WARNING: RANT!! why can't computers ever just be reliable

38 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

To me MacOS is worth it and price wise they're about par with windows options plus a couple of hundred for the OS. MacBooks are a lot nicer to use than windows machines too. 

macbook

windows laptop

a mac

a similarly priced pc

so the problem here is, these two examples show how overpriced mac is, not a few hundred but 600-700, with the windows laptop still having better performance and the pc too

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

I've built dozens of custom PCs in the past few years and pretty much none had issues that weren't immediately visible and easy to diagnose like a DOA PSU or some other part. Other than that - no issues. So it may be likely that there's something you're missing or doing incorrectly and you're not even aware of it.

May be bad luck in theory, but if it's almost every PC you build then I'm sorry to say it starts to look like a pattern, and not just bad luck.

From my experience diagnosing various PC issues for various people, in about 70% of cases the PEBCAK is at fault. PEBCAK means - Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard ;) The rest is usually bad configuration or defective parts.

You're saying that Apple products such as Macs are more reliable - besides the OS variance, the underlying hardware is the same. CPUs are normal Intel CPUs, GPUs are normal AMD/Nvidia GPUs, RAMs are normal third-party RAM modules, they are regular devices with just as many issues as other Windows-based devices in the same price range. There's no magic there - the difference is that they are made so the average user has little-to-no say in configuration and customization because they assume that their customers are... Let's just call them not very tech-savvy :) (which may be a competely valid approach).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I've built dozens of custom PCs in the past few years and pretty much none had issues that weren't immediately visible and easy to diagnose like a DOA PSU or some other part. Other than that - no issues. So it may be likely that there's something you're missing or doing incorrectly and you're not even aware of it.

May be bad luck in theory, but if it's almost every PC you build then I'm sorry to say it starts to look like a pattern, and not just bad luck.

exactly havent had any problems with my computers until i start fucking with them, i.e. flashing an xt bios to a non xt card, installing an ubuntu dual boot and choosing the wrong partition, giving it the big zap... i do reinstall windows yearly but i mean you can always go linux, your not gonna be limiting your app choice more than you are with mac.

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, DavidKalinowski said:

To each their own, at the price I'm buying new either way lol.

well i can get those a lot chepaer than this, but at this price you're getting devices that are completely scratch free. if you don't care about that they go for a lot less too. 

3 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

macbook

windows laptop

a mac

a similarly priced pc

so the problem here is, these two examples show how overpriced mac is, not a few hundred but 600-700, with the windows laptop still having better performance and the pc too

you are guessing performance based on specs. 

get that windows laptop and the macbook you picked, install final cut pro on the Mac and Premiere on the windows machine and render a video on both. we'll see which one wins. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

macbook

windows laptop

a mac

a similarly priced pc

Um... I can't see the PC but if you need a Mac Pro a PC won't cut it for you because you get a Mac Pro for software written for Mac (Logic for example).

You're really trying to compare a macbook to a plastic laptop with a horrendous screen, keyboard, trackpad, battery and weights nearly half a kilo more? And doesn't run MacOS? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

2 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

But what's the battery life like? What's the screen like? What's the keyboard like? What's the trackpad like? 

This is the issue with people on here, specs aren't the be all and end all. Plus i would like to see the result of the Macbook running final cut vs that running adobe and see which one renders quicker. 

final cut is a mac specific software IIRC. make them both run adobe for a fair comparison. I've used macbooks, I dont like them. I've used win based PCs, I dont like either. I hate track pads in general. the screen on the one I specd should be decent, 1920x1080 with full sRGB color support. as for battery life, its probably decent I have not looked up any more than the base specs I posted earlier.

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

You're saying that Apple products such as Macs are more reliable - besides the OS variance, the underlying hardware is the same. CPUs are normal Intel CPUs, GPUs are normal AMD/Nvidia GPUs, RAMs are normal third-party RAM modules, they are regular devices with just as many issues as other Windows-based devices in the same price range. There's no magic there - the difference is that they are made so the user has little-to-no say in configuration and customization because they assume that their customers are... Let's just call them not very tech-savvy :) (which may be a competely valid approach).

they won't be using normal hardware for long lol. 

but, there are other changes. the firmware and drivers are totally different for example. 

Just now, DavidKalinowski said:

final cut is a mac specific software IIRC. make them both run adobe for a fair comparison

the whole point of a Mac is having access to apple programs like final cut

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

well i can get those a lot chepaer than this, but at this price you're getting devices that are completely scratch free. if you don't care about that they go for a lot less too. 

you are guessing performance based on specs. 

get that windows laptop and the macbook you picked, install final cut pro on the Mac and Premiere on the windows machine and render a video on both. we'll see which one wins. 

i am not guessing i am stating the obvious. 

and final cut pro is mac only as said above, if you would like me to post some online benchmarks i would be glad to.

AMD blackout rig

Just now, DavidKalinowski said:

final cut is a mac specific software IIRC. make them both run adobe for a fair comparison. I've used macbooks, I dont like them. I've used win based PCs, I dont like either. I hate track pads in general. the screen on the one I specd should be decent, 1920x1080 with full sRGB color support. as for battery life, its probably decent I have not looked up any more than the base specs I posted earlier.

Which negates one of the best things about the mac? You get Macs for the software mainly, that's like saying MacOS has just as many titles for gaming as Windows if you don't count all the ones that don't run on MacOS. 

2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

but, there are other changes. the firmware and drivers are totally different for example. 

the whole point of a Mac is having access to apple programs like final cut

definitely not worth it when there's literally hundreds of windows alternatives, there is no upside to specifically buying a mac for mac features, the whole mac software makes no sense and is used when the discussion starts going downhill it seems like

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

i am not guessing i am stating the obvious. 

and final cut pro is mac only as said above, if you would like me to post some online benchmarks i would be glad too.

Look at the editing challenge when the PC had 2 keyboards, a mouse, better specs and all the macros in the world pre programmed in and still lost to a MacBook Pro with an external SSD. 

Just now, Lord Vile said:

Look at the editing challenge when the PC had 2 keyboards, a mouse, better specs and all the macros in the world pre programmed in and still last to a MacBook Pro with an external SSD. 

and remember taran lost a file and premiere crashed. 

She/Her

Just now, Ashley xD said:

i ran catalina since the beta and it's been stable the entire time... 

Same 

4 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

True, let's see how it goes for them and their sales ;) I already know a few IT professionals that use MacBooks for work and they are about to ditch Apple because of that move, since it restricts their ability to run Windows.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

Look at the editing challenge when the PC had 2 keyboards, a mouse, better specs and all the macros in the world pre programmed in and still lost to a MacBook Pro with an external SSD. 

care to link?

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

thats more of a taran vs justine comparison 

Just now, spartaman64 said:

thats more of a taran vs justine comparison 

But the Mac won and if you take away all of the custom macros and peripherals the gap would have been even wider.

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

care to link?

Twonk:

2 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

But the Mac won and if you take away all of the custom macros and peripherals the gap would have been even wider.

it just showed that premiere is an unoptimized buggy pos which we already knew. they should have used resolve instead.

Just now, spartaman64 said:

it just showed that premiere is an unoptimized buggy pos which we already knew. they should have used resolve instead.

Which would have been even further behind because they don't use it. Resolve is still slower than FC anyway. 

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Yeah, Resolve is already killing Premiere. 

have used both and prefer Resolve 100x times over. 

10 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

this video was a competition between editors more than anything, she has little experience with windows, 2 keyboards doesnt matter unless youre have four hands and 3 brains so thats not big deal. whoever from ltt also has more experience and knowledge being a literal paid editor, time editing videos doesnt matter, and is not a show of your skill.

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

kinda funny how resolve being a free software still shreks both final cut and premier. 

AMD blackout rig