Samsung reportedly won’t include chargers with some phones starting next year

FootFetish
Just now, RejZoR said:

If you think Apple or Samsung will charge you less for base device because of it, you're so wrong it's not even funny.

I've never bought a brand new smartphone my 5S (which got a battery swap after 2-3 years) and now 6S (going to get one again at 2-3 years) are both refurbished. the last phone I "bought" new was an LG slide phone back like 10 years ago

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

5 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I've never bought a brand new smartphone my 5S (which got a battery swap after 2-3 years) and now 6S (going to get one again at 2-3 years) are both refurbished. the last phone I "bought" new was an LG slide phone back like 10 years ago

That's entirely irrelevant information quite frankly... No one cares if you got it used, refurbished or new. That's your choice.

4 hours ago, FootFetish said:

Samsung being cheap.

????

explain
Why would they include something no one needs?

3 minutes ago, poochyena said:

????

explain
Why would they include something no one needs?

"No one needs."

Phones required to charge in order to work.

Something doesn't add up here...

59 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

"No one needs."

Phones required to charge in order to work.

Something doesn't add up here...

You'll have a hard time finding someone who is buying a phone and needs an additional charger.

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

You'll have a hard time finding someone who is buying a phone and needs an additional charger.

Because you get one with every device. Just wait for few years and all of a sudden we'll all be paying same for phones we do now, except you'll have to buy a charger extra. Congrats, you all played yourselves.

7 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I like it to cut waste. most people didn't need the 10th microB and 5W wall wart again.

and i wouldnt care about waste lol. if i buy a 500+ euro phone i better be getting a damm charger with it. its always handy to have an extra one. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

7 hours ago, FootFetish said:

Summary

Samsung will not include charger with some phones on next year 2021. Samsung assume everyone has compatible charger. Samsung being cheap. Apple might do the same thing too.

Quotes

My thoughts

I don't like this. If I purchase a $400 phone then it is better come with a charger for me. How much do I save with no charger? $10? That is like saying company use micro USB charging instead USB C in 2020 because they want to save 50 cents on it.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/8/21317304/samsung-smartphone-chargers-2021-cost-environment

yep i agree. i really dont care about waste. like phone chargers will change anything with human consumption these days. if i spend 500+ i want a charger. doesnt matter if its my first or tenth charger. it should come as standard. its annoying when you buy something expensive and it doesnt come with a charger. and i would hate it if phone companies would start doing this too.

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

By the sounds of it you'd have rather saved the money from them including that charger in the box anyway?

What do you mean?

When will Samsung use PD charging instead?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

It doesn't make sense to think about reducing waste when buying a brand new phone... 

Buy a used phone instead, saves another device from being wasted. 

I mean if you have a reasonable phone upgrade cycle, the charger from your previous phone would've been insufficient or slower than the newer chargers.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Well, enjoy your new device for same cost and paying 15€ extra for the cable and 20€ extra for the charger. SAVINGS!

I think your forgetting wireless charging, which is the future. Too expensive to bundle, but ubiquitous. Have them in cars now too, and will always be reused.

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

I think your forgetting wireless charging, which is the future. Too expensive to bundle, but ubiquitous. Have them in cars now too, and will always be reused.

Wireless charging is so inefficient it's a very distant future. Just look at OnePlus which requires you to have a proprietary wireless charger with a god damn fan to even work. You may just as well stick a charger in it with a cable...

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Wireless charging is so inefficient it's a very distant future. Just look at OnePlus which requires you to have a proprietary wireless charger with a god damn fan to even work. You may just as well stick a charger in it with a cable...

All you have to do is put your phone down and wait. Easy to do when you get home and just use calls and messages from your computer. Even CarPlay is wireless. 

if wireless charging takes too long, you bought bad stuff. Works great for my iPhone and cheap AliExpress chargers

I have so many old chargers that I'm playing with them soldering the cables onto shitty electronic toys that more or less match the voltage, my biggest success is connecting 2 light bulb strips powered with 3xAA batteries each that we had over the bed to a single 9V charger, no longer do we need to replace the batteries after 2 hours of usage.

That being said, I've more 5V chargers than I need, especially because I tend to use the higher quality ones and the cheap stuff stays in the box. The old pre micro-usb(even not usb at all) stuff ends up as cable donors for headphones to solder or fixing flashlights. I would also not sell that because it's next to wrthless but I'd be at fault if someone's device dies while using them.

What that means is, I am happy that Oneplus gave me a charger in the box, however, if the charger is a simple QC 2.0 or worse, there's a high chance I will never use it, if a phone offers Quick charge but the included charger does not(like my friend's Sony phone), that is a complete waste and annoyance.

As long as there's new technology coming out, I might prefer to buy a Dash Charger instead of using an old one, which means the old chargers are a waste from my POV, so for me, even if it's caused by greed, such change is fine. I also expect the prices of genuine brand chargers to fall.

21 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

All you have to do is put your phone down and wait. Easy to do when you get home and just use calls and messages from your computer. Even CarPlay is wireless. 

if wireless charging takes too long, you bought bad stuff. Works great for my iPhone and cheap AliExpress chargers

Not everyone charges their phone through entire night and then bitches why battery crapped out after 2 years because it was charging in hot conditions and then stayed at 100% the rest of the night, every night... I have a Qi charger and charges "sufficiently" when I'm not in a rush. But if I need my phone charged in any kind of acceptable time I need to plug it to a wired charger. People complain how slow 5W charger from Apple is yet everyone seems to charge phones over night. Weird logic there... I charge my phone to 80% only and even with stock 5W charger it's surprisingly fast up to 80% where I unplug it anyways. Battery still at 100% quality.

10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Not everyone charges their phone through entire night and then bitches why battery crapped out after 2 years because it was charging in hot conditions and then stayed at 100% the rest of the night, every night... I have a Qi charger and charges "sufficiently" when I'm not in a rush. But if I need my phone charged in any kind of acceptable time I need to plug it to a wired charger. People complain how slow 5W charger from Apple is yet everyone seems to charge phones over night. Weird logic there... I charge my phone to 80% only and even with stock 5W charger it's surprisingly fast up to 80% where I unplug it anyways. Battery still at 100% quality.

Apple does have a feature where the phone will only charge to 80% or so for the majority of the night, and then complete the final 20% for the time it predicts you will begin using the phone. It's pretty neat, though I haven't seen it in action with my phone since I charge it at random.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

13 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I charge my phone always at night then don't need to worry for the day, have had this habit for years and my batteries last fine. 

9 hours ago, FootFetish said:

I don't like this. If I purchase a $400 phone then it is better come with a charger for me. How much do I save with no charger? $10? That is like saying company use micro USB charging instead USB C in 2020 because they want to save 50 cents on it.

It aint about you and your money saved, its more about the thousands of tonnes of e-waste the world has to endure since there are produced way more charges than the world needs every year. And also they will prob give you a good price on a bundle with phone and charger if you need it, they have been doing business for some years now, i think they might not be completly stupid.

Just now, HomeBoi said:

It aint about you and your money saved, its more about the thousands of tonnes of e-waste the world has to endure since there are produced way more charges than the world needs every year. And also they will prob give you a good price on a bundle with phone and charger if you need it, they have been doing business for some years now, i think they might not be completly stupid.

Lol, no. The charger you pay for separately is 20€. The one company includes with the phone is probably like 2€. For the exact same one. Everyone screeching about e-waste and companies pushing this are not doing it because they give a fuck about planet, but because it'll drive their profits higher. When will you lot learn corporations don't give a shit about anything but money...

9 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I like it to cut waste. most people didn't need the 10th microB and 5W wall wart again.

Hard disagree, first of it's usb-C now and not everyone has a bunch of those lying around, secondly a consumer device (especially one costing in the hundreds of bucks) should include the bare minimum to work.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, Flitter said:

Apple does have a feature where the phone will only charge to 80% or so for the majority of the night, and then complete the final 20% for the time it predicts you will begin using the phone. It's pretty neat, though I haven't seen it in action with my phone since I charge it at random.

Except it's no use for me because I don't charge it every night and during day, this thing doesn't even work at all. If it was at least a user controlled hard limit so it would only charge to 80% no matter what time of the day it is. If anyone actually cared about e-waste, this would be a requirement for every smartphone. Connect phone for charging and it would ask you to either charge to 100% or to charge to user defined limit. And that would be 80% for me. It's equally stupid for my laptop. I have it in living room because it's compact, but came with internal, irremovable battery. I'd prefer it charged to 50% at all times instead of 100% so it would last for ages and still act like an UPS in case if power drops out when using it. Instead it's stuck at 100% the entire time which means it'll die many times faster than it would otherwise. And because it's hardwired, when battery dies, laptop won't even work anymore. Seen that with another laptop, but that one had removable battery, luckily. With battery it wouldn't even boot. If I remove it, it boots fine. So much for giving a damn about e-waste...

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Lol, no. The charger you pay for separately is 20€. The one company includes with the phone is probably like 2€. For the exact same one. Everyone screeching about e-waste and companies pushing this are not doing it because they give a fuck about planet, but because it'll drive their profits higher. When will you lot learn corporations don't give a shit about anything but money...

If i only paint a black picture of the world and hold them to that, will the world ever change? No probably not, and yes it might seem stupid to you that some people want to see the good in things and try to hope that things will resolve itself into a better world, also have samsung given any solid info other than it is concidering it on some phones? And yes of course this will help their bottom line and make the phone even more profitable but is it something to be thaaat mad about? Like i have 7 usb-c fast charges and i only have 2 phones that came with it...

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Hard disagree, first of it's usb-C now and not everyone has a bunch of those lying around, secondly a consumer device (especially one costing in the hundreds of bucks) should include the bare minimum to work.

Right but how many USB C charging cables do you have? I’ve used the same lighting cables for years. My dad who just moved onto a usb C phone already had 2-3 from other stuff. My point stands not everything needs it. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

15 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

If it was at least a user controlled hard limit so it would only charge to 80% 

I’ve called for phones to have larger batteries and then lock out the top and bottom some for better life. And I’ve called for the option to limit charging levels for 5+ years. It’s 1 step