Even USED Intel CPUs aren’t a good value anymore…

AMD’s underrated Ryzen 3 series is back, and this time they’re taking aim at the last of Intel’s Core lineup that hasn’t been totally wrecked yet. Are they the new budget darling CPUs?

Buy a Ryzen 3 3100:
On Amazon (PAID LINK): TBD
On Newegg (PAID LINK): TBD
On B&H (PAID LINK): TBD

Buy a Ryzen 3 3300X:
On Amazon (PAID LINK): TBD
On Newegg (PAID LINK): TBD
On B&H (PAID LINK): TBD

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

It's a good time to be a budget gamer, seeing the Ryzen 3's, decent RAM and SSD pricing and ample choice in the 100-300 USD videocard options.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Ok, this is epic!

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Should I just go with an R5 3600 in my first build or should I wait until these come out and get a 3300X if I plan on building in a month or so anyway?

14 minutes ago, ThePUNisher96 said:

Should I just go with an R5 3600 in my first build or should I wait until these come out and get a 3300X if I plan on building in a month or so anyway?

Depends on the budget. You should go to New Builds and Planning subforum.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

How does the R3 3100 compare against R5 1600 AF? The price should be supposedly the same, with  1600AF equipped with more cores... would love to see a comparison between these CPUs

Lately I've been looking at a xeon 2678 v3 12 thread, how does this compare? I ask because this xeon chip is 12 cores, 24 threads; cheaper than this ryzen flavor. thoughts?

1 hour ago, dqbd said:

How does the R3 3100 compare against R5 1600 AF? The price should be supposedly the same, with  1600AF equipped with more cores... would love to see a comparison between these CPUs

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

How much better is the Ryzen 3 3100 and 3300x compared to the 3200g? I just got my 3200g in the mail and am wondering if I should return it and purchase one of the new guys.

Will it knock down used Intel quad core pricing? I'm not holding my breath. Some day I still want to get a cheap 7700k or 7740X to play with for per-core competitive overclocking where AMD are decisively less fun.

Otherwise, are they really that interesting? If you don't care about performance, the older gen Ryzen CPUs are still fine. If you do care about performance, you'd probably want to start at 3600 minimum for a serious build. That only leaves price as the interesting thing about them.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

41 minutes ago, KeticHD said:

How much better is the Ryzen 3 3100 and 3300x compared to the 3200g? I just got my 3200g in the mail and am wondering if I should return it and purchase one of the new guys.

Do you need the videocard in the 3200G?

If your answer is no; the 3100X or 3300X would both be better choices.

4 more threads and more single threaded speed (because Zen 2 vs Zen+)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Anyone else notice the GPU in the test rig is like 10x the price of the CPU lol?

• 2 weeks later...

Why does LTT have a cool studio full of cool and talented people, yet every video it's just Linus at his house, usually with a static or a handy cam either doing little prepared unscripted video that takes twice as long as necessary, or one like this, where he just reads a script someone else wrote, which could have just as well been done by a robot.

We are well into month 2 of the two weeks isolation based on symptoms that seem to be based on a marketing decision, rather than reality, since they've never really materialized and this whole thing couldn't feel any more phony.

I just ordered a whole new machine because a 7700k Costs more than a 3600X + 450M mobo, at least in the crazy market here in Brazil. 

I actually opted for a 1600AF because it was cheaper and I need 32 GB of RAM. I won't be gaming either, so Intel would be to upgrade an old i5 6400 machine if it was cheaper. 

Intel pricing here is just ridiculous.