The Future of TVs is NOT What You Think!

James

Buy Quantom Dot Display

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/fDlsNBr 

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/BThL2a

Buy HDR Monitor

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/ZK7dkC

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/6TSP

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Everyone thinks MicrOLED is going to be the next big display technology, but with investment from Samsung and LG, OLED still has a lot of fight left in it, especially with the help of Quantum Dots from NanoSys.

10 minutes ago, James said:

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

mooo, bahhhh bahhhhh, must buy new tv

Are I am the only person here who own not a TV?
Maybe its just me but I dont need one and I dont want to pay the TV Tax to.

From AT. :x

Will they be as reliable as LCD 

talking burning white ,color shift over time?

Holy sh*t you guys ! I really like the editing style and camera movement with the host/ guy who talks atm walking around the set. Really gives some new flair to the videos. I really like it, keep up the good work !

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

This has to be the best video in a while from LTT in a while that checks all boxes, is it HDR? it looked like an HDR video also, also some focusing issue when linus holds the paper 

image.thumb.png.ed1cee2fa5f5e78f4cc7542f18ed76dd.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

That Samsung announcement was made back at the end of march/beginning of April ..bit slow eh :P

Anyway, while QD OLED can be a step up up from current OLED implementations, it wont nearly be as impressive as the step up from LCD.

If they manage to develop it, and it results in improved yields and a cheaper process, then the biggest benefit 'should' be in the price cost for consumers, though that is very much in the hands of the manufacturers and how much profit they want to make (how greedy they want to be).

In the end, this isnt and wont be the kind of display you should feel the need to 'hold of on purchasing a new display' to wait for. A 'normal' OLED will be plenty good enough. Not like the LCD to OLED jump, that was and still is most certainly worth the wait.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

OLED is still organic, whether it has quantum dots or not, and will always have burnin issues.

The only really revolutionary thing would be QDEL, if you can make the quantum dots shine on their own without an organic light source behind them.

This would essentially be the same as micro-LED (the real per-pixel kind, not the backlight kind) as it would create the RGB light itself from each pixel.

Now, the point about the "wide mess" of the output spectrum shown in the video is for a white LED, the kind used in backlights.

(I'm not even going to bother talking about the fake "microLED" technology which is just more backlight dimming zones)

The real kind of micro-LED is having three LEDs per pixel, one red, one green, and one blue.

When you have these coloured LEDs you can get a very narrow spectrum of output light, as shown below.

Emission-spectra-of-different-LEDs-red-l-max-633-nm-blue-l-max-448-nm-green-l.png

The output band width is already very narrow, just like the example given with quantum dots.

So essentially, this magical "QDEL" electroluminescent quantum dot technology is something we already have in the form of coloured LEDs.

QDEL would just be easier to manufacture as it could be printed on a sheet.

The "quantum dot OLED" combination as a half-way step just isn't revolutionary at all, it's just OLED that gives slightly better colours.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So in summary, yes the future of TVs is exactly what you think, and it's 100% not OLED.

The future is having three separate red green and blue light sources per pixel.

Whether those light sources are micro LEDs, or electroluminescent quantum dots, we will have to see.

The point is that there is nothing organic or OLED in the future, and each pixel emits its own light.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It seems like cool tech, but surely combining quantum dots with microled is the actual future (based on knowledge of current technology), considering that microled solves the problem they talked about in the video of blue and green oleds having a shorter lifespan. Because microled doesn't have this issue, surely it would be better, and I believe it will become easier to manufacture than oled even within a year or two, considering samsung itself plans on having a 75" microled tv by 2021: https://www.displaydaily.com/article/display-daily/microled-display-progressing-towards-commercialization

This idea may be somewhat of a stopgap / testing the technology so that they have the science figured out by the time they can mass produce microled, as they can test how oled (which has relatively similar features, if worse in some cases, compared to microled).

edit: I hadn't looked at the website before - it seems like QD-microled is on their roadmap, but qd-electroluminescence is even better. Awesome!

Electroluminescence (EL) is a completely different technology compared to LED. To my knowledge it hasn't been used for multi-colored displays so far. But it is used today for flexible and even stretchable lighting elements.

I don't know if they chose the "wrong" name for quantum dot OLED or if they are developing something new based on EL. The latter would be far more interesting and additional information would be welcome.

I recently threw some shade at "I hated everything about this..." vid on Linus VR hand trackers.

Wanted to come back and say, This is the type of video that is almost an exact opposite of the last one I criticized.

It was well produced, had a nice nod to trendy tick toc videos and was extremely educational about up and comming tech.

Well done guys.

@James just to add to the kudos on this video.

The passing of the light sequence, while visually interesting, also had a great feel of going with Anthony doing some heavy geek science talk, then you with the "common man" explanations to Alex for the manufacturing, just using the established personas of LMG to emphasize the explanations, as well as Riley's science corner, using his more..game showy..feel...Also Linus using the paper graphs..just added a nice, literal, hands on feel to it all.

how much was trying styles, how much was covering gaps caused by the present situation, necesity being the mother of invention and all of that, we don't know, but it was just a really well made video!

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

And I thought when Plasma displays died, we got rid of dimming over time as phosphorous was burning out with time or gas was slowly leaking and all the burn-in issues. Guess what, in 2025, they'll be all back ya all! I personally think it's stupid and only relevant to people who throw 5000€ at a TV like it's nothing and replace it next year with new model for same money, like it's nothing just to have peak image quality for that 1 year. The rest of people really buy TV's until tech is so obsolete they need to buy new one or they buy new one because the old one simply died. Which can range from 5-10 years if not more. I still have Philips 42PUS7809 from around 2015. The first 4K TV from Philips. Image is so good I literally have zero incentive to pay any kind of money to gain tiny bit of image quality. In fact, if I'd replace it at all it would actually be for Ambilight 3 (left, top and right) because mine still has Ambilight 2 (left and right only). Bunch of colorful lights making a more dramatic impact than whole fancy new hyper complicated quantum display tech... And if I had a burn-in anywhere on my display it would drive me insane. That I am picky about as fuck. it already drove me insane when plasma TV's were a thing...

10 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

@James just to add to the kudos on this video.

The passing of the light sequence, while visually interesting, also had a great feel of going with Anthony doing some heavy geek science talk, then you with the "common man" explanations to Alex for the manufacturing, just using the established personas of LMG to emphasize the explanations, as well as Riley's science corner, using his more..game showy..feel...Also Linus using the paper graphs..just added a nice, literal, hands on feel to it all.

how much was trying styles, how much was covering gaps caused by the present situation, necesity being the mother of invention and all of that, we don't know, but it was just a really well made video!

tbh all of that was just to make the video interesting to watch instead of Linus' head reading an essay lol