Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SladeDJWilson

Need Help with WiFi

Posted · Original PosterOP

I live in a 3 floors house.

In the ground floor there is LAN and WiFi.

How can I extend the range to the third floor ?

I also have a old modem if that can do any help.

Thank you

1 minute ago, SladeDJWilson said:

I live in a 3 floors house.

In the ground floor there is LAN and WiFi.

How can I extend the range to the third floor ?

I also have a old modem if that can do any help.

Thank you

If you can move the router to the middle floor, that would be ideal. If you can't or if the coverage is still bad, you can run an ethernet cable to another floor and put an access point there. Another option is to use ethernet power line adapters, but those can be hit or miss depending on how much noise is on your power lines.

Moving your router and getting a mesh network would be the ideal, not sure if that is a possibility for you but that would yield the best results. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Noctua NF or Corsair ML?  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

Blueberry Pi  R7 3800X Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200MHz  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

Gaming PC  i7-8700k OC@5.1GHz (Delid)  Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2  Corsair H100i Pro  Corsair ML RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

SFF ITX Home PC  i7-6700k  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Sold PC's  Big White

4 minutes ago, The_russian said:

If you can move the router to the middle floor, that would be ideal. If you can't or if the coverage is still bad, you can run an ethernet cable to another floor and put an access point there. Another option is to use ethernet power line adapters, but those can be hit or miss depending on how much noise is on your power lines.

OP lives in India, not sure about how homes are wired there, even older homes in north America don't like ethernet powerline adapters. My parents house is older and when I lived there my 150mb/s internet only sustained 8mb/s through a powerline adapter, my current house I moved into is newer so it actually works as it should. But again mileage may very in different countries. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Noctua NF or Corsair ML?  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

Blueberry Pi  R7 3800X Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200MHz  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

Gaming PC  i7-8700k OC@5.1GHz (Delid)  Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2  Corsair H100i Pro  Corsair ML RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

SFF ITX Home PC  i7-6700k  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Sold PC's  Big White

1 minute ago, JM21 said:

OP lives in India, not sure about how homes are wired there, even older homes in north America don't like ethernet powerline adapters. My parents house is older and when I lived there my 150mb/s internet only sustained 8mb/s through a powerline adapter, my current house I moved into is newer so it actually works as it should. But again mileage may very in different countries. 

Yeah that’s why I said it was hit or miss, maybe he lives in a newer house.

What type of internet connection do you have? i.e. fibre, ADSL, ethernet, etc? 

If you old modem is not in use, and has wifi capabilities (some modems do), then you could use it to create a bridge network (mesh). Or, if you have a spare windows or android device, you might want to try to use software such as "my public wifi" to create a bridge.

Why do you guys SPEND SOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR SIGNATURES?

I don't care about it. It is meaningless.

Probably the quickest fix would be some form of wifi repeater or repurposed wifi-capable router set to bridge/repeat.  The most reliable way would be to run an ethernet cable.

Potentially some better antennae might make some difference, but transmit/receive power's going to be mostly capped by the hardware, so it could be a waste of money.

Powerline adapters will suck unless you have clean, new wiring.

Quick Fix: Run an Ethernet cable to the 2nd and third floor and connect an access point.

Long Term: Get some type of Access point system like UniFi's AP's or I think linksys has some that will connect via mesh so that you don't have to go into your WiFi settings and change which floor your on. 

21 hours ago, snookie said:

your best bet is buying a ethernet cable

So, Buying an ethernet cable and connecting it to my old modem

20 hours ago, skNDstry said:

What type of internet connection do you have? i.e. fibre, ADSL, ethernet, etc? 

If you old modem is not in use, and has wifi capabilities (some modems do), then you could use it to create a bridge network (mesh). Or, if you have a spare windows or android device, you might want to try to use software such as "my public wifi" to create a bridge.

Ethernet

11 hours ago, SladeDJWilson said:

So, Buying an ethernet cable and connecting it to my old modem

Not just a modem. An old wireless router that can be configured into access point mode or a dedicated access point. Once properly set up, you'd just have to connect it physically via ethernet to the main router on the ground floor.

But why not see if moving the current setup to the middle floor gives you adequate coverage to the other floors first?