Dark mode suggestion

TheBean
Go to solution Solved by minibois,

Personally I don't feel the need for this.
People should just post proper screenshots and then we wouldn't have this problem. Plus a picture with some more white on it doesn't bother me.

If you personally want it, you could always look for an extension which allows for the editing of CSS and add something like 'opacity: 0.6;' to the image class, like this:

img{
  opacity: 0.4;
}

Simply put, that will lower the opacity of the image (how see-through it is), which will make it blend into the dark background a bit more.

But I am not familiar with CSS edit extensions, so I am not sure how easy it is to add this or even how well websites work with it.

For the people using dark mode, I think a good improvement would be to darken bright images. 

for example: if you are using dark mode and there is a picture where the average brightness of pixels of the image are more than say (178/255), then the image should be darkened to make the average 178. (im using 178 as it is 30% less than the 8-bit number 255). 

To me this sounds good in theory but im not sure if servers would be able to handle that amount of work. Just an interesting concept. 

I think the issue there is the additional compute cost and lowering of picture quality vs the original. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Personally I don't feel the need for this.
People should just post proper screenshots and then we wouldn't have this problem. Plus a picture with some more white on it doesn't bother me.

If you personally want it, you could always look for an extension which allows for the editing of CSS and add something like 'opacity: 0.6;' to the image class, like this:

img{
  opacity: 0.4;
}

Simply put, that will lower the opacity of the image (how see-through it is), which will make it blend into the dark background a bit more.

But I am not familiar with CSS edit extensions, so I am not sure how easy it is to add this or even how well websites work with it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I assume it would work somewhat like this:

if the average pixel brightness is > 178 (let's say 190) the program goes 178 / 190 * 100 = 93% and then sets every pixel to 93% of its original to make the average 178. If the average is already below 178 we do nothing. 

Does this mean we do it per channel? Or do we compute the luminance of a pixel first? Or do we require images in a format where lumincance is already computed? 

I would say it's possible, the compute power required is probably there, but it's not the simplest thing to implement and perhaps not worth it (at least I've never had problems with bright images)

It's definitely possible for us to do it using opacity or CSS filters. It's something I'll consider, but I am a bit cautious about messing up images and making them not display as intended, so I'm not just going to change this right now.

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

making them not display as intended

it could be an experimental setting or something 

9 minutes ago, Saksham said:

it could be an experimental setting or something 

Per-user configuration for things like that isn't feasible with this forum software.

HTTP/2 203

11 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Per-user configuration for things like that isn't feasible with this forum software.

Perhaps this could be done by creating a separate theme? (Dark theme, reduced image brightness)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I would like a totally black background with the opacity setting.

Something like this:

linnn.png

14 hours ago, EL02 said:

I would like a totally black background with the opacity setting.

Something like this:

thus i would just use a css to do something like this

html{
	opacity: 50%
}