WARNING: RANT!! why can't computers ever just be reliable

5 hours ago, Kisai said:

Citation Needed.

Apple isn't going to put parts in a machine that perform poorly on purpose. They decide on a target and that's what they hit. If the target is 12 hours of battery life for a laptop, that's what they design it around, and you can't change the parts.

The Mac Pro on the other hand is designed the other way around, where the put the highest performing parts the system can use in it. Mac Pro's use 2933MHz DDR4 PC4-23400 RDIMM's, which are ECC.

Your average desktop uses non-ECC memory. That doesn't sound like "cheapest possible"

You clearly didn't understand. The RAM chips that Apple used in the Mac Pro are the cheapest ECC modules that Micron has in their portfolio with 2933MHz clock speed, but CL22 latency, which is horrible. And yet when adding memory to the Mac Pro they cost more than higher-end parts.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

19 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

You clearly didn't understand. The RAM chips that Apple used in the Mac Pro are the cheapest ECC modules that Micron has in their portfolio with 2933MHz clock speed, but CL22 latency, which is horrible. And yet when adding memory to the Mac Pro they cost more than higher-end parts.

2933 clock is what OEM's are all using. 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/workstations-isv-certified/precision-7920-tower-workstation/spd/precision-7920-workstation/

Compare

image.thumb.png.bf98c3dae7111652a9995f6eb0e12108.png

image.png.2aa586f29529056a0ef1865456429730.png

That is not even that big of a gap in price the more RAM you buy. Some of Dell's options there are actually more.

8 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That is not even that big of a gap in price the more RAM you buy. Some of Dell's options there are actually more.

You're talking about something else entirely now - and didn't address what I said - they're the cheapest, slowest 2933MHz ECC memory chips that Micron has in their entire product stack, with CL22 latency. If you asked Micron about chips that are worse than what Apple buys from them, they'd tell you they don't have anything cheaper with those specs. And they cost far from a sensible price considering all that with the Mac Pro.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

4 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

You're talking about something else entirely now - and didn't address what I said - they're the cheapest, slowest 2933MHz ECC memory chips that Micron has in their entire product stack, with CL22 latency. If you asked Micron about chips that are worse than what Apple buys from them, they'd tell you they don't have anything cheaper with those specs. And they cost far from a sensible price considering all that with the Mac Pro.

4 hours ago, Kisai said:

2933 clock is what OEM's are all using. 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/workstations-isv-certified/precision-7920-tower-workstation/spd/precision-7920-workstation/

Compare

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.bf98c3dae7111652a9995f6eb0e12108.png

Spoiler

image.png.2aa586f29529056a0ef1865456429730.png

@Morgan MLGman is the MVP of this thread,each and every answer of his here is a bullseye,

He seems very knowledgeable and accurate in his answers,and he is right.

And that comes from an enthusiast with a decade of experience (Me).

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 7/20/2020 at 11:51 AM, Letgomyleghoe said:

how overpriced mac is

Apple is a premium brand, targeting rich people who have a lot of money to spend.

Apple is being apple.

They have a polished OS (at least in my experience), and that is definitely not worth it, but imagine saying the same comparing a tote bag to a Gucci bag. The tote bag does the job better, and is a lot cheaper, but the Gucci gives you a status: Your Rich.

People earn on average 40% more if they own an iPhone vs Android.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

7 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Like I said, Citation needed. The only reference I find to the CL online is some twitter user who entered the chip id numbers from the stock image in the RAM upgrade kit. 7 months ago.

Unless you have a Mac Pro or know someone with a Mac Pro who actually can pull a module and take a picture, at best, you're just repeating some guess from a person on the internet who doesn't even have the machine.

OEM's like Dell, do not even use the same RAM in the same product line. Just like they don't use the same flash memory in the same product line. 

For example, in that twitter thread:

with the amount of components that make up a modern pc, it's almost a guarantee that one of them is inevitably going to suffer a problem somewhere down the line.

although you can do things to make sure that happens later, rather than sooner.

cables and power supplies are usually the first things to go for me, and the most simple solutions are often the correct ones.

4 hours ago, wall03 said:

People earn on average 40% more if they own an iPhone vs Android.

i want a citation here. besides are they counting people who buy used phones? 

She/Her