Was Apple WRONG?? Or too smart...

JonoT
20 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Can't wait for whole room wireless charging.

Me too

I hope you guys don’t make your videos like this one! I know this busy style of switching between cameras and cutting out the split second pauses is popular with YouTubers but I really don’t like it. It’s much more pleasant and feels genuine to watch the person talk and sometimes pause to catch their breath or collect their thoughts when they need to instead of just saying a lot really fast and cutting out every moment that they aren’t talking.

I might be in the minority but had to say it.

The content was good and thanks for the heads up on the new channel (sounds interesting, like classic LTT shoot and drop it in one go filming) but there was just something weird about the video quality. At first I thought that something was wrong with my connection and Youtube was bumping me down to 360p and up again but it turned out to be the video itself. Everytime the shot switched from the wider one to the closer one (with Linus's head still in frame) the video became very noticably blurry, like the lense was out of focus. Is this bad digital zooming or was it intentional?

2 minutes ago, Kedohawyr said:

The content was good and thanks for the heads up on the new channel (sounds interesting, like classic LTT shoot and drop it in one go filming) but there was just something weird about the video quality. At first I thought that something was wrong with my connection and Youtube was bumping me down to 360p and up again but it turned out to be the video itself. Everytime the shot switched from the wider one to the closer one (with Linus's head still in frame) the video became very noticably blurry, like the lense was out of focus. Is this bad digital zooming or was it intentional?

Ya we had focus issues on the main camera! 

What kind of ancient device are those AirPods? No AirPods Pro? pff.

Good luck with the new channel. Could be nice, could just be a shill channel with cheaper prices. But without content, this is just cynic guesswork.

But it already has ~70k subs xD 

I have a feeling that if Tesla was able to get financies, he would be able to make a wireless charging for everything 80 years ago, for basically free. Shame

So you guys are just making an unbox therapy channel?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

unbox therapy but better? i like it.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I don't understand why they can't just make these kinds of videos on the regular LTT channel. They already do on occasion. I feel like LMG might have gotten a bit "channel-happy". How many do they have now? Let's see. Linus Tech Tips, Techquickie, Channel Super Fun, TechLinked, LMG clips, and now Short Circuit. That's 6! 

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

People like to mock Apple, but I kinda understand why Apple sacked the AirPower charger. All these copies are just terrible. They were a bit to eager to announce it though, but I also get it why they were excited so quickly. It would be pretty cool if it worked and they will eventually get it.

I'm running a regular BaseUs Qi charger, Apple Watch charger, Lightning cable and microUSB cable of a single RAVPower 4x USB port charger and it's all right there. I can charge my phone, watch, AirPods 2 (don't have wireless case so Lightning it is) and my ASUS Transformer or powerbank all at once. Sure I have the "inconvenience" of plugging some things by wire, but it's all pretty neatly packed in a small place. And for the Qi charger, I just sort of center the iPhone XR on it and it's fine. Like, roughly center it which is not hard.

Also AirPower as presented initially wouldn't even work with my Apple Watch. I'm using a fancy bracelet style "strap" which means I wouldn't be able to place it on AirPower anyways because it's in a fixed loop with a double folding clasp like found on more expensive "proper" watches. Even their own milanese bracelet for Apple Watch would cause problems actually so I don't know how they planned on solving that. I can charge it just fine with the wireless charger that comes with Apple Watch as I can insert it within the bracelet loop easily.

I'm not a fan of these unbox and demo videos, which explains why you've chosen to put them on their own channel, YT algorithm and such. It's funny that I could tell what kind of video it was going to be just by the way it was shot and edited. It's like you have so little faith in the span of your viewers attention that you've got to cut to another shot every 3 seconds to hold on to it. The content itself seemed so throwaway. It lacked both breadth of scope and depth of analysis, either of which could have turned this into a useful piece of consumer advice. Instead it seemed little more than the video equivalent of a product description.

The limited comparison to the mophie was a step toward proper scope but a long way from the product segment round-ups you've done in the past. I felt like I was waiting for you to pull out another three or four similar products to compare against, but they never came.

The rudimentary charge speed test was a step toward proper analysis but a long way from the single product in-depth reviews you've done in the past. I felt like I was waiting for the cutaway to the graphic that showed the results of a systematic test of how position and orientation affect charge rate, or to a diagram of where the coils actually are in the device, but it never came.

I suppose it's because this is a low-effort low-content content format. I hope this format doesn't detract from the quality or frequency of the LTT videos I regularly enjoy, and I know you'll do whatever proves to be in business interest. I just fear that this lesser content might actually be more profitable.

I dig the more carefree approach to looking at the product. A lot of the unboxing videos seem to be so stiff and so serious that it is not enjoyable to watch. Also, the slight off-camera heckle (a la techlinked) is great, it makes the show seem more nature and less scripted.

Side thought: would segments like "handy tech for under $100" or similar see a revival on the new channel?

Anyone know the name of the song in the background?

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

I don't know if it's just me, but I felt like this type of content would've been perfectly fit on the main channel. I could envision Linus going around the product on the kitchen set perfectly fine.

The debut Short Circuit video features a phone with a keyboard, which is something Linus Tech Tips has showcased before, so I didn't really see what was very different about migrating this type of content to a new channel.

On the plus side, that Linus Tech Tips essence and vibe was kept nicely, I loved the occasional banter in the background.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Would have been interesting to see a tear down. That would have been more ltt style than this lame unboxing video. 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Apart from feeling heavily inspired from Unbox Therapy, I can understand why this content cannot be posted onto the LinusTechTips channel. LinusTechTips viewers expect high production content. 

21 hours ago, Jet_ski said:

switching between cameras and cutting out the split second pauses

Its a sign of an amateur

I refuse to watch that style

I did not watch it, refuse to watch Linus material!

Its edited like that because they dont bother getting a script together for one smooth action shot. Its all chopped up and is amateurish.

19 hours ago, RejZoR said:

People like to mock Apple, but I kinda understand why Apple sacked the AirPower charger. All these copies are just terrible. They were a bit to eager to announce it though, but I also get it why they were excited so quickly. It would be pretty cool if it worked and they will eventually get it.

I'm running a regular BaseUs Qi charger, Apple Watch charger, Lightning cable and microUSB cable of a single RAVPower 4x USB port charger and it's all right there. I can charge my phone, watch, AirPods 2 (don't have wireless case so Lightning it is) and my ASUS Transformer or powerbank all at once. Sure I have the "inconvenience" of plugging some things by wire, but it's all pretty neatly packed in a small place. And for the Qi charger, I just sort of center the iPhone XR on it and it's fine. Like, roughly center it which is not hard.

Also AirPower as presented initially wouldn't even work with my Apple Watch. I'm using a fancy bracelet style "strap" which means I wouldn't be able to place it on AirPower anyways because it's in a fixed loop with a double folding clasp like found on more expensive "proper" watches. Even their own milanese bracelet for Apple Watch would cause problems actually so I don't know how they planned on solving that. I can charge it just fine with the wireless charger that comes with Apple Watch as I can insert it within the bracelet loop easily.

I've got the Baseus charger - how did you get the Apple Watch charger to work? it charges but so slowly, I'm using a Quallcomm 3.0 usb for mine, and i've tried a USB-C charger (from my MacBook charger, so 81W), none of them seem to get it to work properly. Or do you not have the combination charger and its just for the phone.

49 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I've got the Baseus charger - how did you get the Apple Watch charger to work? it charges but so slowly, I'm using a Quallcomm 3.0 usb for mine, and i've tried a USB-C charger (from my MacBook charger, so 81W), none of them seem to get it to work properly. Or do you not have the combination charger and its just for the phone.

No, for watch I'm using original one. Bought two no name chargers for watch and they both fail to charge it. It's constantly restarting and it just stops working over short time. The only charger that managed to get it to charge anywhere is RAVPower's 4port charger. I couldn't get it to work on any meaningful level with any other, not QC3.0 chargers, not standard 2.4A chargers, not original Apple 1A charger and not even on 3.6A supercharger. I don't know why, but none of unoriginal Apple Watch chargers charge it. Granted, they were all like under 5€, but still, that Qi pad was around 10 or 12€ and it's charging the phone great. But with watch, this bizarre nonsense.