 4-6 DDR5 controllers. Such a hybrid memory system would allow for extremely high bandwidth to be able to feed such a large number of cores, while still falling back to regular DIMMs to be able to scale in memory capacity.

My thoughts:

it‘s interesting to see states pushing open cpu designs when others want their own proprietary tech with backdoors

but in my opinion there’s a problem in the whole initiative 

the EU has no sub 14 nm fabs and that one 14 nm fab is owned by intel 

so the  most modern one is actually global foundries with 22nm and that is owned by UAE 

so not really „ independent „ chipmaking

Sources:

https://www.heise.de/news/EPI-Rhea-HPC-Europa-Prozessor-mit-72-ARM-Kernen-4888679.html

( article that I first read ( German )

https://www.heise.de/hintergrund/Digitale-Souveraenitaet-bei-Prozessoren-4876945.html

( Information about EPI )

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16072/sipearl-lets-rhea-design-leak-72x-zeus-cores-4x-hbm2e-46-ddr5

Twitter Post:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ADublanche/status/1303273357069225985?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1303273357069225985|twgr^share_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.anandtech.com%2Fshow%2F16072%2Fsipearl-lets-rhea-design-leak-72x-zeus-cores-4x-hbm2e-46-ddr5

this is my one of my first tech news posts so 

please correct me if there is something wrong or if you have any suggestions 

Because it can help me improve in the future 

thanks

Edited by Drama Lama
Added a photo

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

3 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

please correct me if there is something wrong or if you have any suggestions 

Because it can help me improve in the future

I think you have to add some actual input of your own (i.e. your personal opinion on the subject). It would also help if you could remove the spurious blank lines (which, to be fair, might be accidentally caused by copy and paste)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

12 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I think you have to add some actual input of your own (i.e. your personal opinion on the subject). It would also help if you could remove the spurious blank lines (which, to be fair, might be accidentally caused by copy and paste)

Thanks. Is it now better?

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

not made by EU companies and ARM is also not an EU thing. Sounds more like Raspberry Pi with a big dream

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

So an IoT risc chip.  72 cores is a lot though. I’m only counting 60 max on that pinned up paper pictured on the wall, but that’s still a lot.  If they’re doing core doubling stupidity like AMD did with bulldozer that still leaves 24 cores which is still a lot. There are IoT chips that make do with one core.  Leaves a lot of room to perform Hackery on spare cores. Are they really really simple cores or something?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

not made by EU companies and ARM is also not an EU thing. Sounds more like Raspberry Pi with a big dream

They want to build a supercomputer 

( don’t know if they want to use this exact cpu)

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

21 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

EU: We want to be less dependant on foreign chip makers!

*Made in Taiwan

*IP purchased from UK

7 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

*IP purchased from UK

that is owned by an Japanese company 

IP from a foundation based in Switzerland 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

9 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Depends on what you classify as "EU made".

SiPearl, the company that designed the chip, is European (French to be more precise).

It will be manufactured by a Taiwanese company (TSMC) but the machines TSMC uses are from a Dutch company called ASML.

The architecture used in the CPU cores is from ARM, which is a British company (ARM Holding) which for the last 4 years have been owned by a Japanese company (SoftBank).

It's hard to classify any product as "made by a X company" if you don't allow some part of the manufacturing or design to be done by a company from another country.

I‘m still interested in the outcome 

maybe in two decades you‘ll buy your powerful cpu by Bosch ;)

( probably not )

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

11 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

architecture used in the CPU cores is from ARM,

Right but

they plan also to use RISC-V

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Russia is actually much more ahead in the "homegrown" CPU designs. Their E2K processors are build upon a native ISA (VLIW machine architecture) with an x86 emulation layer, produced in their own fabs. Of course, it is meant mostly for government and academic institutions, so market competition is not the scope of the design.

6 minutes ago, DuckDodgers said:

produced in their own fabs.

Nope

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15823/russias-elbrus-8cb-microarchitecture-8core-vliw-on-tsmc-28nm/

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Aren't like a lot of Taiwanese fabs got their machines from EU?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

28 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Aren't like a lot of Taiwanese fabs got their machines from EU?

I think you are taking about Dutch company ASML

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 hour ago, Drama Lama said:

I think you are taking about Dutch company ASML

Is this Dutch company capable of doing the kind of work done at the Asian fans with their machines?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Is this Dutch company capable of doing the kind of work done at the Asian fans with their machines?

Of course not 

and can they make their lasers and lenses on their own?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

2 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Of course not 

and can they make their lasers and lenses on their own?

Dutch company’s days are numbered then. 

Heh, so just design ARM based and manufacture on others fabs. For a moment I dreamed actual new owned EU fab with maybe x86-64 heh... Yeah I know... 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

x86-64

Owned by Intel 

and licensed to AMD and Via 

( other license holders have lost their license or were bought by these three )

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

16 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Owned by Intel 

Yeah on CPU front it's complicated I know. Though seeing another ARM derivative isn't a exciting. On GPU side it's like anyone can try to go for it without so many license and patent headaches. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

Owned by Intel 

This is not correct.
x86-64 is owned by AMD and licenced to Intel and Via.

While just x86 was created by Intel and licenced to AMD and Via and others, not sure if the patents on that have run out yet or not tho.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking