cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

35 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

The one they measured was H265 which is dumb because no one with 2 brain cells would use it. 

they also mentioned an earlier test which idk why they didnt make a chart for

MacBook using Compressor you are maxing out the GPU and using a small portion of the CPU the one minute project took 3 minutes and 54 seconds. Not the most impressive numbers.

Using the same settings in Resolve it seems to be able to use more of the computer’s processing power, though it does kick on the fans. This resulted in a massive improvement in speed, lowering export times to just 1 minute 41 seconds, or twice as fast.

6 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

they also mentioned an earlier test which idk why they didnt make a chart for

Probably because it wasn't as "shocking". 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

10 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

but the speed and other spec is validated first. 

So like every other memory stick, ever made? :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I don't quite get the rant though... You're complaining that a few randomly thrown together parts that were used and cheap as hell are not working for you and that a Mac is better therefore? If you'd spend even half as much money on well thought-out and newly bought parts for a PC as you'd spend on a macbook you wouldn't have this problem right now...

All systems I built run till this date or were upgraded for performance reasons, hell an old athlon 7750BE build is still going strong with original cheapo psu, ram and motherboard. I admit, one bitfenix case ruined the statistics (prodigy) as it had a bad cable connecting the PSU to the back of the case and that thing actually smoked away (the cable, not the pc... PSU saved me there)...

But you're comparing apples to helicopters at this point... Cheap, used, not really fitting parts thrown together are supposed to perform as stable as a mac that costs maybe 10x as much as your current components... Well... That's not gonna work.

If you want stable then get new components and put them together well. You won't get an extremely cheap and stable system (except for maybe some old Dell on ebay) at the same time, neither with a mac nor with a PC.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

4 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

So like every other memory stick, ever made? :P

i meant that the speed and other spec is validated to work with the machine. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, -iSynthesis said:

I don't quite get the rant though... You're complaining that a few randomly thrown together parts that were used and cheap as hell are not working for you and that a Mac is better therefore? If you'd spend even half as much money on well thought-out and newly bought parts for a PC as you'd spend on a macbook you wouldn't have this problem right now...

you say that. but i actually bought a pc from brand new parts before, that wasn't cheap, and it broke after like a year. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

you say that. but i actually bought a pc from brand new parts before, that wasn't cheap, and it broke after like a year. 

idk what to tell you ive built 6 pcs 2 for me 1 for my sister 3 for my friends and only one of my friends had some issues which i came over and i forgot exactly what it is but i fixed it in like 20 minutes. 2 of my friends had their pcs for like 6 years now ive had my first pc for 8 and so did one of my other friends. my sister had hers for like 3 months and ive had my current pc for 4 months and ive never had an instance where one of them just "broke"

17 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i meant that the speed and other spec is validated to work with the machine. 

Well, yeah - in every enterprise-oriented machine the sticks are validated to work with the mobo and the IMC, however that doesn't change the fact that the modules used by Apple in the Mac Pro are literally the cheapest possible from that manufacturer, the worst ones. Considering the price Apple charges for RAM upgrades, it's just not a good look.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

however that doesn't change the fact that the modules used by Apple in the Mac Pro are literally the cheapest possible from that manufacturer, the worst ones. Considering the price Apple charges for RAM upgrades, it's just not a good look.

that's another story. inexcusable in my opinion. every apple machine i've used that had it's original ram (or at least the original capacity, you never know with used computers) still worked ok and the sticks didn't look like cheap crap or something. maybe they changed their supplier or something with the mac pro?

She/Her

15 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

idk what to tell you ive built 6 pcs 2 for me 1 for my sister 3 for my friends and only one of my friends had some issues which i came over and i forgot exactly what it is but i fixed it in like 20 minutes. 2 of my friends had their pcs for like 6 years now ive had my first pc for 8 and so did one of my other friends. my sister had hers for like 3 months and ive had my current pc for 4 months and ive never had an instance where one of them just "broke"

well it happened to me. mobo died, won't even turn on anymore. later i learned that the cpu is also dead when i tried it in a new board. that turned on but didn't post with that cpu in it. 

She/Her

Just now, Ashley xD said:

that's another story. inexcusable in my opinion. every apple machine i've used that had it's original ram (or at least the original capacity, you never know with used computers) still worked ok and the sticks didn't look like cheap crap or something. maybe they changed their supplier or something with the mac pro?

No, it's just that when a memory manufacturer like Micron creates the memory chips, they are segregated (binned) to differentiate between the higher-end ones and the lower-end ones, despite being made on the same production line. Then Micron prices those segregated memory chips depending on how well they clock relative to voltages necessary - Apple just chose the cheapest ones in the entire product stack, meaning they're the worst ones out of the entire production line - they may clock lower, require higher voltages and/or looser timings. That doesn't mean they'll break sooner or anything, they're just lower quality chips.

With that in mind the memory pricing in the Mac Pro doesn't look like good value ;)

Just now, Ashley xD said:

well it happened to me. mobo died, won't even turn on anymore. later i learned that the cpu is also dead when i tried it in a new board. that turned on but didn't post with that cpu in it. 

maybe you have a defective psu seems sort of unlikely they would fail independently which psu did you have

6 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

That sounds more like a power surge. Or just a low end board with bad power management. Do you remember what model the board was?

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

maybe you have a defective psu seems sort of unlikely they would fail independently which psu did you have

AX860, and it's still known good and works fine in the pc a friend has (i gave him that psu since i no longer need it)

1 minute ago, DavidKalinowski said:

That sounds more like a power surge. Or just a low end board with bad power management. Do you remember what model the board was?

Gigabyte B250M-DS3H, and the pc was plugged in to an extention lead with a surge protector built in. i had other stuff plugged into it and that continued working, and on top of that the power network where i live is stable so... 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Ashley xD said:

I mean, at some point the probability of another underlying fault is getting really damn high. Take a 3% RMA rate (which is set high as far as I can find infos on, also user error included) on motherboards, add a few % for tolerance to like 5% and assume the same rate for CPU you're looking at like, a fraction of a percent of probability of all of those components failing on you in a row, which seems to be supported by the general consensus around here.

Either you're seriously damn unlucky, there's an underlying problem such as power delivery etc., or user error.

I'm not questioning you on that it did happen, but rather why it happened...

Anyways, I'll give off my few tipps from the faults I had occur and maybe it helps.

- General system instability. Crashes in games, seemingly completely random and not necessarily in stress tests

Cause: Usage of different Ram modules, resulting in one running on CL7 through the XMP even though it's only rated for CL9. Make sure to set the correct Timings and Memory speeds, my bios defaulted to XMP which was WRONG.

- Also memory related, some type of seating error of the CPU resulting in a faulty connection to the memory lanes (or a bent pin maybe) -> Try different ram slots, or only one dimm and different slots with that

- Check correct seating of ALL cables. If you have the possibility, try it with different cables (especially for GPU Power f.e.), but also motherboard and CPU power

- Check if there's maybe something shorting some part of the motherboard or GPU on the back or front (piece of metal, motherboard standoff, ...)

- General piece of advice: If you think you can safely say that a certain component is not at fault, don't rely on it. Try it with a different one (GPU, iGPU f.e.) and only then move on. I cannot count the amount of times I've searched for an error for it to turn out to be something I in the very beginning safely said wasn't the fault

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

1 hour ago, Ashley xD said:

AX860, and it's still known good and works fine in the pc a friend has (i gave him that psu since i no longer need it)

Gigabyte B250M-DS3H, and the pc was plugged in to an extention lead with a surge protector built in. i had other stuff plugged into it and that continued working, and on top of that the power network where i live is stable so... 

I guess you could have just been unlucky and got a bad board, I've got a Gigabyte Ga-P35-DS3L that still going strong after like 12 years. And thats running both the CPU and RAM over clocked. 

2 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

Again, like I said a few pages back, % failure rates aren't 0%. Years ago, I got 3 GPU that fail one after the other right after the manufacturers warranty ran out (literally 3-4 months after). From 3 different manufacturers. It sucks, but didn't mean that GPUs at that time were of bad quality, I just happened to have an unlucky stretch ! (1 was nvidia, 2 others were AMD, installed on different systems, it wasn't the PCs or the PSUs since it didn't happened again after replacing the GPUs).

This can also happen with a Mac, an HP, a Dell, or a custom PC. It's not fun, but it's something you have to keep in mind (I was expecting my wife's Acer laptop to die a few months after the warranty ran out ... funny enough, it's still running fine to this day! Bought it in late 2012 or early 2013 I think! lol). It would be totally different if you got something that broke under warranty, got it fixed, and it broke again (that also has happened to me, that's why I'm personally not buying Asus ever again!).

Seems like you're unlucky with technology! :( That reminds me of a family member, he was unlucky with employment for about 6 years. He's ok now, but a while ago, and for 6 years, he couldn't keep a job and it genuinely wasn't his fault (one place went bankrupt, the next job was a charity and after a while they lost part of the gov. funding so they had to fire the last few employees hired, then the next one was sold and "restructured" and the last job, the owner died, his son took over and drove the business to the ground ... then he found the job he still has now, and it's all good, but he was very discouraged, and it's understandable, same here, I get that you're completely discouraged with the luck you've had).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

8 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

Only issues I’ve had are with windows and me fucking with drivers, which is why I would love to use Linux, but I can’t play al the games I want to on Linux

AMD blackout rig

3 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Only issues I’ve had are with windows and me fucking with drivers, which is why I would love to use Linux, but I can’t play al the games I want to on Linux

Yeah, that's what's going on with this ThinkPad W540 I got. Everything runs fine in Linux but it turns into a stuttering mess inside Windows (7 & 10). In Windows, it also has problems waking up from sleep unless I turn off fast boot. No idea why. This is the only of the only times I've run into problems with a PC that wasn't my fault in some way. (One was a hard drive failure on my old gaming desktop and another was bad drivers on a wifi adapter I bought for my AMD build causing BSOD.)

12 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, yeah - in every enterprise-oriented machine the sticks are validated to work with the mobo and the IMC, however that doesn't change the fact that the modules used by Apple in the Mac Pro are literally the cheapest possible from that manufacturer, the worst ones. Considering the price Apple charges for RAM upgrades, it's just not a good look.

Citation Needed.

Apple isn't going to put parts in a machine that perform poorly on purpose. They decide on a target and that's what they hit. If the target is 12 hours of battery life for a laptop, that's what they design it around, and you can't change the parts.

The Mac Pro on the other hand is designed the other way around, where the put the highest performing parts the system can use in it. Mac Pro's use 2933MHz DDR4 PC4-23400 RDIMM's, which are ECC.

Your average desktop uses non-ECC memory. That doesn't sound like "cheapest possible"

To be honest I have 5 PC's in my house that have zero issues.  That is, issues not caused by me being a tool and messing with shit I don't understand.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

51 minutes ago, mr moose said:

To be honest I have 5 PC's in my house that have zero issues.  That is, issues not caused by me being a tool and messing with shit I don't understand.

*trys to mess with ram timings* 

pc: spits out ram error 

me: now I wonder why that is?

AMD blackout rig

Me: *opens Afterburner, does a crazy overclock*

My graphics card: *keeps crashing because the OC is hella unstable*

Me: surprisedpikachu.png

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1